Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How challenging should combat in an rpg be?

Andhaira

Arcane
Star Trail had a better end game boss, and one of the most memorable drgon fights ever. (I mean this dragon actually swallowed your character whole and spat out te bones)

Suchy

Arcane
Return to Krondor had very nicely balanced combat. In this regard it was even better than Betrayal at Krdondor. It was quite challenging, required some tactical thinking, but never ended up tedious.

mountain hare

Scholar
AndhairaX said:
IMO Baldurs gate 2 had the best level of challenge in an rpg. It was tough but not ridiculously tough.

Are you kidding? There were so many glitches in the AI that you could exploit, such as Cloudkilling dragons without retaliation, unlimited summons, and the endless spells exploits which totally broke the game. Nothing can stand up to 90+ skeleton warriors (unless it has immunity to +1 weapons or greater!).

Combat in Baldur's Gate II was endless fun, mostly due to the huge spell selection and combos, but it wasn't tough once you had stumbled across the exploits.

Relayer71

Liturgist
mountain hare said:
AndhairaX said:
IMO Baldurs gate 2 had the best level of challenge in an rpg. It was tough but not ridiculously tough.

Combat in Baldur's Gate II was endless fun, mostly due to the huge spell selection and combos, but it wasn't tough once you had stumbled across the exploits.

Still it was a hell of a lot more fun than in anything Bioware has made since.

Like in KOTOR where it didn't matter how you developed your Jedi because you could just use simple attacks to win. It's like all those skills/forcepowers were mostly cosmetic.

sheek

Arbiter
Especially when you saw a lightsaber slice through you every five seconds with no harm done. It's like they couldn't even make new animations, they copy and pasted and retextured some D&D longswords.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
mountain hare said:
Nothing can stand up to 90+ skeleton warriors (unless it has immunity to +1 weapons or greater!)..
Not possible in BG2 where one can summon only few creatures. It was a problem of the first game (I'm not saying BG2 doesn't have other exploits).

mountain hare

Scholar
Jim Cojones said:
mountain hare said:
Nothing can stand up to 90+ skeleton warriors (unless it has immunity to +1 weapons or greater!)..
Not possible in BG2 where one can summon only few creatures. It was a problem of the first game (I'm not saying BG2 doesn't have other exploits).

If you use the "Project Image" spell, you can circumvent the summon limit.

mountain hare said:
Jim Cojones said:
mountain hare said:

If you use the "Project Image" spell, you can circumvent the summon limit.

For fucks sake,
I'm not saying BG2 doesn't have other exploits

Qwinn

Scholar
Nothing can stand up to 90+ skeleton warriors (unless it has immunity to +1 weapons or greater!)

Nothing I can think of that is actually hard to beat lacks that immunity.

Qwinn

mountain hare

Scholar
Qwinn said:
Nothing can stand up to 90+ skeleton warriors (unless it has immunity to +1 weapons or greater!)

Nothing I can think of that is actually hard to beat lacks that immunity.

Qwinn

From memory, Irenicus didn't have resistance to +1 weapons and greater. I know for a fact that I cheesed him during the Tree of Life fight by sending two skeleton warriors to wail on him while I hid off screen.

I'm not sure whether he has weapon immunities in hell.

mountain hare said:
AndhairaX said:

Are you kidding? There were so many glitches in the AI that you could exploit, such as Cloudkilling dragons without retaliation, unlimited summons, and the endless spells exploits which totally broke the game. Nothing can stand up to 90+ skeleton warriors (unless it has immunity to +1 weapons or greater!).

Actually they removed unlimited summons in BG2. Unlimited summons + ranged was what broke BG1 combat, not BG2. BG2 on the other hand had the various problems of being able to fireball creatures out of sight / sic your summons on them while you hide, without retaliation. Having said that, it wasn't exactly an intuitive tactic - I never felt like I was LARPing by avoiding it. I guess the 'sic your skeleton warriors on him while you hide' is SUCH a cheesy exploit that it doesn't seem like I'm self-handicapping for no reason when I don't use it.

mountain hare

Scholar
Azrael the cat said:
mountain hare said:
AndhairaX said:

Actually they removed unlimited summons in BG2. Unlimited summons + ranged was what broke BG1 combat, not BG2. BG2 on the other hand had the various problems of being able to fireball creatures out of sight without retaliation. Having said that, it wasn't exactly an intuitive tactic - I never felt like I was LARPing by avoiding it.

As I mentioned earlier, you can circumvent the summon cap by casting Project Image and using those Projected Images to summon monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom