Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do is worldwide release handled ?

Surlent

Liturgist
Hey VD, is your game going to be only in US ? Will EU and other parts of world get the chance to try your game ? Am I out of luck if I don't have credit card ?

Also I got the picture your uber cool game is coming this year, right ? So is there going to be full cover or at least review inside codex ? I think nowadays indie game devs and feargus from obz don't advertise enough aka let people know they are developing cool and interesting games. So you have as inside codex man perfect opportunity to prep up your game.

Thanks in advance.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Surlent said:
Hey VD, is your game going to be only in US ? Will EU and other parts of world get the chance to try your game ?
Yep, via download or mail.

Am I out of luck if I don't have credit card ?
No.

Also I got the picture your uber cool game is coming this year, right ?
That depends. If we can switch to 3D using Torque, then it would take us at least 6-8 extra months. If we can't, then we can finish the 2D version by Nov. While working on the gameplay features, I totally forgot about revolutionizing the genre by adding shiny and sparkly stuff, so that's what we are doing now. Viva la

So is there going to be full cover or at least review inside codex ?
A conflict of interests has been mentioned, so that's a no. I, however, will start working on a review as soon as the game is released. I already have a great beginning: AoD is like a totally awesome game, so don't be a fagot and buy it already!

So you have as inside codex man perfect opportunity to prep up your game.
Are you, sir, suggesting that I should abuse my position and pimp my game making numerious references to AoD in every news post? Nevar! lol

Psilon

Erudite
Vault, you're considering a switch to Torque? Interesting. I bought the SDK a year and a half ago, but haven't really had time to sink my teeth into it as I've been working on stuff using a different engine.

Let me know what you think of it for non-FPS purposes; it seems like a decent choice of tech for a project I have in mind, but I'm unsure about the best way of ripping out all the FPS infrastructure.

Surlent

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Are you, sir, suggesting that I should abuse my position and pimp my game making numerious references to AoD in every news post? Nevar! lol
HELL YEAH GO FOR IT MAN !

Seriously, every indie dev deserves some publicity. I think you should at least ^*show*^ in codex you're making a crpg. I know I'm hyped up for this.

ElastiZombie

Liturgist
Psilon said:
Vault, you're considering a switch to Torque? Interesting. I bought the SDK a year and a half ago, but haven't really had time to sink my teeth into it as I've been working on stuff using a different engine.

Let me know what you think of it for non-FPS purposes; it seems like a decent choice of tech for a project I have in mind, but I'm unsure about the best way of ripping out all the FPS infrastructure.

I'm curious about your experiences with Torque as well. I just picked up a license a little while ago myself and have been looking into it in my spare time. I believe your game was isometrically based? What issues have you run into in converting? Have you investigated any of the add-ons like the RTS pack? Just curious...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Psilon said:
I don't see any problems so far. The engine is more complex than many other available 3D engines, but it's well supported.

Btw, here are some shots from another indie project at NMA after they switched to Torque:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_ ... ?cat_id=75

ElastiZombie said:
I'm curious about your experiences with Torque as well. I just picked up a license a little while ago myself and have been looking into it in my spare time. I believe your game was isometrically based? What issues have you run into in converting? Have you investigated any of the add-ons like the RTS pack? Just curious...
Camera control handles isometric view well - see the screens above. It's too early to talk about issues, but I'll post if we run into some problems. I didn't check the add-ons yet, but I will later on. Needless to say, I have no need or interest in the RTS pack.

Surlent said:
Seriously, every indie dev deserves some publicity. I think you should at least ^*show*^ in codex you're making a crpg. I know I'm hyped up for this.
Thanks for the interest. As for showing stuff at the Codex, that's what this forum is for. I will talk to other sites later on, when we have more stuff to show, a site, etc.

ElastiZombie

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I don't see any problems so far. The engine is more complex than many other available 3D engines, but it's well supported.

Btw, here are some shots from another indie project at NMA after they switched to Torque:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_ ... ?cat_id=75

ElastiZombie said:
Camera control handles isometric view well - see the screens above. It's too early to talk about issues, but I'll post if we run into some problems. I didn't check the add-ons yet, but I will later on. Needless to say, I have no need or interest in the RTS pack.

I was thinking more of using elements from the RTS pack like the custom cameras and unit selection stuff. I wouldn't want to imply that you should use it to make a real-time strategy game. :)

I would be interested in your thoughts/problems/discoveries in using the engine as time goes on, as I am doing the same for my own project which is more similar to yours than to the ever popular FPS genre.

Vault Dweller

Developer
ElastiZombie said:
I was thinking more of using elements from the RTS pack like the custom cameras and unit selection stuff. I wouldn't want to imply that you should use it to make a real-time strategy game. :)
I see, my mistake then. We've already done the camera

I would be interested in your thoughts/problems/discoveries in using the engine as time goes on, as I am doing the same for my own project which is more similar to yours than to the ever popular FPS genre.
Sure, will post something as we go.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Psilon said:
And what do you think about that *different engine*? Any particular advantages?

Psilon said:
TGE is a game engine, not just FPS-engine. Almost everything FPS-related is in the scripts (starter.fps), which will be just replaced by ours. What about source code part, I just ignore FPS-specific features. Well, several useless *.cc files were removed from the project too, but, generally, I didn't change engine's structure too much. So, Torque is OK for pretty everything.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
ElastiZombie said:
I'm curious about your experiences with Torque as well. I just picked up a license a little while ago myself and have been looking into it in my spare time. I believe your game was isometrically based? What issues have you run into in converting?
"Converting" was not hard at all. All we had to do was to adjust our camera properly.

ElastiZombie said:
PM me, we can talk about it.
Or - even better - mail me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom