Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much cock would satisfy you?

Callaxes

Arbiter
I think that each race should impact the player through it's tradition and culture. There's a reason why eastern Asian people strongly believed in the concept of a noble death. Why muslims all pray 3 times a day, why the dacians were suicidal and why 90% of greek men were homosexual.

King of Dragon Pass did this very well. You had to customize your clan's past and could earn magic points by respecting that past. Example: your ancestors forced outsiders into slavery, this meant that if you did the same when the opportunity came, you would be awarded with magic. So in other words you were rewarded for roleplaying.

Now let's say that a certain race originally came from an arid desert and the only way they could find water was by preforming blood rituals and using herbal drugs. Five centuries later their civilization split and most of them became mercenaries. They later made themselves a valuable reputation for supporting slavery and became the most loyal servants of an old empire which rewarded them by giving a third of it's conquered lands. Two hundred years later, the empire fell, due to weak leadership and corruption. This race later waged a deadly war with a nation of sea monsters which even today still lasts, these sea monsters are their mortal enemy. During the restauration of the 2nd empire, this race ruled against a monotheistic religion, the shaman cult, the laws and principles of king Edward and even fought against the burghese traders (they strongly support the concept of noble blood). Six hundred years later they were the first to participate to the religious reformation fueled by the philosophical teachings of Augustus Ritter that started in the south and eventually split the empire in two.

From this history we can draw the following rules

1. To pay homage to your race's survival, you must preform the same blood rituals that your ancestors did twice a year. Also, because of this, your race has developed an immunity to drugs, earning almost none of the bad side effects.
2. Selling yourself has a mercenary is considered an honor. You also approve slavery.
3. Only the strongest of the strongest of people can benefit from your loyalty and service, serving a weak leader is considered an insult to your ancestors.
4. Ever since the first empire's demise, your people fought against weak leadership and corruption as if it was a plague.
5. You HATE sea monsters.
6. You do not support the concept of One God, although more then half of the continent does, because of that you must spit or curse the idea whenever an outsider brings it up during dialog.
7. You HATE shamans.
8. You HATE the laws of King Edward, your race does not believe in equality between social classes, you HATE the burghese society, to you, they are nothing sort of perversion.
9. Augustus Ritter is the most honorable outlander in your history, whenever he is brought up in dialog, you must praise and defend his name. His reformation (similar to Martin Luther's reformation) is the only change that your race has ever embraced with passion.

Following these rules should reward the player with... something (I'll let you decide what the player should receive for honoring his ancestors). Now here's where it gets interesting. Not everyone always follows tradition, I for one do not believe in slavery although my character was raised to believe in it. Should I be penalized? No! Unlike King of Dragon Pass were such an event would make me lose magic, I should be rewarded with the opposite of what respecting tradition offers me.

Just like in Arcanum were the world is split between magic and technology. In this world it should be split between conservation and change. Each of them gives you a different type of bonus, but it can't be mixed (there's no neutral part). So there's at least 2 reasons to replay the same character. Once to respect tradition. The second time to go against it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hümmelgümpf said:
I like the setting, but the whole concept of racial choice heavily determining attributes of characters sucks. It encourages cliches. Give different races different special abilities, which will be useful to any character archetype, don't simply adjust their attributes.

I don't agree. I love games where a weedy elf actually breaks like a twig when you hit it with a sledge hammer.

It's much better design to let orcs have a higher max strength and endurance than an elf, and make all attributes useful to every class. So an elf won't make as good of a traditional fighter but can stll melee via a battlemage type build that fuses magic with weapons and armor and relies on that to deliver a good chunk of the damage and protect himself as well as special melee moves that are dependent on the more cerebral stats to an extent.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mayday said:
I'm not saying all humans all diplomats. I'm just saying that an avarage human is more charismatic than an avarage lacert and an avarage lacert is stronger than an avarge elf.

Humans as diplomats is not original dude: 4X games have invariably had humans as diplomats. Back to the drawing board. I'm not saying you should tear up your entire idea, but a good 99% of it has to go.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mayday said:
And by cock I mean originality in an RPG.
I've been toying with an idea for a world/story/game lately and I was wondering about your opinions, mostly to see if the cliches can be remedied.

Let's see how that goes.

The world is a fantasy world with a quickly developing technology, basing on archaeological discoveries (energy weapons, scouting equipment, memory modules and battle golems to name a few).

Fantasy world discovers ancient technologically advanced world. Nothing original so far.

If the fantasy world throws you off- well, sorry, not much to help here, it's a matter of my sick taste. First off- when choosing races for the game, I inevitably had to answer a few questions
Why put different races in the game? To allow diverse gameplay and improve the diversity of the world.

Good idea. Not an original idea by any means but good nevertheless. I hate shitty D&D type races where the only differences between them is a 1 point difference in maximum attributes and a few shitty abilities.

What races to put for the best gameplay diversity? A diplomatic race, a sneaky race, a warrior race, a mage race and a technician race.

Nothing original or earthshattering here.

How to design the races? Obviously the most difficult part.
I've decided to put humans in (SHOCK!) -traders and diplomats. Charisma is their strongest point, followed by good intelligence and pretty high agility. All the other stats are slightly below avarage.

Humans have relatively shitty agility IRl. I'd switch it up with dexterity.

For the magic-gifted race, I've decided to put something weird and alien looking. (Shaiah) They have high Willpower and INT, sucky STR and AG.
Same for the sneaker race. (Techin) High AG, high SPEED, pretty good DEX. Low int and Ch, horrible willpower.

What do they look like? Also, despite what the asstard who put both agility and speed in TES thinks, they do in fact mean the exact same fucking thing. Agility = speed. Keep one, ditch the other.

Here are the concepts, if you're interested: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/recesp.jpg . I'm not much of a concept artist so I'd run them through a couple of my more talented friends before doing any work.

URL not working. You're polish i guess so it's hardly a surprise that you cannot into uploading.

Now the world. It is divided into two main continents. The smaller one (continent2) is populated by the industrious lacerts who try to stay out of the political conflicts of continent 1, inhabited by humans and elves. They have enough trouble fighting off the dangerous fauna of their homeland, which forces them to live mainly in underground complexes.

If they have to hide underground then their continent's not really "populated" by them. It's populated by their predators.

Now, the problem is, the real power in the world is The Holy Order of Temere- the church of her priests. They have a big influence on politics, social life and strict control over the avatars. Whenever someone tries to oppose them, the Order warns that because of their "heresy", the whole area will loose Temere's blessing.This in turn forces the ruling aristocracy to take care of the rebels, as unrest in the populace booms immediately. In fact, on few occasions the warnings came true- the avatars disappeared from the given city until the rebels weren't taken care of.

Shitty ripoff of stereotypical medieval Roman Catholic Church. BestExact fucking same religious faction since Dragon Age. :smug:

As might be expected, the Order quickly declared all technology the enemy of life, and thus a sin.

Actually I'd expect the Order (most original name since the Church of Religiosness) to use and abuse that technology for all its worth and at best ban layfags from touching it. But we can't have an original world without a totally new and original religion vs science conflict I guess.

He can use the situation to gain power and ultimately maybe even challenge Temere herself.

I hope this doesn't mean challenge her physically. If you can get your ass kicked by the mortal player belonging to mundane race X and his 3 friends, you're not a god. I smell Dragon age "me and 3 'tards took down an archdemon" level derp out of this option.

Goddamnit, that was a long and stupid article. Your thoughts?

Basic gameplay ideas are solid. The world is mostly shit. Some working links to pictures of the races might change my mind, but only a little because the basic storyline's still retarded. I'd say keep the races and rewrite the story completely.

Archibald

Arcane
I`m curious, how someone manages to find such topic? Does that certain someone writes "cock" into search engine?

Radisshu

Prophet
Humans as barbarians would be pretty original and not that unbelievable.

Angthoron

Arcane
Xor said:
Why isn't Exmit banned yet?

I think Exmit should only be permitted to post in Retardo Land.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom