Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How the illusion and myth of Todd Howard as a good game designer came to be - Todd's Bethesda has never been a quality developer

ind33d

Educated
Bethesda Fallouts are shit and desecration of original IP. Are you high?

Apologies in advanced for the randomness, but I am pretty much spent for the day.

I enjoyed every Fallout. I recognize that Fallout 3 was a giant deparature from the series. But I enjoy exploring and feeling a part of the world that Bethesda creates. I feel less scrutinized for how I play when I am playing a Bethesda game (tes, fallout) than any other games. Most games make me feel like I am being tugged along by the developers watchful eye. TES and Fallout let me explore the world at my own pace, offer many places and secrets to uncover, good music, interesting arms and armor, and the occasional humor (something lacking in most games)

The odd thing with TES though, is that Morrowind, at least for me, was some serious decline at the time from Daggerfall. It took me a while to warm up to Morrowind. Once I did though, I was glad for it. Fallout 3 I was pretty into as soon as I blew up Megaton from the confines of Tenpenny Tower.

Fallout 4, when given a chance, and not looking for some great storytelling (not that many games have that anyways) offers an incredibly packed world to explore. I have enjoyed my time in Fallout 4, for the freedom, exploration, atmosphere, gunplay, collecting, building and it's humour.

I, more than most here, was exceptionally disappointed with Starfield. Almost equally, was I disapoointed with its unfair comparisons to Fallout 4. It resused some animations, yes, but the gunplay was a serious downgrade. No weight to the guns and npc's models, no gore, no vats, a very light and plastic feel. The opposite really. The exploration of those planets was utter garbage. NMS proc gen is light years ahead of the crap Bethesda shat out. The areas on the planets Bethesda did handcraft, was not the Bethesda that made any previous game. It was narrow, cliche, linear and paint by numbers. Absolute dogshit.

TLDR Fallout 4 is unfairly lumped in with Starfield. It shouldn't be.
The bizarre planetary exploration in SF feels like proof that there was an ingame radio until the very last minute. What did they expect you to be doing while walking for six miles? I wouldn't be surprised if originally outposts had a craftable radio tower and part of the gameplay was to spread music to other planets

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The bizarre planetary exploration in SF feels like proof that there was an ingame radio until the very last minute. What did they expect you to be doing while walking for six miles? I wouldn't be surprised if originally outposts had a craftable radio tower and part of the gameplay was to spread music to other planets

https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-howard-says-starfields-barren-planets-are-boring-on-purpose/

Cheng
Everyone’s concerned that empty planets are going to be boring. But when the astronauts went to the moon, there was nothing there. They certainly weren’t bored

Howard
We could have made a game where there are four cities and four planets but that would not have the same feeling of being this explorer." Howard then goes on to reveal that the team working on Starfield made sure that some planets really are empty so that players "get some periods of loneliness"

Last edited:

KeAShizuku

Novice
If they have really been dreaming about Starfield for 20 years you'd think the game would have better story or world lore.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
After the shitstain that was Morrowind, anyone who bought a Bethesduh game is either:

a) a retard
b) unaware of Beth's record
c) a sadomasochist with no life

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's a combination of consoltards discovering an actual RPG when Morrowind was ported to the shit box (same with people finding out what an FPS was for the first time through Halo) and Todd being a Jew and having Jew connections in the gaming media.

ind33d

Educated
If they have really been dreaming about Starfield for 20 years you'd think the game would have better story or world lore.
100% there was a story in development that had lots of different ayys and an order came from up top to purge it all

shouldn't there be frontier imagery, american flags, star trek references, Russian cosmonauts everywhere? bethesda aren't dumb. it was in the game at one point. you can even see xenos in graffiti that the gubmint forgot to remove from the shipped game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom