Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to enjoy Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition without the extra content?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I played the original BG1 several years ago, but stopped after about 10 hours in.

I'm really enjoying the Enhanced Edition because of: Mac support, health bars, screen resolution compatability, zoom in-out feature, bug fixes, etc.

What I don't like is Beamdog adding new areas/story/character content. Adding quality of life features is great, but altering the world/story is a big no no, I can't stress enough how much I don't like this. So how should I avoid such content? Please no mods, I've already started my playthrough and don't want to restart

Tl;dr: Tell me what areas/stories/characters EE adds, so I can avoid them

Antigoon

Augur
Wild Mage, Blackguard and the Monk are the new companions. Besides their quests, I don't think they have added more content.

Gargaune

Magister
Wild Mage, Blackguard and the Monk are the new companions.
Neera, Dorn and Rasaad, respectively, and there's also the sorcerer Baeloth. You can see them listed separately on the BG Wiki (scroll down), including their starting areas, so if you don't want to play Beamdog's added content you can just ignore them when they pop up.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I've decided to use the EE NPCs as cannon fodder.
The way I've decided to play: I can only have 5 'essential' companions that I'll reload saves for in the case of their death. The canon party Imoen, Khalid, Jaheria, Minsc, Dynaheir. When the other companions die I don't reload saves. So far I've lost Kagain and Xzar

kangaxx

Arbiter
I don't think you can avoid Neera, and you're highly likely to run into the other idiots they added just by playing the game.

Just kill them off as soon as you meet them.

Gargaune

Magister
I don't think you can avoid Neera, and you're highly likely to run into the other idiots they added just by playing the game.

Just kill them off as soon as you meet them.
You don't have to take any of them with you even if they force-greet you, there's no point going to the trouble of modding them out. Even Neera, when she starts bleating at you, you can just tell her to fuck off. Though I prefer to take her Gem Bag and then tell her to fuck off.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What's the matter? Can't stand the sight of a strong Nord woman?
Mizhena..jpg

Shaki

Arbiter
bg2ee adds a bear companion that I assume 99% of people miss because it's rather easy to do so and nobody ever discusses him
he's just a bear, he doesn't have much dialogue at all, high fighter stats
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Wilson

image.png
omg, it's the bear!!
Who would've thought, the biggest mistake Beamdog made was half-assing the bear companion. If only he had romance like the other EE chars, Beamdog would be Codex's favourite company now.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
There's also mod which puts back the original cutscenes and videos into EE.

Vyadhis

Learned
Like what everyone else is saying: mod to remove the npcs and the extra shit beamdog added. You can customize the mod so the npc's never appear but their special items appear in the shops. There's also a mod to bring back the old stone UI along with some of the paperdolls. The recreation is not 1:1 but its much nicer looking than how stuff looks out of the box.

Since you said you like "quality of life" changes I'd look into cdtweaks as well. It can potentionally change the location of npcs that don't appear til the game's second half and makes Viconia/Shar-teel appear on far easier maps. You can also change ammo stack sizes among other stuff. I personally don't care for mods like this but won't begrudge you for using them. Everyone has fun in different ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom