Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age How to Enjoy Dragon Age: Origins

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Like a girl, you got TRIGGERED, and started crying like a little baby. But, that's an insult to little babies and girls. Lol

NWN had deeper character and combat than the BGs.

Choice for fighters in BG: Swing your sword, or ax. Lol

Choice for fighters in NWN: knockdown, called shots, parry, and so on. Lmao

Bg is so much more 'complex'.

Idiot.

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Like a girl, you got TRIGGERED, and started crying like a little baby. But, that's an insult to little babies and girls. Lol

Choice for fighters in BG: Swing your sword, or arx. Lol

Idiot.

I'm a big fan of NWN, especially because of the Swordflight modules. I played a melee sorc through them and documented the harder fights in the later chapters on YouTube.

That being said, a fighter having a few more options doesn't make nwn combat better. The magic system in NWN isn't as complex.

You don't have party members but henchman and the OC and official expansions of NWN are pretty easy.

It's not even fair to compare it to BG in terms of combat even though Swordflight makes the combat difficult and interesting.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Choice for fighters in BG: Swing your sword, or ax. Lol

Idiot.
A question, sir: In NWN, can you swing your sword or axe? Because fighters in NWN sound pretty shit right now.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Choice for fighters in NWN: knockdown, called shots, parry, and so on.
Maybe some module made better use of those option, but I don't remember a single time where using one of those combat feat was bringing anything else than larping. You won't beat the DC of high level stuff, and most of those are immune or don't care about thing like knockdown or disarm anyway. The small fry is going to get destroyed due to how 3.5 ruleset work,
I think the only one I used was taut to reduce the AC, parry is borderline useless in solo, and the party member are too retarded to make themselves useful.

Cael

Arcane
Choice for fighters in NWN: knockdown, called shots, parry, and so on.
Maybe some module made better use of those option, but I don't remember a single time where using one of those combat feat was bringing anything else than larping. You won't beat the DC of high level stuff, and most of those are immune or don't care about thing like knockdown or disarm anyway. The small fry is going to get destroyed due to how 3.5 ruleset work,
I think the only one I used was taut to reduce the AC, parry is borderline useless in solo, and the party member are too retarded to make themselves useful.
When you are a RDD, Knockdown and Improved Knockdown works very well in NWN.

Maybe some module made better use of those option, but I don't remember a single time where using one of those combat feat was bringing anything else than larping.
Can confirm. When I played through SoU and HotU last summer as a Paladin, I might have used feats a handful of times before I completely forgot about them in favor of buffing. Just apply haste and maybe bless and stoneskin and essentially you win 99% of fights first try, just with autoing.

DootDoot

Barely Literate
I remember playing it around 10 years ago. I liked it overall (the dwarven quest was easily the best) but it absolutely hated all the fade sections. I'm thinking of replaying it very soon. I'd like to see how much my opinion on it has changed since then.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I remember playing it around 10 years ago. I liked it overall (the dwarven quest was easily the best) but it absolutely hated all the fade sections. I'm thinking of replaying it very soon. I'd like to see how much my opinion on it has changed since then.
Most people play that section all wrong. It is supposed to be a quick, fun, easy, action packed side quest. But people don't figure out the way it is supposed to be played so it becomes a tedious slog for them.

9ted6

Educated
You have to play the series in reverse to appreciate DAO. It's a flawed game but a masterpiece compared to DA2 and DAI which are complete disasters.

When you consider DAO in the sense of how much worse it could've been instead of how much better it could've been it changes your perspective.

DaveO

Erudite
Hmm. At the moment, I *could* try DA:O but I have too many projects lined up 1st. And I'd avoid the "cheese" I remember before I stopped playing. Life stuff and other things happened.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Make some crazy blood mage build/arcane warrior build, turn difficulty to lowest for all trash fights (turn back up for the good have crafted fights), then just focus on the choices/atmosphere and talk to/bring the characters you like. Will be an enjoyable game that way.

Without metagaming/making the rounds talking to everyone or even purposefully pissing you off will show off the C&C that is in the game, but was made way too easy to do everything "properly".

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Reinhardt

Arcane
depends which floor you live on and if you have physical copy to throw from the window.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom