Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am searching for 2 games

fatzuzake

Novice
Hello! Before I post, I want to excuse myself for the bad english, cause it is not my native language. Second, I noticed that most members are quite agressive regarding noob, naive or stupid questions. I hope my post will rise to your expectations.

1. I am looking for an old rpg game. I played it on a old 333 Mhz machine, back in '99. Kit size was around 30 Megabytes. You had character creation screen at first. You could gather a party. It was mission structured. After each mission you could train your party members and buy equipment in a city that looked like towns in Heroes 4. I also remember that wizards learned new spells when you buy them books from the city. And I remember a very expensive Invisibility book. And a very hard fight against some turtles. And a encounter with a troll or orc who was crying and asking for your help. That's all I remember, and no, google didn't helped me this time ( nor gamerankings or gamespot ).

2. I am looking for a new rpg game. I played the famous ones like Arcanum, Bg2, Wizardry8, Nwn1, TES 3-4, EschalonBook1, Gothic 1,2,3 , PlanescapeTorment, DivineDivinity, DungeonLords. Nice ones. I deeply dislike Mmorpg's and non-fantasy rpg's ( like Kotor, or fallout ) . I wonder if other little gems lie somewhere, in the big mud of linear-crappy-not requiring any thinking from the player so called rpg's. I don't care too much about graphics, and I don't care they are old. I am only asking this because I have a personal computer just from 2007 and it is likely I missed some good games released earlier.

Thanks.

P.S.
For the fans of mmo or non-fantasy rpg like the one I mentioned above, no ofense, I don't say they are not good, just not my thing.

Shoelip

Arbiter
If you liked TES 3 you might like TES 2... Maybe.

Temple of Elemental evil is pretty good for it's implementation of the D&D 3.5 edition ruleset.

See if you can find Evil Islands. It's sort of like a medieval real time tactical RPG, which is kind of interesting.

Angthoron

Arcane
fatzuzake said:
Hello! Before I post, I want to excuse myself for the bad english, cause it is not my native language. Second, I noticed that most members are quite agressive regarding noob, naive or stupid questions. I hope my post will rise to your expectations.

1. I am looking for an old rpg game. I played it on a old 333 Mhz machine, back in '99. Kit size was around 30 Megabytes. You had character creation screen at first. You could gather a party. It was mission structured. After each mission you could train your party members and buy equipment in a city that looked like towns in Heroes 4. I also remember that wizards learned new spells when you buy them books from the city. And I remember a very expensive Invisibility book. And a very hard fight against some turtles. And a encounter with a troll or orc who was crying and asking for your help. That's all I remember, and no, google didn't helped me this time ( nor gamerankings or gamespot ).

Not quite sure with the description's slight vagueness, but that sounds a bit like Rage of Mages 2 that was out about at the same time, had towns like HoMMs and offered hireable parties. I seem to recall expensive spellbooks, too, but unfortunately can't say more as I've only played the demo and never got my hands on the full version.

As for the "something new to play", you could try Might and Magic series (but not the atrocious 9th installment), it has some good things going for it.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
For 2, why not Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher? Mileage may vary on the latter, however.

Angthoron

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
For 2, why not Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher? Mileage may vary on the latter, however.

If the computer will be able to handle these, definitely seconded. Also, in before "Witcher is shit".

fatzuzake

Novice
@Shoelip
I tried Daggerfall and the Arena, but they didn't touch my heart.
Temple of elemental evil is made by Troika who also released Arcanum so I will try it definitely. And I am downloading Evil Islands demo. I really like the color of character interface :P .
@lesifoere
I played finished and loved The Witcher. But it was like reading a good book, and not like playing a rpg. Didn't tried mask of betrayer, but tried nwn2 and disliked. Just locations one after an other. Kill all, take a quest, move forward.
@angthoron
Nope, sadly for me it is not rage of mages 2. Just tried the demo. Damn.
I don't really understand what do you mean about The Witcher. You mean it sucks? Cause I can't understand some expressions.

fatzuzake

Novice
Holly shit. It is not rage of mages 2, but by mistake I saw a rage of mages 1 image. And an other. And an other. And Whoooooaa, this is it!!! Search for peasant in the labirinth quest. The town. The map. This is the one I was looking for. Thanks @angthoron, you were very close.
But...I can't seem to find a place to buy or download the demo. Official site is down, and I tried other sites for the demo. Every time I got the error : Not found rageofmages.zip. Anyone got any ideea about a place where I could buy or download the demo for this game??

DriacKin

Arbiter
fatzuzake said:
I don't really understand what do you mean about The Witcher. You mean it sucks?

A lot of Codexers were disappointed by The Witcher.
Most of us agree that the combat in the game was really annoying and tedious.
Practically all of the "choices" in the game (which were really hyped up by CDP) were meaningless and didn't have any real impact on the story.
Also, the sex cards...ugh...

mondblut said:
Prelude to Darkness is an RPG to rule them all, if you can stand crashes.

...and sub-par writing across the board. Not to mention the fact that while most quests are well designed in terms of multiple solutions (often tied to specific character skills), the majority are also heartbreakingly inane.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good game with many strong points (turn-based combat, non-linearity), but I'd advise against expecting it to be the pinnacle of computer role-playing, lest you end up seriously disappointed.

fatzuzake

Novice
@driackin
The Witcher is a special case. Let me tell you how The Witcher is seen from an european point of view. With some russian blood.
The houses, the way they are place in village space, the interiors and especially the cheminees highly resemble the way my village looked and still looks now. When I first entered in a house in Old Vizima was like I entered my own room. When I travelled through the village it was I was traveling my village 20 years ago. No public ilumination, just dirt roads, some dogs barking, wind whistling and moon above shining. So playing witcher was like travelling in the past.
Also some of creatures in the witcher are present in our folklore, like vodyanoi and some others I cant remember now.
Anyway, is all about atmosphere. Dark, cruell, mysterious. And a good story ( for some at least ) . I admit it isn't much of a rpg in the way where decisions affect gameplay, and you are free to do whatever you like. But you gotta admit that it is very good at putting you in a role. The script is written already, and you just play it. But it is a remarkable good script.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I loved the way CDP Red did the setting a lot--art direction, atmosphere and all--but I didn't realize it had that kind of verisimilitude. Good to know that it really does.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DriacKin said:
fatzuzake said:
I don't really understand what do you mean about The Witcher. You mean it sucks?

A lot of Codexers were disappointed by The Witcher.
Most of us agree that the combat in the game was really annoying and tedious.
Practically all of the "choices" in the game (which were really hyped up by CDP) were meaningless and didn't have any real impact on the story.
Also, the sex cards...ugh...

And who made you Hivemind??

There is no consensus on The Witcher

There are more or less 2 lines of thought.
Some people like it for it Choices and Consequences and what the game tried to do.

The other group of people are a bunch of whiny bitches who cry them self to sleep at night becaus there mother didn't love them enough. It is a group so whinny they make EMO's look well adjusted.

DriacKin

Arbiter
CrimsonAngel said:
There is no consensus on The Witcher

There are more or less 2 lines of thought.
Some people like it for it Choices and Consequences and what the game tried to do.
The 'choices' in TW actually had meaningful consequences? Really?

The other group of people are a bunch of whiny bitches who cry them self to sleep at night becaus there mother didn't love them enough. It is a group so whinny they make EMO's look well adjusted.
Somebody's butthurt.

fatzuzake

Novice
@andhairax
I watched it on youtube. What can I say, it seemed like Mario, not that Mario is a bad game, but I can see where is the rpg. Maybe I am wrong, cause I didn't play the game, but I rather not.
@crimson angel and @ driackin
I cannot understand all this arguing about witcher. About choices ,decisions consequences. How much of rpg is or is not. It is just a good game with a good atmoshpere. It is clearly not the king of rpg's, and is not the last piece of shit. It is just a good story, with some rpg elements.

Angthoron

Arcane
fatzuzake said:
@driackin
The Witcher is a special case. Let me tell you how The Witcher is seen from an european point of view. With some russian blood.
The houses, the way they are place in village space, the interiors and especially the cheminees highly resemble the way my village looked and still looks now. When I first entered in a house in Old Vizima was like I entered my own room. When I travelled through the village it was I was traveling my village 20 years ago. No public ilumination, just dirt roads, some dogs barking, wind whistling and moon above shining. So playing witcher was like travelling in the past.
Also some of creatures in the witcher are present in our folklore, like vodyanoi and some others I cant remember now.
Anyway, is all about atmosphere. Dark, cruell, mysterious. And a good story ( for some at least ) . I admit it isn't much of a rpg in the way where decisions affect gameplay, and you are free to do whatever you like. But you gotta admit that it is very good at putting you in a role. The script is written already, and you just play it. But it is a remarkable good script.

Ah yes, very much the reasons I enjoyed it so much myself, the way it's using the Slav mythology is wonderful - and the locations, the music and the overall atmosphere are done perfectly from that point of view. I completely agree with you here.

Save for some bits and pieces here and there, I rather loved the game, and, being of similar origins myself, was able to ignore the rather lousy translation. There's just one point that I found to be in need of complete redoing, though, and that's pretty much everything that has anything to do with the child-mode Alvin. He's just so badly written that I fail to see how I'm supposed to be sympathetic to the brat - or why Geralt should be sympathetic to him. There's really not enough meaningful interaction with him. They could've done more, and they could've done it better.

Also, glad I could help! Not sure where you can find RoM the first, though. I'd recommend trying Abandonware sites for it. RoM 2 is available to "try" on sites like Mininova, however. And, if you can navigate through Russian, there's a demo at http://www.ag.ru/files/demos/rage_of_mages that probably works. It is originally a Russian game so you will have better luck finding it by that.

Texas Red

Whiner
The setting of TW would be more interesting if it would actually be Slavic, instead of Western European. I'd have the first locations have wooden buildings, even the palaces and churches. The place would be overrun with superstition that is silly even for the myth setting, and hordes of barbaric steppe people would be ruling over the place. This is the place where witchers are born. Then you'd move in to some more European kingdom with knights in golden plate, paintings, sculptures and literature everywhere, and Gerald would have to find his place among such sophisticated peoples, who already have colonized and conquered half the world.

But I hear Poland has a huge hardon for everything Western, so doubt it would acknowledge its Slavic roots.

fatzuzake

Novice
Good old 404 error on the russian site. I also tried other russian sites. Just dead ends. Damn.

Angthoron

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
The setting of TW would be more interesting if it would actually be Slavic, instead of Western European. I'd have the first locations have wooden buildings, even the palaces and churches. The place would be overrun with superstition that is silly even for the myth setting, and hordes of barbaric steppe people would be ruling over the place. This is the place where witchers are born. Then you'd move in to some more European kingdom with knights in golden plate, paintings, sculptures and literature everywhere, and Gerald would have to find his place among such sophisticated peoples, who already have colonized and conquered half the world.

But I hear Poland has a huge hardon for everything Western, so doubt it would acknowledge its Slavic roots.

Well, save for Caer Morhen, the beginning does pretty much take place in an area that's dominated by the wooden housing. Granted, the architecture and the whole fact of a castle aren't particularly east-Slavic (and isn't part of the east-Slavic group anyway), but then again, Poland was quite well-known for establishing forts at a certain historical point, so I don't really see an issue there. My own view of it was something of a seriously Slav-tinted Gothic game.

fatzuzake said:
Good old 404 error on the russian site.

Works just fine for me. They could've been doing maintainance, though. Try again, and if you keep getting a 404, try a different browser - if that won't help, I guess there's something with the ISP or the likes. It works for me just fine.

Oh, and try a "Rage of Mages + torrent" search, it does yield positive results that are actually even seeded. Or Amazon or Ebay, if you want to buy it.

jorgamesh

Novice
fatzuzake said:
@andhairax
I watched it on youtube. What can I say, it seemed like Mario, not that Mario is a bad game, but I can see where is the rpg. Maybe I am wrong, cause I didn't play the game, but I rather not.
Dude, you a looking at wrong game. Not wizards&warriors for nintendo but RPG for PC
http://www.heuristicpark.com/deep6.htm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom