Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I love digital distribution

Phelot

Arcane
I love it for the simple fact that I hate CDs. I hate having to "insert disk A" I hate hearing the drive whirl, I hate when a DVD or CD gets scratched.

And I've always been this way. I remember playing BG and actually avoiding going to the Nashkel area since it needed disk 3 which was (for me) the loudest fucking CD I've ever heard. It used to vibrate my whole computer and would sound like Satan was trying to escape my CD-ROM.

That's why I always use cracks. I love them and I wish publishers would understand this and just release their own.

So yeah, I like Steam and GOG and all the others. Fuck your DVDs! :x

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I also like the digitally distributed games are portable. I can play all of my steam games from any computer in the world. My physical games however I have to actually have with me.

Still, I do love a good printed manual, and that's why I'm picking up a boxed copy of SC2 -- Blizzard always puts together exceptional manuals.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
ScottishMartialArts said:
Still, I do love a good printed manual, and that's why I'm picking up a boxed copy of SC2 -- Blizzard always puts together exceptional manuals.

My EU boxed copies of Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne came with a rather minimal and standard manual detailing the gameplay and not much else. There was a PDF on disk that contained a lot of backstory though.

Anyway the backstory is mostly fantasy pulp, entertaining but still pulp. The manual from Arcanum was much more detailed, Crimson Skies also had a very good style, and Infocom beats all.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
You guys got shafted then. The US Warcraft 3 manual was about 180 pages, detailing every aspect of the gameplay, story, world, and lore. Lots of artwork too. Same with the Warcraft I and II, and the Diablo and Starcraft manuals.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah I do miss a good manual. I still have Warcraft 1 and 2 manuals, but even they don't compare to the awesome Wing Commander manual and fighter schematics.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
phelot said:
Yeah I do miss a good manual. I still have Warcraft 1 and 2 manuals, but even they don't compare to the awesome Wing Commander manual and fighter schematics.

Sadly I missed out on those -- I was only 5 when Wing Commander came out and my family didn't own a computer until much later.

Infinity Engine games had great manuals, particularly for Baldur's Gate 1. I miss when the map and manual where as much a part of the game experience as the disks on which the game came.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I like physical releases with a thick manual and other stuff with games that don't have the CD check bullshit.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I usually grab the nocd crack even when I pay for a game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm installing all of my games on the harddrive with no cd.

digital distribution derp.

spectre

Arcane
phelot said:
And I've always been this way. I remember playing BG and actually avoiding going to the Nashkel area since it needed disk 3 which was (for me) the loudest fucking CD I've ever heard. It used to vibrate my whole computer and would sound like Satan was trying to escape my CD-ROM.

I had somethin else (yet somehow similar) with Icewind Dale, when I installed it, there was a 50% chance that disk 2 would fail being read and I would have to do it all over again. It would also make weird sounds while doing so.

Yet it is all nothing compared to the joys of Atari XE and its magical audio cassete drive. Sometimes you had to leave the room altogether if you wanted a game to load, sometimes it ran smooth, sometimes it took a virgin sacrifice... good times.

Loving digital distribution at the moment, especially when I can pay the authors directly. I don't have to use up shelf space on dvds (gone are the days when boxed versions actually offered something of value) and I don't have to fuck about for non-translated versions.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
phelot said:
I love it for the simple fact that I hate CDs. I hate having to "insert disk A" I hate hearing the drive whirl, I hate when a DVD or CD gets scratched.

Whiny rant betrays your youth.

Ever play a game on 4-6 floppy disks? Clearly not, because then you'd know that your whine is insignificant by comparison. Floppy disks had their data surfaces exposed to the world, 5.25" floppies had to be kept in sleeves at all times or they'd be useless in a heartbeat, while 3.5" floppies had a flimsy metal cover with a spring mechanism to protect the data surface.

You actually have to make the effort of scracthing the plastic on a CD to render it unusable, and even then it's not that hard to fix it by either filling in the scratches with toothpaste or just replacing the plastic cover completely. A ruined floppy disk was beyond repair.

And 5.25" drives were actually pretty quiet. If having a CD/DVD in your drive is making too much noise, blame the drive for being a cheap and shitty product.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
phelot said:
I remember playing BG and actually avoiding going to the Nashkel area since it needed disk 3 which was (for me) the loudest fucking CD I've ever heard. It used to vibrate my whole computer and would sound like Satan was trying to escape my CD-ROM.

Why didn't you just do the full install?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i love digital distribution, i hate digital rental.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom