Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I may start some indies in the near future...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I've almost exhausted all the options available to me from mainstream rpgs, so I think soon I will get into the indie scene. What I'm looking for is good C&C and well-written dialogues. Everything else (like combat/tactical options) is significantly less important to me. So if it doesn't have those first two then I don't want to play it.

So, here are the games I'm considering. Let me know if my impressions are wrong.

<blockquote>Prelude to Darkness: Seems like it has everything that I want. It will probably be the first one that I play. I know VD thinks highly of it, but what do the rest of you who have played it think?

Geneforge series: These games also seem to have a great deal of C&C, and the setting sounds interesting. The only complaint I've heard is that they are all basically "the same." Are they the same in the sense that Fallout 1 and 2 are also the same? Because I don't mind that as long as the dialogues are good.

Avernum series: Open-world games that appear to be more like dungeon crawlers than rpgs. Also are "the same." It appears that the gameworld is dynamic based on your actions, with towns being detroyed and the like, but what about dialogues? C&C isn't meaningful to me unless I feel like I'm interacting with living, breathing human beings.

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome: Haven't really heard much about this game, except that you can lead your tribe into an alliance with Rome, or not. That's good but what else?

Eschalon: Seems to mostly be a dungeon crawler with minimal C&C. I likely won't be playing it unless someone can disprove that statement.</blockquote>Did I miss anything?

Andhaira

Arcane
Well I suggest you play Eschalon first. Then the avernum series, then genefode and then prelude to darkness.

Andhaira

Arcane
No dumbass. The vaernum series is the best from all those listed. However, Eschalon 2 is about to be released this year so you would do well to play the first before the new one comes out. Its a great little gem (though avernum's combat is better)

Also, Knights of the Chalice will be released soon, and that should be on the top of your list of to play;s.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You won't miss out on anything if you avoid Eschalon. The game has very nice graphics, and a snappy UI, but that's it. Everything else about the game is just blah. Generic and predictable story, VERY boring combat. Not to mention that the main quest and side quests are 95% fedex bullshit

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
AndhairaX said:
No dumbass. The vaernum series is the best from all those listed. However, Eschalon 2 is about to be released this year so you would do well to play the first before the new one comes out. Its a great little gem (though avernum's combat is better)

Also, Knights of the Chalice will be released soon, and that should be on the top of your list of to play;s.
Did you not read my first post? I said that I cared about C&C and writing and not much else. I read your interview with the Knights of Chalice designer and it seems to be a straight dungeon crawler. In other words, not my cup of tea.

Typical Andhaira, always speaking out of his ass before thinking about what he says.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Prelude to Darkness: Definitely must to play.
Geneforge series: "the same" - copypasted quests, combat encounters and sometimes dialogues from game to game. Not really bad. Worth playing
Avernum - little C&C but decent writing.
Eshalon - few choices with several nice touches. Dialogues not bad for dungeon crawler.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Prelude to Darkness is the only one I played, and it was a great game, if we neglect frequent crashes to desktop (every 15 minutes or so). It has well implemented turn based combat, reasonably well written dialogues, C&C and a hybrid character system.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Alright, I posted this thread on the ITS forums as well and got some good replies, but I still haven't heard much on Teudegar. Come on, surely someone must have played it.

Phelot

Arcane
I've been playing Teudogar. It seems really short and the second main choice of an alliance with Rome is even shorter it appears. It's still good, I have an obsession with collecting slaves though you can't bring them to your home :(

All in all it's pretty small, but I thought it was worth the $15

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Dicksmoker said:
AndhairaX said:

Did you not read my first post? I said that I cared about C&C and writing and not much else. I read your interview with the Knights of Chalice designer and it seems to be a straight dungeon crawler. In other words, not my cup of tea.

Typical Andhaira, always speaking out of his ass before thinking about what he says.
fuck yourself faggot lol

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hobo Elf said:
You won't miss out on anything if you avoid Eschalon. The game has very nice graphics, and a snappy UI, but that's it. Everything else about the game is just blah. Generic and predictable story, VERY boring combat. Not to mention that the main quest and side quests are 95% fedex bullshit

Well, I'll admit that I was quite surprised when I found out what was in the vault and why it was there. And I enjoyed the game despite the flaws it had, many of which you mention here.

I would say that if you're specifically looking for C&C in your game, then Eschalon is not your book of tea. But it's a decent dungeon crawler.

sheek

Arbiter
Unkillable Cat said:
I would say that if you're specifically looking for C&C in your game, then Eschalon is not your book of tea. But it's a decent dungeon crawler.
Book of tea? :wink:

NotAnAlt

Educated
Prelude to Darkness: Broken.

Geneforge series: Decentish. Combat's to crap for there to be so much of it.

Avernum series: Even more combat, same bad system.

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome: Ultima 7.

Eschalon: Dungeon crawler.

Luzur

Good Sir
theres also The Quest, is available for PC aswella s Ipod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom