Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I miss games like Starcon2 :(

Heresiarch

Prophet
So I was itching for some good off-beat space sims but had sadly discovered that apparently SPACE SIMS IS DEAD

I really miss the fantastic, tasteful lulz and humor of it, along with the wonderfully designed aliens with their unique personalities, yet the game closest to it in the "fun" regard is only Space Rangers 2.

I miss hilarious moments like chatting with the Spathi or the Pkunk. *sadface*

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
For some reason I suck utter donkey balls in the SC2 melee. Which makes the game nearly impossible for me :( But the alien races and the combination of politics&diplomacy and exploration&research is great.

Edison Carter

Novice
I fucking agree whole-heartedly.

I might take some heat for this, but Ass Effect and its sequel appear to offer a sort of interaction with alien races that's vaguely reminiscent of Star Control 2.

But then again, it's Ass Effect.

I had hopes that ME could live up to some small sliver of a shadow of SC2's greatness. I was dissapointed, the only good feature it took from SC2 was the race of blue space women, one of which you can bone. And Talana was way hotter then that annoying bitch ME had. Ohh and ME2 managed to take SC2's planet mining and make it 100x worse.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'd rather wished Katauri stopped with their bullshit which is now a KB MMO and did Space Rangers 3 with blackjack and hookers instead. Like being able to build up your own trade empire and interplanetary economics being important (and having crisises). Why do MMO when you have a game several steps away from perfection?

P.S. original russian version of SR2 has better writing

And space sims will stay dead. Sorry man, modern kids only like shooters.

Edison Carter

Novice
Overweight Manatee said:
I had hopes that ME could live up to some small sliver of a shadow of SC2's greatness. I was dissapointed, the only good feature it took from SC2 was the race of blue space women, one of which you can bone. And Talana was way hotter then that annoying bitch ME had. Ohh and ME2 managed to take SC2's planet mining and make it 100x worse.

You know, I barely played the first ME, and never touched ME2. I have heard of the mining in ME2. What's it like, exactly?

Call me crazy, but there was a certain thrill to collecting the minerals in SC2. Not the best part of the game, but it was never totally boring.

Achilles

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

But... you can shoot stuff in space sims too! I love space sims and I am sad :(

Cassidy

Arcane
Alexandros said:
MetalCraze said:

But... you can shoot stuff in space sims too! I love space sims and I am sad :(

There is nowhere to take cover and popamole in Space.

Wait, better to not give them any ideas...

MetalCraze

Arcane
lightbane said:
Eh the idea of this shooter was good. But the exectuion that is a death match game totally ruined it. I mean I certainly would've wished to play a shooter with zero gravity environment being part of the gameplay like that but with well designed non linear levels and complex goals to achieve (as well as complex, more survival-targeted gameplay)

Hory

Erudite
Yes, I miss games which are the work of genius too.
Shofixti.gif

Heresiarch

Prophet
Edison Carter said:
Overweight Manatee said:

You know, I barely played the first ME, and never touched ME2. I have heard of the mining in ME2. What's it like, exactly?

Call me crazy, but there was a certain thrill to collecting the minerals in SC2. Not the best part of the game, but it was never totally boring.

In ME, the lands are 2x larger, the landscape is 5x complicated (which made your car bump and jump everywhere so you can never move straight for more than 5 seconds), the sight is even more boring than oblivion (just vast landscape textures after landscape textures), you need to fucking run around the whole map to discover ore deposit and other interesting stuff (sorry, the Normandy being the most elite starship doesn't need stupid and next-gen stuff like a planatery scanner), and there's almost no wildlife to speak of (except for the occasional bandit camps, which can be destroyed stupidly easy with a couple of shots with your ubercannon from 3 km afar).

Heresiarch said:
Edison Carter said:
Overweight Manatee said:

In ME, the lands are 2x larger, the landscape is 5x complicated (which made your car bump and jump everywhere so you can never move straight for more than 5 seconds), the sight is even more boring than oblivion (just vast landscape textures after landscape textures), you need to fucking run around the whole map to discover ore deposit and other interesting stuff (sorry, the Normandy being the most elite starship doesn't need stupid and next-gen stuff like a planatery scanner), and there's almost no wildlife to speak of (except for the occasional bandit camps, which can be destroyed stupidly easy with a couple of shots with your ubercannon from 3 km afar).

No, he was asking for ME2, thats ME1. In ME2, you do have a planetary scanner. Now, you direct a tiny circle over the surface of the planet to scan it with agonizingly slow mouse sensitivity limit. If you want to replicate the gameplay, open up microsoft paint and create a blank image the size of your screen. Choose the smallest brush size, and fill in the entire screen with the color of your choosing. That is ME2 scanning, and you do it for every planet unless you want your mission to end in failure with everyone dead because you didn't upgrade your plot armor. This is of course in contrast to the fact that you died and the man behind you spent a trillion credits bringing you back from a couple of dead cells.

I thought SC2 mining was OK. It made sense, it was well integrated since spending time mining didn't mean the rest of the universe stood at a standstill while you grinded planets, and it was astronomically accurate.

Jive One

Educated
Anyone know of a Star Control/Starflight like game set in a fantasy setting? Darklands is the only one that comes to mind but surely there must be others?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
dont bother it's popamole consoletard shit
enjoy playing your 3DO console game with it's dumbed down voice acting ("reading is hard") and popamole star chart system

Zhuangzi

Scholar
I miss Star Control 2 like nothing else. :(

Space Rangers 2 is the only thing that comes close - and ultimately the races and story aren't nearly as good. :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom