Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm actually loving Skyrim.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
FeelTheRads said:
I don't. But even with those it doesn't come close to the the retarded shit in New Vegas.
Such as what? New Vegas seemed consistent with itself to me and they didn't fill it up with pop culture-reference-spouting and fourth-wall-breaking NPCS.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DLC/expansion bro. They probably have a weight map of the whole of the continent.

And possibly some kind of automated "remake". Just take the morrowind data files, -> convert them to skyrim files with a "translation layer", ala BGT.

Of course, their new conversation system makes this difficult.

And this is why DLC is the swan song of mods, just like books authors are dicks about you writing in their "world".

Majestic47

Learned
I think someone mentioned it on another thread, in order to derive fun from Skyrim faction quest line as well as a modicum of 'character progression in relation with the world', you need to start a new character, strictly employ the skills that are required to overcome the quest line.

I can see where that idea come from. After three restarts, the game broke apart at lvl 20. Quests have no meaningful gains or rewards doing the Companions at lvl 20, the smithy gave me a Skyforge Steel - supposedly 'the finest steel in Skyrim' it's shit compared to my Elven sword and the Wolf armor is way obsolete at that point. I also have a sneaky suspicion that gold rewards are scaled, too. Because earning 400 gold from talking down someone who tries to pick up a widow seems a bit much.

By 20, Level ups are just waiting for the next unlocking thresholds. And Dragons...yawn. Archery Training. A rebalance mod that doesn't just amp up the damage and hp of enemy would be nice. Maybe make them more numerous etc.

Before you guys start telling me to up the difficulty, I did. I upped it to expert, only to watch my guy in full Orcish being dropped by two Elven arrow from range. With her, a fire-balling mage friend, and a bandit chief with greatsword.

There is almost no feasible way to approach this without potion spamming and kiting these bastards from the distance. I ran with 250 HP and couldn't have much fun when my Nord warrior was forced to turn into archer. I had 40 on Archery with shock elven bow that does 25 lightning damage on hit and it wasn't enough to even drop the hide armor wearing archer in 3 shot while she'll dispatch me in 2. I could cheese my way by just doing sneak archery ...but that's not what I made this greatsword wielding Nord for.

So there's nothing left for me to do except restart - try a new approach or lower it back to Adept difficulty where most things pose a somewhat do-able challenge, but the amount of options the hero had is just too strong for the NPC to overcome.

Short version: Scaled Leveling didn't work for me in Skyrim, this sandbox game would benefit more from zoned monsters instead. A rough tavern rumor guide and such would help to warn the players.

ThunderHorse

Novice
UserNamer said:
so I tried playing skyrim some more and I found myself magically reinstalling and replaying arcanum, very weird.
Anyway I'm enjoying it a lot more than skyrim, and this is only my second playthrough and I forgot a lot of things. But I think the god damned dog breaks the fucking game... how can that mutt be so powerful? I don't want to ditch him, but if I will ever play this game a third time, I must remember to not pick him up
Barbas? He's the dog of Clavicus Vile, hence the power. He's the most annoying thing I've ever seen in a game He bumps you and pushes you around. He give up your position, but he makes an excellent tank. I finally gave him up because he was too annoying.

Gord

Arcane
Majestic47 said:
I can see where that idea come from. After three restarts, the game broke apart at lvl 20. Quests have no meaningful gains or rewards doing the Companions at lvl 20, the smithy gave me a Skyforge Steel - supposedly 'the finest steel in Skyrim' it's shit compared to my Elven sword and the Wolf armor is way obsolete at that point. I also have a sneaky suspicion that gold rewards are scaled, too. Because earning 400 gold from talking down someone who tries to pick up a widow seems a bit much.

So you would like item rewards to be scaled?

Basically the two opposites are:
Either you scale every quest, including reward, in which case you are pretty much at Oblivions shitty scaling.
Or you scale nothing, which means that if you do early quests too late in the game you won't find much challenge and the reward will be shitty at that point.

Guess you could employ clever scripting to ensure that a powerful character will not be given petty tasks, but otherwise...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom