Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Impressions of Secret Armory of General Knoxx so far

Overweight Manatee said:
Borderlands is the definition of level grind. No matter how good your build, how good your aim, how smart you play, you will never be able to fight enemies more then 3-5 levels above yourself. No matter how bad you are, you will never die to enemies below your level. So instead of encouraging good builds or good play, all the game encourages is level grinding. Find a new area, level grind 2-3 levels so that you can actually hurt things, move on to next area and repeat.

That's not true at all. I did some grinding at level 15 to beat a boss (Sledge - but even then, that was a mistake, since I thought the room he's in was much smaller than it really is and thus got pounced around by his hammer), but apart from that, never grinded.

In fact, at level 5 I defeated guys at 10 or so, and occasionally get killed by huge mobs / minibosses (mostly due to wonky respawn and lack of patience to snipe properly, though)

Clockwork Knight said:
That's not true at all. I did some grinding at level 15 to beat a boss (Sledge - but even then, that was a mistake, since I thought the room he's in was much smaller than it really is and thus got pounced around by his hammer), but apart from that, never grinded.

In fact, at level 5 I defeated guys at 10 or so, and occasionally get killed by huge mobs / minibosses (mostly due to wonky respawn and lack of patience to snipe properly, though)

Meh, maybe my memory was off and it was more like 5-10 levels where the enemies were overpowered. But 75% of my time was spent level grinding because enemies in the next area could kill me in about 2 shots, while my weapon was requiring 30 shots to the face to start even denting their health bar, fallout 3-style.

The problem IIRC is that when you start fighting enemies 5 levels above you, its decently challenging, but then it randomly spawns a super enemy 10 levels ahead and you die instantly. So you can't actually fight those enemies 5 levels ahead of you because those random super spawns are so overpowered. This also works horribly against the teamplay aspect, if someone is more then 2-3 levels below you they are worthless unless you want to fight in pussy areas so they don't die as soon as an enemy throws them a bad stare.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
The biggest letdown was the 1 skill they gave you imo, It jumped into the ending kinda fast also, and last boss is easiest boss in the game- With shit loot. Body armour would have been pretty cool. The car fighting was retarded, would have been cooler if they made the car fighting like the concept pics that came out ages ago, with the cars side-by-side and you can jump onto the cars / pick off gunners / kill driver / bump into wall / off cliff kinda thing. Would have been way better then the driving around in circles spamming rocket launcher that you do in the game.

Otherwise it was a pretty good game to play with friends, really liked that bit in old haven or something where you first meet the corporation mercs. Some hard fights in there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom