Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Infinity (GBC RPG)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

As I posted about in 2016, back in 1999 (when I was a sophomore in college), I got hired for my first commercial game work, writing the story for a game called Infinity by a development team called Affinix. The process of getting hired was surreal -- the guy (M.R. -- not sure folks want their full names included) financing the project was like one of these early internet millionaires, not like a billionaire or even close, but he had made a bunch of money cracking SEO on Altavista (!). Anyway, a young backend coder for him named J.K. had made a TI-82 RPG called Joltima, and was working on a GBC RPG called Infinity with a Japanese friend he knew from high school (H.O). H.O.'s brother, incidentally, was one of the original fan translators of Final Fantasy 5. Seeing J.K. screwing around on it after work one day, M.R. decides to fund the project, and they had hire an artist, a writer, and a composer. The composer was someone I'd collaborated with on a failed jRPG project in high school. When their writer flaked, he proposed that they hire me. So I drove out to the strip mall M.R. operated out of for an interview. Among other oddities, at one point during the interview a guy bursts in asking to talk to "Mr. Money Man" and offering to sell him a Rolex so that the interloper can pay for family medical bills. M.R. puts on the watch, examines it, takes it off, hands it back, "Fake. And I own two Rolexes already. The end up stopping because I don't wear them enough."

Anyway, M.R. agrees to pay me $5k to write the script, but the problem is, I'm leaving the country in less than a week for a study abroad period. I write frantically for 48 hours without sleep, turn in the script. He is flabbergasted. $5k for two days work? What kind of madness is this. But nevertheless he pays up. I take the money, use it to travel around Europe with my then-girlfriend, and we wind up getting married. Meanwhile, I use the paid Infinity credit to justify my next job (for TimeGate), which in turn opens the next door (with Bioware), etc. All thanks to Mr. Money Man!

Meanwhile, however, the project winds up stalling, despite me putting tons of unpaid hours designing combat, items, maps, etc. Eventually it gets mothballed. In 2016, the nearly completed project was released to the public. Then some retro company bought the rights, and is now launching a Kickstarter to finish the game (which is like 98% done). Anyway, it was really an extraordinary feat of engineering on the GBC. I don't think my contributions are particularly good, but all the other stuff is amazing and holds up pretty well.

I don't really encourage people to put money into Kickstarter, but I thought folks might at least enjoy checking the thing out.

https://www.infinitygbc.com/

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Thanks for warning us that the writing isn't "particularily good", will be avoiding this one.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There are a billion jRPGs these days, so the only reason to play this one is if you want to play a new GBC RPG. If you do want to play a GBC RPG, it seems silly not to based on the writing, and if you don't want to play a GBC RPG, it require truly extraordinary writing to merit a glance. I can assure you the writing is not good enough in the latter category. Whether it is so bad as to discourage even someone who really wanted to play a GBC RPG, I can't say. I always prefer to provide caveats to the emptors rather than have someone spend their time and money where they regret it.

Tigranes

Arcane
MRY the story alone belongs in that great tradition of American Folk Tales, and its own timeless formula in which incompetence, whimsy, hucksterism and money high-five their way to an unrepeatable monument of culture.

I assume none of the original cast are actually involved in this resurrection, and it's more of a "Herve Caen's file cabinet" style IP pickup.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Quite the contrary, actually. Mat Valente, the sound engineer, is directly involved, as I believe is the composer who got me the job in the first place. J.K., H.O., and myself were all invited to participate however we wanted; I don't know whether J.K. and H.O. are, but I didn't want to because (1) I don't have time and (2) to me, alternations of the text or even the balance work would defeat the whole point of the release. They might improve it by leaps and bounds, but then it wouldn't be a game made by such-and-such teenagers in 1999, etc.

And to clarify further: this only happened because the original crew really wanted it to happen, and put in a fair amount of effort for that to be so. This isn't a situation where M.R. sold the rights against the interests of the creators at all.

Last edited:

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bruh like 1000% over it already.. what to do with the excess money? PS5 port?

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dunno. Kind of amazing!
It quite is. I mean, it's OK to see this as profit already no? Kickstarter doesn't force you to expand further upon the project right? Also maybe the game is out, the copies sold after the kickstarter might even not be too crazy

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think they are doing a lot of physical rewards (cartridges, manuals, boxes, etc.), so I don’t know what the profit margin is.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
And the game is unfinished—doesn’t need thousands of hours of work, but it does need some.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom