Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News IPLY.OB in free fall

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, it should be rather obvious that their console games weren't Interplay's bread and butter. He was the CEO, and apparently the CFO, so he should have known just by looking through company records that console games weren't Interplay's best bet for a thriving future.

It's almost like if Coca-Cola looked at some other company that sells a clear soft drink that's making lots of money and decided to phase out Coca-Cola in favor of Sprite. Then again, if you want a real world example, it's like when Jerrico sold off Jerry's to Denny's and Fazolli's to whomever bought it, so they could concentrate on the failing Long John Silver's franchise.

Rosh

Erudite
taks said:
given his obvious lack of knowledge of the gaming industry, you'd think even he would have been willing put in place someone "competent" from the get-go. perhaps stupid doesn't know it is stupid?
taks

I think I said it before that he runs the company like a psychopath. :)

Point? :wink:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
That Raging Bull forum is the best damn read I've had in a long, long time. It's like a Director's cut of Attack of the Clueless.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
That Raging Bull forum is the best damn read I've had in a long, long time. It's like a Director's cut of Attack of the Clueless.

I dunno, some of them are half-way clued in, like:

http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boar ... Y&read=899

buffet2.0 said:
Luke must have quit. He probably wasn't getting paid and or was afraid of being named with Herve as defendants in a class action lawsuit.

See, I was kind of wondering this myself. Interplay has a contract with the company Luke Haase works for in order to handle their shareholder relations.Herve Caen has a long, long, long history of not paying the contractual obligations with his company.

Now, I'll admit a lot of the questions emailed to him are rather stupid, but if he's contracted to answer questions and be involved with shareholders, he would probably at least answer them with either a meaningless PR answer or just say he can't answer that due to legal reasons.

I just wouldn't be too damned shocked if Interplay kind of forgot to pay those guys.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Despite clearly positive news like losing anything that was worth something, IPLY stocks lost another 13% and is now at solid 0.06 cents. On a related note, Interplay receptionist has confirmed that things are great, people are getting paid, and making Fallout 3. Or Baldur's Gate 3. Or something equally cool.

taks

Liturgist
Rosh said:
I think I said it before that he runs the company like a psychopath. :)

Point? :wink:

stupid != psychopath... psychopaths are usually more intelligent than this...
taks

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
taks said:
taks

Being a psychopath has nothing to do with being intelligent. Not saying that Herve is one though, I'm no psychologist and I've hardly studied his case.

Rosh

Erudite
taks said:

So are most humans in general.

I will have to go with what Azael said. Intelligence has no relevance to psychopathy in any way. Psychopathy is psychopathy. Try to understand the meaning.

I would also like to point out that one of the defining points of a psychopathic individual is that rationalality DOES NOT APPLY AS YOU KNOW IT. Many make actions on an almost instictive level, and police have to use very different negotiation methods for psychopathic individuals that do turn to crime, especially in hostage situations. The trick is to recognize them quickly.

Psychopathic people tend to not give a shit about those around them, or may have some warped fixation with a target or two. In any case, there's often no love lost for the person as they prove that those they should care about are nothing to them. They are so fueled up into themselves they make irrational decisions at a snap.

For a media reference so that some might have a chance of understanding the definition, watch Smallville sometime and observe Lex's father. I personally don't watch the show, but see it occasionally when I'm over at my sister's place. The character is definitively psychopathic.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saint_Proverbius said:
I dunno, some of them are half-way clued in
I agree. Orionquest seems to have his head screwed on right. But take this from frymuchman:

frymuchman said:
Luke Haase got back to me via email today. Here is his message to me and my questions to him. His email seems to subtly say that much is cooking right now for Interplay and that something big is going to happen soon. I was a little encouraged by the fact that he got back to me and that he seemed to insinuate that behind the scenes stuff is happening.
Right? Sounds good? Well, this is what Luke said:

Here is Luke's email to me said:
Troy:

Thanks for your continued patience. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can disclose at this time. As always, you can/should refer to our SEC filings for updates. Plenty of activity going on, and hope to have something to report soon.
Check the SEC filings for updates? What the hell kind of company runs announcements like that? That aside, here's what Troy asked (appropriate name perhaps?)

Troy said:
I had a couple of questions. Can you provide any information as to why Interplay no longer has any D&D games, such as Dark Alliance, listed on their website. Is this due to the deal with Atari? Also, have employees and/or rent been paid yet? Any information that you have would be greatly appreciated.
Now read Luke's e-mail again. Did Luke answer ANY of those questions?

Nope.

Instead, there's just "plenty of activity going on". Yeah, I bet it's the removalists taking out the furniture.

foxes1884 said:
Thanks for the info Fry. I'm glad to hear at least the phones are still connected.

As for what the receptionist said, did she have a deep voice with a slight French accent? : -)
She probably did. By the way, shares are still around the 6 cent mark. Nowhere near the mid-teens or low twenties some of those delusional morons were expecting by now.

taks

Liturgist
Azael said:
taks said:
taks

Being a psychopath has nothing to do with being intelligent. Not saying that Herve is one though, I'm no psychologist and I've hardly studied his case.

psychopaths are usually rather intelligent, though that's certainly not the rule... kind of a by-product so to speak of their lack of any moral qualities maybe. irrational, yes...

i still say he's just an idiot. an incompetent idiot that has probably pissed away mummy and daddy's money, but an idiot nonetheless.

i don't watch smallville either. trying to make 2nd or even 3rd hand diagnoses of anybody is next to impossible, let alone a character written for a tv show. like the writers are any more expert than any of us? or the actors for that matter? :)

taks

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm still in awe at reading the Raging Bull forums on IPLY that none of these investors are asking the biggest, bestest question ever..

How come IPLY reported two profitable quarters in a row, ended the year with over a million dollars in the bank, and then couldn't afford to pay any of it's bills a month later?.

They're all falling over themselves asking who now owns Dark Alliance, which without D&D is nothing considering both Dark Alliance games that are out use that license. I can't see Dark Alliance mattering much in the future without D&D backing it up, either.

Rosh

Erudite
taks said:
i don't watch smallville either. trying to make 2nd or even 3rd hand diagnoses of anybody is next to impossible, let alone a character written for a tv show. like the writers are any more expert than any of us? or the actors for that matter? :)

To say that what you've written is by far the most stupid, asinine, naive, and useless straw man of the month is by far the understatement of the month.

Anonymous

Rosh said:
taks said:

To say that what you've written is by far the most stupid, asinine, naive, and useless straw man of the month is by far the understatement of the month.

You summarized Taks in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom