Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime JRPG combat vs western blobber style combat - Why all the hate?

What do you think of the classic JRPG combat system?

• I love it, it is the best system ever

• There were a few JRPGs with good combat, but they are mostly shit

• The basic concept is good, it depends on how the devs use it

• Kill all weeboo fans (Kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Lol @ the grinding myth. Probably since DW1 there haven't been that many JRPGs that you have to actively grind in, unless you are retarded.

True if you just want to beat the game. But I feel that getting all the side content tends to require more jarring shit in JRPG's compared to western games.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh not really. It's true to the extent that western games will usually let you savescum so much a drunk crippled naked midget can kill a dragon at level 1, but that's a lot more jarring than massacring enemies for a half hour or so at the very end of the game to kill the strongest enemy in it. And even those are generally more about using the proper setup than sheer numbers.

Hyperion

Arcane
The obscene grinding a lot of JRPGs require for being able to complete the side content is far less overwhelming than how obscurely hidden some shit you have to do is.

Even as far back as Final Fantasy 3, think of the autism required to fight 255 battles with the Cursed Shield equipped to transform it into the Paladin Shield before the internet was commonly available.

More than anything, it just strikes me as odd that jrpgs are filled with such young characters all the time.

Hopefully the success of the 3DS Fire Emblem releases lead to more JRPG devs finally getting the picture and let us create at least 1 of the protagonists. I think people would be able to live with a preset personality and reactions if they could at the very least customize their stats and image.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Still less insane than getting the pink tails in FF4.

Those are stupidly overpowered items that you'll never need though. It's not something you have to do. It's like complaining that Drizzt is hard to kill in Baldur's Gate.

Walden

Savant
Jrpgs big letdown is they're developed on consoles. Otherwise they could have been more receptive to a wider and rather mottled audience. More indie projects, more tecnical progress, more costumization(mods, overhauls, less random encounters et similia), less weeaaboooo and anime garbage, and so on.
No, we only get Final Fantasy portings and some Game With Little Girls Oh My God What's Wrong With My Libido.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jrpgs big letdown is they're developed on consoles

Except, of course, RPG Maker games. I think the problem with those is that the bar is set too low for who can make a JRPG. On the one hand, it's great that now anyone can make a JRPG. On the other hand, it's a nightmare that just anyone can make a JRPG. The problem in that case, IMHO, isn't the genre--I loved the Nintendo-era Final Fantasies as much as anyone else, and you can recreate any of them in RPGM--the problem is the lack of skill and effort that a lot of people put into the RPGM games.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I think I finally understand why I don't like many turn-based "blobber" rpgs, jrpg or western rpg.

Many of them have the menu but you can't "move". The lack of tactical movement makes them too simple and mindless.

Contrast that with games like Temple of Elemental Evil or even the non-turn based ones like Baldur's Gate. That unit positioning makes combat all the more interesting and strategic.

Johnny Zaxxon

Literate
Jrpgs big letdown is they're developed on consoles

Except, of course, RPG Maker games. I think the problem with those is that the bar is set too low for who can make a JRPG. On the one hand, it's great that now anyone can make a JRPG. On the other hand, it's a nightmare that just anyone can make a JRPG. The problem in that case, IMHO, isn't the genre--I loved the Nintendo-era Final Fantasies as much as anyone else, and you can recreate any of them in RPGM--the problem is the lack of skill and effort that a lot of people put into the RPGM games.

Personally, I think RPGMaker is fine if you like that classic jrpg style of gameplay. The real reason why those games suck is because the people don't know how to write a good story. IMO, an RPG is only as good as the story it tells. But, I am biased because I just really like a good story

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Behead all storyfags

Well, people like different RPGs for different reasons. Some people like a good story. You evidently are not one of them.

Now I'm wondering what the different reasons are. I'll bet you that someone has done the research. Just off the top of my head here I'll guess that people play different flavors of RPG for story, character progression and epic lewt drops, escapism and roleplaying, optimizing and exploiting, and exploration and discovery. I think the other major reasons why people might play games--most likely socializing, and punishing newbs in PvP--are mostly things that developers add onto online RPGs in order to broaden their appeal.

Is there a separate thread for that? Maybe I should go write one and bloviate over there.

Johnny Zaxxon

Literate
Well, people like different RPGs for different reasons. Some people like a good story. You evidently are not one of them.

Now I'm wondering what the different reasons are. I'll bet you that someone has done the research. Just off the top of my head here I'll guess that people play different flavors of RPG for story, character progression and epic lewt drops, escapism and roleplaying, optimizing and exploiting, and exploration and discovery. I think the other major reasons why people might play games--most likely socializing, and punishing newbs in PvP--are mostly things that developers add onto online RPGs in order to broaden their appeal.
Yes exactly. Agree 100%

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Behead all storyfags

Is there a separate thread for that? Maybe I should go write one and bloviate over there.

Hatred is justified because rise of storyfaggotry led us to decline of RPGs.
Why? Because there are not good writers in gaming industry(except very rare cases like MCA) and good writers often don't end up in gaming development, since to be a good writer, you need to step out of basement. So, when people ask for MOAR story in RPGs, devs neglect gameplay in favor of it. And what we get? RPGs with shitty mechanics and lame stories.

hackncrazy

Savant
Behead all storyfags

Hatred is justified because rise of storyfaggotry led us to decline of RPGs.
Why? Because there are not good writers in gaming industry(except very rare cases like MCA) and good writers often don't end up in gaming development, since to be a good writer, you need to step out of basement. So, when people ask for MOAR story in RPGs, devs neglect gameplay in favor of it. And what we get? RPGs with shitty mechanics and lame stories.

I agree with you 100%.

I really don't understand when someone says: Ohh, game X was so bad but I LOVED the story (generally applies to all of Naughty Dog games). I mean, if you love stories, go read a book or watch a movie. And I'm not saying this because I'm an asshole (which I am)..but just because the best written game can't face a C Movie or a bad written book. Stories in games are just cringy, with Deus Ex Machina all over the place.

I thank God Hidetaka Miyazaki every single day for making games in which the gameplay is perfectly tuned and you don't need to watch 1 single fucking cutscene to enjoy it.

Persona 4 is a game that is very recommended in all corners of internet. But I just can't pass through the 5 hours of cutie girls talking and you making "decisions" that won't matter at all in the end. Maybe is an amazing game in terms of battle mechanics, but is buried so deep within the story that is impossible for me to enjoy.

Damned Registrations

I think the writers don't get their due in the game industry, writing for other mediums often takes years, is backed up by editors, and isn't beholden to random bullshit like a marketing drone insisting the game shoehorn in the quarterly fad that is making the most money at any given moment. Not to mention scripts needing to get rewritten because game content gets cut at the last minute or moved into some DLC package, or some entirely new content gets added in that fucks with the rest of the writing. Not to mention generalized video game problems like trying to think of 14 believable ways for someone to say something at the start of a fight so it doesn't get repetitive or trying to convey information to the player without breaking the fourth wall.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Persona 4 is a game that is very recommended in all corners of internet. But I just can't pass through the 5 hours of cutie girls talking and you making "decisions" that won't matter at all in the end. Maybe is an amazing game in terms of battle mechanics, but is buried so deep within the story that is impossible for me to enjoy.

I don't know, playing JRPGs for the same reasons as western RPGs will just lead to disappointment. That's how I feel about it at least.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Persona 4 is a game that is very recommended in all corners of internet. But I just can't pass through the 5 hours of cutie girls talking and you making "decisions" that won't matter at all in the end.
You what the four corners off the internet also recommend? Mass Effect and Dragon Age. It is a game for storyfags - they won the war bro.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Well, people like different RPGs for different reasons. Some people like a good story.

The problem is that you have better stories in books, movies, comics and even in manga in some cases. Why looking for games with good story when games hasn't the good ones? When I reached some age I realized that most jrpg sucked because without gameplay they were just mediocre quality anime, I don't blame people who likes them, but if they have more than 20 years old then I can't understand their taste :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom