Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kholat - a FPP storytelling / experience game based on the Dyatlov Pass Incident

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Kholat is a FPP storytelling / experience game, developed by independent studio IMGN.PRO, inspired by true events known as the "Dyatlov Pass Incident". We follow the path of a group of Russian students, that went for an expedition in the northern Ural Mountains. The team does not reach its goal, the entire crew dies in mysterious circumstances.

The rescue expedition is being sent. They find the tent, which is cut from the inside. Students bodies, incompletely dressed, are found within a radius of several hundred meters. Everything points to some kind of event, that caused sudden panic, which led to the tragic, chaotic escape. In most cases, death occurs as a result of chilling, but some bodies have other strange damage signs. Player is thrown into the area where the tragedy occurred, years after the actual event, with a chance to discover the real course of tragic events.
About IMGN.PRO – founded 5 years ago, is an indie game developer and publishing company located in southern Poland.

Kholat – exploration game narrated by Sean Bean is going to be released worldwide on 10th June 2015. Kholat will be launched on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/343710/ as well as on other major digital distribution platforms.​

This just looks and sounds really interesting to me. But I don't know, it could just turn out to be utterly terrible shovelware. I'll just keep an eye out for reviews when this comes out.

EDIT: Apparently this is just a walking simulator where you explore and find notes to piece together the story. :/

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The setting, story and location sounded really interesting, but just collecting 9 journal pages, running away from (jump scare) monsters on rails and no interaction with the environment (other than collecting the 9 sheets) is a bit less than I'd expect.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
EDIT: Apparently this is just a walking simulator where you explore and find notes to piece together the story. :/
To be fair they didn't even try calling it an adventure or a real game - when I saw "FPP storytelling / experience game" I thought great, yet another Stanley Parable / Dear Esther clone.

Suchy

Arcane
I liked Dear Esther and Vanishing of Ethan Carter, this seems to be yet another. I read some reviews, mostly positive, with an occasional kid bitching about lack of handholding (definitely not a con). I think I'll give it a try.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Collecting nine pages in a scary environment ? Wow, that Slenderman game did some damage on game design.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I liked Dear Esther and Vanishing of Ethan Carter, this seems to be yet another. I read some reviews, mostly positive, with an occasional kid bitching about lack of handholding (definitely not a con). I think I'll give it a try.

Wouldn't it be easier to just read those 9 pages on youtube?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you like [Kona] you might want to try out Kholat. Gameplay is more bare bones than Kona but the story is more captivating in my opinion. It's based on the Dyatlov Pass incident.
Wow, even less gameplay than Kona? That's hard to picture. Still, thanks for the recommendation.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'd rather we start a thread about possible theories, it's one of the craziest incidents ever.

I watched the best documentary on it in Russian, both of the two most knowledgeable guys on the subject who devoted their life to it agree that it was an "experimental weapon".

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you like [Kona] you might want to try out Kholat. Gameplay is more bare bones than Kona but the story is more captivating in my opinion. It's based on the Dyatlov Pass incident.
Wow, even less gameplay than Kona? That's hard to picture. Still, thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, as far as I remember there are no weapons, no inventory (besides the provided map, flashlight, compass and diary/journal). Basically just a walking sim, it's open world and the 'puzzles' involve navigating the map to find certain places using coordinates.

'True ending' is achieved by collecting all the notes scattered around the worldmap.

Last edited:

Outlander

Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd rather we start a thread about possible theories, it's one of the craziest incidents ever.

I watched the best documentary on it in Russian, both of the two most knowledgeable guys on the subject who devoted their life to it agree that it was an "experimental weapon".

Yes, the most 'rational' (and official) explanation is that they were caught by surprise by an avalanche in the middle of the night, but there's evidence suggesting that wasn't the case.

There's a russian TV show from 2020 called Dead Mountain about it. Anyone watched it? I have it on HBO Max. Guess I should hurry to watch it before they pull it for being, you know, a russian production :roll:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yes, the most 'rational' (and official) explanation is that they were caught by surprise by an avalanche in the middle of the night, but there's evidence suggesting that wasn't the case.
Nope, that is not the official explanation. The official explanation was "compelling natural force". The avalanche theory was one of the first to be dismissed by the investigation.

Outlander

Patron
Nope, that is not the official explanation. The official explanation was "compelling natural force". The avalanche theory was one of the first to be dismissed by the investigation.

You're right, apparently the avalanche official statement is a fairly recent one (2020) tying to the old (1959), and vague, 'compelling natural force' statement.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's vague, but it was the best they could do.

Something made those people run out of the tent in the middle of the night, naked, at freezing temperatures. Therefore "compelling".

You never make camp in an avalanche-prone area. These people were experienced.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd rather we start a thread about the real life incident the game is based on, that has nothing to do really with the game.
Good idea. I'll ask DarkUnderlord if he can add a new functionality to the forums, maybe a button for posting new threads since apparently you can't do this already. We could call it "Post New Thread".

Outlander

Patron
Nobody cares about this game, I guess the subject it is based on can be freely discussed here, dunno.

Oh, and as opposed to Kona, Kholat can be downright creepy at times.

Spukrian

Savant
So I finished this after taking a long break.

Good:
+Sean Bean's voice is great
+The ambience and the environments are excellent, almost makes me feel the cold
+Some of the stealth sections are tense

Neutral:
*The story didn't catch my interest

Bad:
-There are quite a few annoying chase sequences, that's why I took a break from the game.

You know, this game made me realize why I dislike most (not all) chase sequences in horror games. Most of the time they're just prolonged QTEs.

A funny thing, I read in a review somewhere that this game "was just a Slender rip-off". If I had read that before buying the game then I probably wouldn't have bought it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom