Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Legend of Grimrock Dungeon Editor Enters Public Beta

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock

The team behind Legend of Grimrock have launched a public beta for the game's upcoming Dungeon Editor. The only caveat is that you need to have the game on Steam to take part in the beta. Here's the announcement, accompanied by a new trailer:

We have now been working on the Dungeon Editor and modding capabilities effectively for almost four months. From the get-go we knew that there would be lots of work ahead of us, because many things were hardcoded and we didn’t have a level editor when we were originally working on the game. Even so it still took us longer than we anticipated to get here.

The Dungeon Editor is now complete except for one thing. And we need your help with it. Yep, I’m talking about testing.

Because the scripting interface of the editor has so many features and the game has seen such a big internal overhaul to allow modding, testing everything is a major undertaking. So that’s why we announce the start of a short public beta today.

To participate in the beta you need to have a Steam account and the game installed on Steam. Why only Steam? Steam’s automatic update system allows us to do frequent incremental updates to quickly patch issues that may arise. Also we need to be able to isolate the development in a separate branch during the beta. In short, we can react to the feedback more efficiently and keep the beta as short as possible. After the beta has concluded the Dungeon Editor will be available on all available distribution platforms.

If you don’t have the game installed on Steam and would still like to help us, you can give us valuable feedback on the documentation and perhaps help by working on the model and animation exporters if that’s your cup of tea. We are also listening to feature requests about the scripting interface. Are there important functions missing? We know that many of you would just want to start using the editor right away, and we too are very eager to finally release this beast. So our intention is to keep the beta short and sweet and release the editor as soon as possible.

We also would like to announce the release of Grimrock Nexus. The kind folks at Nexus have been busy setting up the site and it should be fully operational today. With both Nexus and Steam Workshop supported we believe modders will be able to reach all of our customers who in turn will have a huge number of great mods to play.

To join the beta right-click on Legend of Grimrock in your Library of games in Steam and select Properties. In the Betas tab opt into the beta using the dropdown there. The Steam Client should then automatically download the beta.

We invite everybody to join in the discussions in the modding forum and help make the editor reach its full potential!​

For the original blog post, click here.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This + the Editor integration with Steam Workshop makes me regret my pre-order on GOG. :(

Also, very entitled guy on the comments:

I’m a software engineer and a good tester. If this beta is leaving me and people like me out, it’s reasonable *for me* to think the testing will not be that good and final product (at least initial release) will be bug ridden.
But more importantly, my time is valuable. I come here to offer it for free, just to find out it’s not accepted. No, it’s not about patience. I’m disappointed, feel rejected and therefore angry.

:butthurt:

mote

Novice
This + the Editor integration with Steam Workshop makes me regret my pre-order on GOG. :(

Also, very entitled guy on the comments:

I’m a software engineer and a good tester. If this beta is leaving me and people like me out, it’s reasonable *for me* to think the testing will not be that good and final product (at least initial release) will be bug ridden.
But more importantly, my time is valuable. I come here to offer it for free, just to find out it’s not accepted. No, it’s not about patience. I’m disappointed, feel rejected and therefore angry.

:butthurt:
Yes but steam requires you to be on the internet, or at least have their social client running, to play a game. Which is a form of privacy invasion. I think it's best to have a game without DRM on your computer, you never know what the future may hold and what policies steam may implement.

That being said, I like playing games, not modding them, so creating maps is a chore for me. I'll wait for a few months and then get "the best" dungeons the community manages to produce.

Micmu

Magister
I'm not bothered by this. Let them beta test it and get annoyed by bugs and breaking stuff between releases, so we can get a bug (and DRM) free final product then.

Gord

Arcane
Yes but steam requires you to be on the internet, or at least have their social client running, to play a game.

Well, there's offline mode. Which has to be activated being online once, yes, but after that you can keep it offline and play without internet connection.

I have bought it from the dev's own site, came with an installer and an additional Steam key, which I haven't used, but I guess I can wait until the editor is out of beta.
And then there's anyway no need for Steam anymore.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
There's a Gog downloader. Any chance it be available on Gog via that route? One of the devs clarified this to a guy that was (mistakenly) complaining that buying from Gog had deprived him of updates and patches. I suspect access to the editor Beta may be a similar issue.

mote

Novice
Well, I don't see how using a buggy and broken piece of software, and then sending emails to the developers detailing how it's broken, is something to be envious of. It's a good concept though because it allows indie developers to get free QA and testing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom