Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Legend of Grimrock Review Round-Up Part 2

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I also want to point out:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/LegendOfGrimrock/achievements

(spoilers)

Going by those stats, only 25% of the journalists reviewing the game played past levels 3-4. Only 22% played halfway through. Take that for what you will, but it's depressing as hell for me to see all these 9/10 reviews and yet so few of the reviewers actually bothered to play the game past the beginning.

And for full disclosure's sake, I did beat the game.

10 years ago, when i was game journalist myself, it was this way already.
Common, i remember people (me included - but only for console and sports game) writing REVIEWS based on previews (not even touching game itself). Just find preview - read it and re-phrase into review.

So people playing at least few first levels is not that bad.

Though still, in past (in my country at least) most of journalists were not payed so obviously (though some were) by marketing of companies like EA for better reviews.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There was a /v/ thread where people found BBS/Usenet posts from 22 years ago and they were all people complaining about how reviews are bought, how reviewers aren't competent, how gaming journalism is a fraud and how games "these days" cater only to the lowest common mainstream denominator.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm having a bad cold and have been feeling like crap. This game is going to make it better! Thank you, LoG.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
There was a /v/ thread where people found BBS/Usenet posts from 22 years ago and they were all people complaining about how reviews are bought, how reviewers aren't competent, how gaming journalism is a fraud and how games "these days" cater only to the lowest common mainstream denominator.

You realise they did complain about valid things?

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'm enjoying this a lot so far. The puzzles are fun, and you never know what's around the next corner. I just hope it keeps the surprises coming.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Awful. It totally killed my productivity today. Bad Grimrock. Bad.

And I didn't even get that far. I keep dying in normal difficulty.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well to make you feel better and give you an incentive to keep working, your game is better IMO and I'll be happy to be ripped off with an exorbitant price when compared to LoG pay my money for the finished product.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer

Well to make you feel better and give you an incentive to keep working, your game is better IMO and I'll be happy to be ripped off with an exorbitant price when compared to LoG pay my money for the finished product.

Thanks! One down, a few thousand suckers to go :D

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How do the two games compare really ? I only had experience with EotB and have been playing a bit of Grimrock lately but locked myself up due to some bug or maybe the game is like that, did not save, and quit. Will play more.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
How do the two games compare really ? I only had experience with EotB and have been playing a bit of Grimrock lately but locked myself up due to some bug or maybe the game is like that, did not save, and quit. Will play more.

You mean UW vs LoG right? I'm not quite sure... This being a Grimrock thread we really shouldn't discuss it here (there's a thread in workshop).

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is what I mean but is UW not your game ? I thought you could drop some words and it is still on topic but OK I will follow the crumbles and hopefully end in the workshop instead of in GD.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
As far as I know, the going was quite rough at times, so unless they perform a real slam dunk with this one it seems unlikely that they'll pull of another self-funded indie.
Almost Human said:
The development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure.
You were saying? :smug:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Almost Human said:
The development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure.
You were saying? :smug:

130,000 € per employee per year. And that is just for the employer costs.

I sure hope they make enough dough to cover more games, but I've seen the same scenario with many other companies. They are all 10+ year industry veterans who probably have families to take care of, so the temptation of secure income can be high even if they outwardly might seem successful with their own venture.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
130,000 € per employee per year.
What do you base that figure on? We have the highest taxes in the world here (Sweden), but 130K € per employe would mean a salary of 100K €. That is a salary only attainable if you're a CEO or a high-ranking government official. A very talented software developer makes 50K € - 65K € a year.
Also, if you own your own company there are far better ways to make money than to use it to pay out your own salary.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Where are the magic skills for the mages? I couldn't find how to put skill points in spellmaking for mine.

I tried taking a screenshot but... They actually disabled those. I get a black image. Funny that a developer that goes with drm-free should do that.

Anyway, on the left of the char stat menu there are three thumbnails, one of which has a green star icon. If you're on the mage character the skills showing are air, earth, fire, ice and spellcraft. If you have available skill points a plus symbol allows you to allocate them. Unless I misunderstood your question that should cover it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
130,000 € per employee per year.
What do you base that figure on? We have the highest taxes in the world here (Sweden), but 130K € per employe would mean a salary of 100K €. That is a salary only attainable if you're a CEO or a high-ranking government official. A very talented software developer makes 50K € - 65K € a year.
Also, if you own your own company there are far better ways to make money than to use it to pay out your own salary.

Based on the average monthly salary that you'd get in a normal software company. Though my estimation formula was based on construction business, so in retrospect the number would be much lower. A lot of money none the less.

Their company was only registered 2011 so cant see the figures yet, but the 2012 numbers will sure be interesting to see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom