Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Leylines by Crystal Shard - now available on Steam!

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
- No neutral cities, monster lairs or dungeons, no epic fights for mana nodes
Leylines do actually have the neutral towns belonging to the raiders. These are mostly the units specific to the scenario roaming the map and bothering you.
In that lizard realm scenario you have the sea full of bunyips, a relatively nasty diving unit of Regency. Thanks to them you could accidently win this scenario if your fellow wizards were unlucky enough to start with the harbor towns. Though it seems that they can't do this now thanks to the v1.1 update.

But yeah, you don't have secret vaults or unexplored crypts with the artefact rewards or something like that here.

Yeoman

Educated
Leylines do actually have the neutral towns belonging to the raiders. These are mostly the units specific to the scenario roaming the map and bothering you.

Yeah, I see that now. I still like the way Master of Magic does it better where neutral cities aren't necessarily out to get you, most of them keep to themselves, it feels more like a natural world you're exploring.

Not sure how I feel about the lizard scenario. At first it seemed really hardcore and interesting because of the plague, like I would send a ship full of swordsmen to attack a city and by the time I get there there would only be half of them left, and I found a healing pool where units can be cured of the plague but it's in the middle of the wilderness and there's monsters roaming about. But then I found out that you could just bring healers to cure the plague. So you just end up being given busywork to lug healers around and the AI (at least in this scenario) can't seem to deal with it so you could just wait outside their cities and wait for their units to die off. Still, I had fun and I appreciate the exploration aspect, but it seems like I've already won the scenario and I still have 2/3rds of the map to mop up. I already spent like 3-4 hours in the map and I just want to end it. Not being able to build on the other cities you capture really, really slows down your expansion.

1.png

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
^Stuff like that does make you want to reconsider bothering with the exploration and just go for abjuration spell/5 monuments victory, i must admit.
This issue becomes bigger on the bigger maps.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Here are my quick impressions, I've only played the tutorial and a bit of the lizardpeople realm scenario so I'm probably still poorly informed about much of the game. Can't comment on the AI yet obviously.
Thanks for the feedback; Radiant will be taking all comments on board. Per Steam board post, if Radiant is happy to implement a custom portrait import option, I'm more than fine with that; I'm not that precious about my art ;)

Feel free to keep posting suggestions / bug reports etc here and/or on the Steam boards. It may take a bit of time to address them all, but we will get there eventually!

Edit: I've also just sent out Steam keys to everyone that purchased on Itch.IO before the game got released on Steam. For those who this applies to, please check your email (the same one you use for Itch) :)

Last edited:

Yeoman

Educated
Played through the Goblin scenario. Another onslaught of roaming raiders. Barely interacted with rival wizards and just ended up banishing them to finish the scenario. I think these maps are too large and make it extremely difficult for interaction with rival wizards to occur.

I finally encountered some heroes, but boy are they rare. Judging from the menu, you can only get a maximum of 3 heroes in one game. I played the Goblin scenario for maybe 6-8 hours and only got my third hero toward the end.

Heroes work differently from most games. They don't level up, they just accumulate experience points which you spend to increase their attributes or unlock skills. It's an interesting system, however, based on the three heroes I encountered (two warrior type guys, and one guy that looks like Snape), it seems they have very samey pools of unlockable skills and they only differ significantly in their starting attributes, and whether they have certain attack types or not (missile or magical ranged attacks). No items to equip on them like in MoM or AoW unfortunately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom