Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lifeless Planet

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's an exploration puzzle-adventure, apparently, that just went out of Early Access and got a full release:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261530/

Lifeless Planet was inspired by Cold War era science fiction stories, posing questions about humankind's desire for space travel. What if you journeyed across the galaxy to another planet, only to find humans had already been there? What kind of person would sign up for a one-way mission, leaving behind planet Earth and everyone they've ever known and love... to go in search of an Earth-like planet?

Equipped with a limited-use jet-pack and a mobile robotic arm, the player must use wits and skill to solve puzzles, unravel the mystery, and survive the Lifeless Planet!

Key Features:
  • Explore 20 unique and atmospheric environments on a vast and treacherous planet.
  • Follow a mysterious young woman as she guides you past dangerous terrain and deadly life-forms.
  • Investigate the startling discovery of an abandoned Russian town.
  • Experience an exciting and intriguing story through rich graphics and cinematic cut-scenes.

Anyone here played the Early Access version? Is it really a puzzle adventure game or more of a Dear Esther-like?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Heh, you've got a point there. Well maybe a fellow codexer will report about it. 20 bucks for a game without gameplay would seem a bit steep.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Steam dude said:
Nah, this is nothing like Dear Esther. There are puzzles, but they're pretty simple and you don't come across them too often. The main puzzles come from just figuring out how to traverse the landscape.

Don't let that put you off. This isn't an action game by any means, but it's bloody good.

Meh. So it's a walking simulator. Will probably buy on sale when it's really cheap.

Explorerbc

Arcane
So I just played this since I am a sucker for sci-fi of this kind, and I liked it.

As mentioned it is mostly a walking simulator, there are a few environmental interactions like "push that barrel to climb the wall" or "dodge deadly plants" but I wouldn't call them puzzles exactly. Also, a lot of platforming.

Animation and textures are low budget, but the overall atmosphere was really cool for me and the landscapes did look nice and gave a genuine feeling of exploring an alien world.

The plot basically involves soviets, space travel and alien life. I think they tried to fit too much stuff in the story for its own good, and at times it will get confusing and have some plot holes. The game is also pretty short (4.5 hours in my first playthrough) so any mysteries you encounter, are usually answered shortly afterwards in a bit anticlimactic way. Still it is interesting enough to keep you going.

Overall a cool concept and a nice sci-fi story even if flawed, if you gonna play a walking simulator pick this one, it doesn't compare to stuff like lesbian teen diaries or dear esther.

Edit: They are gonna release a "Premium Edition" update in March for free so you may wanna wait for that to play it.

Screens:

1024x575.resizedimage

1024x575.resizedimage

1024x575.resizedimage

1024x575.resizedimage

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So it's like The Long Dark or any of the other 9000000 survive-and-do-nothing-else-ever games that recently came out and all promise to actually add a "game" part at some indeterminate time in the future?

I'm looking at you, Starbound.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
So it's like The Long Dark or any of the other 9000000 survive-and-do-nothing-else-ever games that recently came out and all promise to actually add a "game" part at some indeterminate time in the future?

Not at all. This is a finished walking sim, it's underwhelming and shitty but it is done.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not at all. This is a finished walking sim, it's underwhelming and shitty but it is done.

So Dear Esther then, except I suspect it won't get as many "CITIZEN KAEN OF GAEMING" reviews.

Explorerbc

Arcane

Yeah, it's not a sandbox survival/crafting/exploration game. It is a purely linear story-driven one.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
So Dear Esther then, except I suspect it won't get as many "CITIZEN KAEN OF GAEMING" reviews.
Pretty much, there is some crappy platforming in this one but that's about it when it comes to gameplay. No lesbian sex tales or pretentious vague writing either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom