Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Linguist invented Jade Empire language

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Turns out the authentic-sounding "Old Tongue" language in Jade Empire was invented by a linguist. Bio also signed him to make four more languages for Dragon Age. Neat to find out JE has a Tolkien-like twist.

CNet's article is here. Spotted the item at Shacknews.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
"Ooops" is right, dammit. We can't let shits like you running around repeating information all over and over. You fucking disgust me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Ow. That hurts. but is true. Therefore, I present to you on behalf of all Volournia...

Naked Lunch wins. :D

btw, Playing JE, ths langauge adds very little to the game. i sayd it's a little bit better done than the alien langauges in KOTOR. Bah.

EvoG

Erudite
Yea, there was one fellow, who said the same "Tong Fe" line for every chunk of dialogue he had.

So, um, yea I'm fairly certain that actual WORDS were not created, but rather just 'mouth sounds'. :roll: Waste of time and yes, adds nothing at all. In fact, its annoying, as I enjoy a well acted voiceover like the bun maker or inventor. My bet is on the voiceover costs. Once they used whomever they had enough in the game, to make it appear that more than 5 people were doing voices, they had three people record the AncientLanguage.tm speak and jsut used that when the real voiceovers were becoming too common.

Now onto Chapter 5.

Cheers

Balor

Arcane
Hmm... Old Tongue... sounds like a lawsuit :)
Anyone heard characters prononunce 'angreal', 'Saidin' or 'Car'a'carn'? :)

EvoG

Erudite
Exitium said:
I. Hate. Wheel of Time.

Burn in hell, Robert Jordan.

Thats fine, I was only the animator on it(my first freelance contract). The first time the producer said Angreal, I thought he said "angry owl". No biggie...carry on.

:D

Cheers

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Saran said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Is he a cunning linguist?

OW, you hurt my soul. :cry:

(I know you lads are working your arses off on Oblivion so you dont get out much, but jesus, did ya have to use such an old joke?! :P :lol: )

I'm here all week; try the veal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom