Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LotR : War in the North

Baron

Arcane
EA-Dragon-Age-2-screen.jpg

Not that.

e3_SS_05.jpg

This.

Just came across Lord of the Rings : War in the North.

It's multiplayer Action etc etc and bound to upset the Codex's delicate stomach, but damn I'd still rather play this than Dragon Age 2 which seems to get all the coverage.

LotR:War in the North even does DA's signature dish blood sprays better.

http://www.warinthenorth.com/index.php/

It looks better, although not much. There is something that makes me feel uneasy about DA visuals in particular.

Although, LOTR is an incredibly weak setting for a game these days. Even all the movie overexposure aside, the most generic of fantasy settings are at the same level of "quality" as LoTR when it comes to the core details of it. A half dozen cities, fucking elves dwarves, trolls, Good vs. Evil, fucking old. People need to give this setting another 20 years before coming back to it and then try to re-imagine it.

Anything using this setting, I steer wide away from.

Phelot

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
It looks better, although not much. There is something that makes me feel uneasy about DA visuals in particular.

Although, LOTR is an incredibly weak setting for a game these days. Even all the movie overexposure aside, the most generic of fantasy settings are at the same level of "quality" as LoTR when it comes to the core details of it. A half dozen cities, fucking elves dwarves, trolls, Good vs. Evil, fucking old. People need to give this setting another 20 years before coming back to it and then try to re-imagine it.

Practically every RPG uses this setting.

What's shocking about DA:O is that for all it's claims of being "New Shit" it's the same old shit except with grimdark OMG RAPE

Vibalist

Arcane
LoTR gets a free pass from me because it, as far as I know, was original back when it was created and I thought the movies had a very distinctive look for something basically amounts to standard high fantasy.
I'm not into MP games though.

Panthera

Scholar
It just kills me that their 'original story' is really just what Lord of the Rings Online did.

phelot said:
Excommunicator said:

Practically every RPG uses this setting.

What's shocking about DA:O is that for all it's claims of being "New Shit" it's the same old shit except with grimdark OMG RAPE

"This setting" meaning LoTR specifically. Any generic fantasy setting gets an automatic mark down, but the specifics of the setting I cannot anticipate with the same certainty, such as when everyone tries to put their own twist on the generic fantasy formula - not that they ever escape the tiresomeness of the base setting anyway.

As for DA it is one of the most bland settings I have seen in a very long time. There is absolutely nothing about it that made me want to find out more about any particular subject (since the surface material itself was so yawn inducing), and that makes the games all the more detestable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom