Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP] Ancient Domains of Mistery(ADOM) - Mist Elf WHITE Necromancer run

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In ADOM, necromancy is a "chaotic" act of reanimating the dead and imbuing it with dark forces, it alwas shift your alignment to chaotic and requires a corpse and despite everyone being able to use it, only those who chose the Necromancer class can craft more complex undead. But there is a alternative type of necromancy which uses clay and instead of animating the deadm animates clay, creating homunclus, living statues and golems. White necromancy in ADOM is all around constructs and only neutral/lawful mist elves could use it.The greatest price to play to be a white necromancer is to have to be a Mist Elf. By far the worst race in the game. Being very squishy in a game where you can press a key and reload is one thing. Being squishy in a roguelike is a huge problem.

This Let's play will be till my death. I will probably not complete the game, as I never have completed the game, in fact, most of my characters barely get the first one of the five chaos orbs necessary to beat the game. I play very cautiously and will try to be even more, that said :

Character creation :

Creating my mist elf necromancer. I could chose the tree for the benefit in survivability or cup for faster leveling up and more spell knowledge. Spells in this game are inspired by Vancian magic system, they are objects which enter in your mind and you can run out of "frostbolts" and also require PP to cast. Hence getting more spell uses is a huge bonus. Both are incredible good. So I flipped a coin and chose cup due the result. Dumped DEX and maxed TOUGHNESS, picked talents to increase it and my xp gain and created my char. Necromancers always start with frostbolt + another book. I re created my char till I got a healing spell cuz mist elves are extremely slow at natural healing

S7yJOh4.jpg

HnyeshJ.jpg

First dungeon

Remember when I said that Mist elves are extremely fragile? In the starting cave which has nothing, I almost died, a random attack from a random mob and my char went to almost dead. Also found some books increasing my frost bolt usages. After reaching lv 5, moved to the village,

0swZWKV.jpg
3f8L6ve.jpg

Also found "thick furs", as a mist elf, I can't equip stuff with impure metal which makes gearing mainly early on far harder, but sadly the item was cursed and I had to use one of my few scrolls of uncurse on it

NgXLPAK.jpg

First quest :

Now, I wanna get my alignment to neutral or lawful and at find clay to animate. so I visited the village close to the game beginning and talked with a little girl. She lost her dog and wanna it back. Her dog is a time sensitive quest, if you take too long, he will be dead and you would't be able to get "lawful" points. I will try to do this quest but IDK if the dungeon layout will help me or not, if is too risky, I would't risky my charname's life.

KCxvdqq.jpg
jO6EVH6.jpg

And in the first door that I open in the dungeon, I'm blinded by a trap and attacked by a huge ORC horde, I had to pray to my Goddess to save me and she helped me, but it costs piety and praying should be view as a last resort

kFaW1g2.jpg

And ran out of mana during the fight, having to retreat and re heal. But I decided to see how the dungeon is in the deeper floors. There are 6 floors to clear to rescue the dog. The dungeon was good till the 5th floor. Too much mobs, almost died again and ran out of mana, so I leaved the dungeon, healed and to this point, her dog is probably already dead. So I visited the same dog dungeon again only to search new items and found nothing good.

IcnLW8o.jpg

The small cave :

The small cave is a dungeon where enemies scale with 2x your level, there is no level scaling in this game except by this cave and passing this cave is a good way to reach a city with good merchants. Who knows if I can make profit there or not. I need more XP and better items for more survivability so I visited there and got extremely lucky, the entrance to the second floor is close to the exit

FPaFIQE.jpg

And in the second floor, I found a amazing book of petrification. A OHK spell, sadly I don't have enough mana to cast it. But this spell can be useful in about 15+ levels.

gczs4ci.jpg

And that is it, my first session. My objectives are now, finding reagents for my white necromancy, better defensive gear and more spell tomes.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After playing a bit more, reached the "hidden city" and the merchant there sell clay for my white "necromancy". in the rest of the cave I also found a great Mitrhil shield

raJhiOA.jpg
aDhMOTF.jpg

So I entered the cave of chaos and decided to go deep and deep till I find the dwarven city, but in the middle of the way, remembered about the first random dungeon with a lot of money and money and a tome which buffs your stats in the 5th floor hence returned to surface to delve there.

VsrLClu.jpg
RxwNPBX.jpg

And after it, finally could animate constructs and made my first golem. In ADOM, each minion created with necromancy reduces your mana attribute and takes a very long time to it to re reach full. So I returned to caves of chaos, climed till the top floor, talked to the Dwarf leader, did the first quest to kill a troll which I found without any problems

c82eSc0.jpg
EpEz2El.jpg

After it, he asked me to delve deeper and see what is deeper than the animated forest, full of Ents, my golem sadly died and I don't have mana to create another.

U91FutE.jpg
NjPnZQi.jpg
jMPkgNS.jpg

After completing this quest, he asked me to destroy a ogre tribe nearby

GAyCZk4.jpg
vpL5vQ5.jpg

And I did it

RbBqpcG.jpg

After completing the mission, he asked me to become the arena champnion, so I climed up to upper flooors, found the Arena and got 20 wins.

vXXCHwg.jpg
RFV3e3L.jpg

After it, got the golden gladius, traded it for training but was almost with no casting of my offensive spells but had a lot of castings of light spell, hence decided to go into the gremlim cave to see if one of them will drop a spellbook while I spam light spell which damages them. Sadly din't worked.

SvVKIOG.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Since I was almost out of spell "knowledge", I decided that I will try to clear some random dungeons at lower level than me and pray for a good book loot, if this also fails, I would move to the infinite dungeon and keep playing in lv 1~10. But luckily I got some good spells there. I always could complete the evil druid quest in the starting quest for a tome of Frost Bolt but since I can use the corpse of the evil druid for a potion of cure corruption, I'm waiting till I'm corruped with a nasty effect.

For those who never played ADOM, corruption is a random effect which "mutates" your character once he gets a certain treshhold of corruption. In the deeper levels of caves of chaos, corruption build extremely fast. In a 12th floor dungeon, I got extremely lucky.

KouefpS.jpg
I74ZviF.jpg
u9LsbMW.jpg

And in the 4th floor, also found a great merchant and bought some spells. Now, as longs I have enough money, running out of spells would't be easy. I picked the talents to increase the chance of shops spawning but a book merchant was so unsuspecting. I got lucky this time.

p15gsvW.jpg

But din't got the same lucky in the rest of the dungeon, except by some hordes of relative high xp enemies to kill in the 10th floor

spxGeNq.jpg

After it, moved to the graveyard in southeast and completed the west for the Dwarf ruler. The first part of the quest, killing the necromancer was easy

YnrhBjG.jpg

But the melee fighter was quite hard. I had to use potions and scrolls to defeat him and almost had to pray.

rm9PLe4.jpg

After it, I lured the guardian golem out, picked the elemental gautlets but SADLY, it is made of impure iron, hence damages my mist elf and due it, I decided to sacrifice it to my deity.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So after playing a bit more, decide to pick the Ring of the High king, brought the climbing set and climbed there in top of the northwest mountain. Delve into the 5th level dungeon, where I had to drop some of my gear and freeze the road to the king, this bloody water is really nasty. I've lost a freaking lv 27 character here cuz I tough that is a mere water. Frost Bolt is a amazing spell to create a bridge. IDK how to pass this part as a non caster.

rAKQSie.jpg
0eKD5wR.jpg
4JBGDOW.jpg

And quickly dispatched the "boss" and got the artifact

hVcGc4K.jpg
j8txD4K.jpg

After it, fought a bit more in Arena till I got lv 19 and used petrification into some monsters to see if worth sacrifice their petrified statues into my deity. Sadly, statues seems worthless, extremely heavy and can't be scarified or animated into constructs...

6k4Mr8w.jpg
CTpAusa.jpg

Now, I plan to do the tower of eternal flames, the main reason which I postergated so much is cuz all items there can and will be under fire. destroyed, and to clear it, I need to be able to dig, hence back to random dungeons till a spell or item which allows me to dig appears. During my exploration, I got the first corruption mutation which makes my hands "poisonous", it destroys any potion which I touch and curses any food, any enemy which will last enough to the poison to be deadly will be immune to it, hence I decided to slay the Archdruid, completing one of the beginning quests and deliver his corpse in exchange for a potion of corruption removal.

wbFBfJi.jpg
IaTamEv.jpg
Q0Gpu22.jpg

After it, entered again in the tower of fire, despite having a lot of fire resist gear and blaket, lost a lot of valuable potion and gear there.

Digged into the Boss room but was without mana and without my life saving potions and scrolls. The boss here is too strong. I would't put my char at risk without adequate preparation hence I will do more random dungeons to recover some stuff destroyed by the heat here.

AsvEPQH.jpg

This boss is incredible hard, with my amount of hp, he can probably OHK me. If this was not a rogue like, I would save scum till I kill him. But this is a roguelike. I can't do that and would't risk my char recklessly.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, that is the end of my run.

In this tower, most of my gear roasts and become dust. I leave cuz I don't wanna to risky my char, go to random dungeons, move back in a endless loop and never manage to kill the boss.

19I2F0W.jpg
1P5YtUG.jpg
9Zn9Dbj.jpg
4wRuZ6b.jpg
vMsscVd.jpg

After being in this cycle for most of my today's free time, I changed my mind about killing this dragon boss and decided to explore places which I din't had explored before. And of couse, almost dying to the boss due the confusion status effect. Also got corrupted again

yjg710H.jpg
AFdkUBk.jpg

Also explored a bizarre ruins which was always locked in my other runs and OMG, the freaking first minotaur almost kills me. Literally with only one hp

ntKMiYN.jpg

After entering hte minotaur maze, things there was crazy. Enemies hit like truck, traps everywhere, no food and minotaur corpses makes you confused, delve until the 3rd level and decided to do other things...

yma12da.jpg
YVkzsPb.jpg

But I din't wanted to do the ice queen quests now cuz :
  • She gives 4 potions of remove corruption, I would prefer to use it when I get nasty bad corruptions
  • She has lots of annoying and powerful servants which defends her
  • Her servants are lawful, killing them would damage my "piety" and hence I would prefer to be crowned champnion before doing it.
But also don't wanna return to the endless cycle of random dungeons and all of my gear being destroyed. So I decided to try to become invisible and reach her without killing anyone.

HMfTH5W.jpg
oANi3jU.jpg

And ... THE PLAN FAILED!!!

Look to this endless wall of mobs

uy4MfK4.jpg

I tried to dig a way around them but also din't worked.

Hence I had to kill them all

pz6tD11.jpg
FWRxHlC.jpg

The rest, I could ignore

7ejVIGO.jpg

And finally reached her, but my deity HATED my massacre against this innocent creatures, so when I was starving and without food since I had to drop a lot of stuff due the fact that ice breaks if you are too heavy and my mace weights a lot, my God game me food but also punished me turning my gear into dust. Only artifacts remained usable.

ST6XFgX.jpg
lykzk04.jpg

Now, I decided to adventure into her first quest.

I will need to make huge donations to make my deity no longer hates me.

Also, I'm too far away from civilization, in southeast of the world map. I would need to get food from monster corpses in the dungeon and would't be able to use my amazing mace cuz remember, impure metal hurts mist elves, as a mist elf, without gauntlets, the mace will damage me every single turn.

But got lucky in the dungeon and found a crystal scale mail which gives +10 DR early on.

F4CbmT9.jpg
TUK85bU.jpg

Also found gloves in the 3rd floor

9W0O0h8.jpg
774WhWb.jpg

But in the 4th floor, I saw that I would need to cross a river, used frost bolt to make a bridge but forgot to drop my gear, the ice broke and I fell under water. With poor swimming skills. Tried to pray but my deity hates me and punished me. Tried to teleport but failed, and finally, tried to swim and also failed. So I died at lv 23 as a mist elf necromancer. And that is it, my mistake.

e68hhjs.jpg

If was not in a roguelike, such mistake would only have cost me some seconds of reload. And I had teleport spell, why I decided to not use it? IDK why but I'm dead and was my mistake. In this run, I got lucky many times and many mistakes which I did went consequenceless.

Johannes

Arcane
Hmm makes me want to try the new version of the game, played the shit out of ADOM 1.1.1 back in the day.

But reading your story, seems you carry all your shit with you constantly? You should leave some stuff to a stash, like corruption potions you get from quests. And most of things that aren't vital, when entering the Tower. Start of CoC is a good place to stash shit for example.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks. Where is a good place to put items in a stash? I tried the dwarf town and my potions got stolen. Also tried in the starting cave and my items also disappeared. I'm noob in this game. Started to play this year and din't finished yet, the deepest which I reached was the temple of mana but died there cuz I run out of some spells and got over corrupted to the point that NPC's started to attack me, it started to happen after I got a aura.

Johannes

Arcane
If something wanders to the item stack, they might take it. So locations with tons of friendlies like Dwarftown or the overland villages are terrible, you can't even hunt down the thief without angering that place. At the top of a dungeon you don't care to visit deeper into, or don't need to spend much time in, works well. Monsters only move (and so have a chance to go after that gear) when you're on that specific level.
For 100% safety the ogre quest dungeon from dwarftown works at least, that place will not spawn any monsters after you clear it out.

But I'm working off 1.1.1 info, that might be outdated in some part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom