Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ludus Mortis Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: 68k Studios; Ludus Mortis

STORY
Rome, 4th Century AD. Over the last few decades the Senate has become corrupt and has progressively lost power and influence, while the Emperor Diocletian and his army ruled unchallenged outside the eternal city.

Seeking to return to a dominant position, the members of the Roman Senate decide to use necromancy to increase their power, creating an army of undead and demons to fight against imperial soldiers.

By waging war on its own emperor, the Senate has caused a rift in the Roman population, which slowly began to live in fear.

Year after year the armies of undead summoned by the Senate have taken over, imposing themselves on the senators and enslaving the Roman population.

In this climate of chaos, an ancient gladiatorial school continued to train soldiers for the games. But the purpose of these gladiators is now different: to rid the city of the undead and invaders...to allow Rome to return to its former glory.

GAMEPLAY
Ludus Mortis
is a Grid-Based First Person Dungeon Crawler inspired by classic cRPG from the 80s and 90s.
It's a party-based RPG ("blobber") with turn-based combat.

KEY FEATURES
  • Create your characters choosing from 14 classes
  • Manage and develop you Ludus (Gladiator School) by improving facilities, acquiring gladiators, crafting new equipment.
  • Explore catacombs and dungeons.
  • Manage your party changing formation, equipment and skills: you can try different combinations for every different dungeon.
  • Turn-based combat: think carefully and use your Action Points wisely.
  • Randomly-generated loot with thousands and thousands of different combinations
ABOUT THE DEVELOPER
68k Studio is based in Rome, Italy. We have been developing games for more than 10 years drawing inspiration from classic old-school cRPGs.​

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2197650/Ludus_Mortis/
https://af.gog.com/en/game/ludus_mortis?as=1649904300

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fun game, have put some hours in already.

It's a bit front-loaded mechanics-wise and the menu-system is more complicated than it needs to be, but none of those really distract too much from the game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, boy does this one pick up in difficulty around the level 12 dungeons.

If you end up against certain enemy combos and have bad luck, you'll simply lose a character before you can even act properly.
Some enemies can circumvent your frontline, and if you fight three of those and they all decide to go for the same backline character... good night, sweet mage.

But even without that happening I am running out of resources before finishing the dungeon. The monsters are just too beefy and hit like trucks (and some hit like trucks x2, like Larvae).

Which means you gotta grind.
Either repeat the dungeon again and again, each time fleeing when you run out of resources - which comes with a 75% XP&cash penalty, but still better than nothing.
Or you gotta repeat earlier dungeons.
And that's only on Hard, not the even harder ones.

Can't say I'm a fan of that design.
If you gotta make the player grind, at least the procedural dungeon should be unlocked from the get-go.

Also: Reroll your characters until you got 12+ everywhere, definitely 16 in CONS and that char's main stats.
Forget about point buy, you can roll ~20 points higher than what that gives you.

oscar

Arcane
I enjoyed Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle a lot, this should be good.

Modron

Arcane
I enjoyed Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle a lot, this should be good.
The 7th Circle is probably my favorite of his three first person dungeon crawlers so far.
Also: Reroll your characters until you got 12+ everywhere, definitely 16 in CONS and that char's main stats.
Forget about point buy, you can roll ~20 points higher than what that gives you.
xHrMvwR.jpeg

I got this on a first roll just making another gladiator to check out what other classes looked like.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I got this on a first roll just making another gladiator to check out what other classes looked like.
(S)he's a keeper.
Just maybe not a ranged one :lol:

I also made the mistake believing only mages need "mana" (SP).
Nah, everyone has abilities and they all cost "mana", so the more mana you have, the more abilities you can use.
Basically, everyone's a mage, just the "real" mages have more powerful stuff that also costs more to cast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom