Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer Builds

Lurkar

Scholar
Before you choose classes, I recommend getting a mod to fix up the songs/classes, like the Kaedrin/Reeron compilation. Helps makes things a bit closer to P&P, and adds a few classes that, at least from what I've seen, not overpowered (At least not compared to other stuff already in game).

zodden

Scholar
I finished MOTB with 30 levels as wizard. (the char I took through the OC)

I enjoyed it, though very few fights were what I would consider to be hard. Since I always lead it was sometimes a pain because the lead char gets the aggro. Sometimes I wished for the ease of a tank instead of having to constantly back up.

The epic spells were fun but made things even easier. Vampire Feast is just a monster of a spell.

Honestly MOTB is fun regardless of which class you pick. It has a great story, better then the OC.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Man, warlock is still retarded. Have they fixed this class yet? I managed to take down the first boss by using cheesy regen ability and switching to demon form to tank while Bald-girl nukes. But really, warlock is just spamming all he can do?

edit: oh wait i can summon blue multiheaded dicks hitting thighs and ass.

Nightjed

Liturgist
RK47 said:
Man, warlock is still retarded. Have they fixed this class yet? I managed to take down the first boss by using cheesy regen ability and switching to demon form to tank while Bald-girl nukes. But really, warlock is just spamming all he can do?

edit: oh wait i can summon blue multiheaded dicks hitting thighs and ass.

the warlock needs a spell redesign badly, a lot of spells are crap, like the dead walk (so you can summon a level 3, 21 hp skeleton when your cleric summons a level 15 100+ hp elder elemental), its not justified to put cone and ball blast shapes so high leveled when chain shape remains the best though all the game, and dont even get me started about the "infinite buffs" that you have to recast again and again and again, why not just give you a "bard inspiration" style bonus or just add a feat per buff ?

as for a build for motb, im currently playing an evil aasimar Bard(7)/Red Dragon(10)/Blackguard(3) with dual weapons and plan to max out blackguard and then continue the bard path with maybe a fighter level at the end for the extra feat
he gets tons of skillpoints, can max out all social skills, lore and even use magic item (allowing you to use everything) and still rocks at melee, gets 22 str, 17 dex and 21 cha by lvl 21 where you can get epic divine might and if you can stand drows you can even get more skillpoints with the same build.
this build works great in motb, it has a slow start in nwn2 (losing a base attack number because you can't pick red dragon until bard lvl5 really hurts, but courage inspiration and heroism evens it out, and you get the bab back when you raise bard up to lvl 8)

afewhours

Scholar
RK47 said:
Man, warlock is still retarded. Have they fixed this class yet?

There's a mod called the 'Warlock Buddy' that makes the locky a bit more playable. The locky's still a silly class that encourages you to break the game, but the mod makes everything a lot less fiddly.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
hmmm any good multiclass combo or is warlock one of those 'gotta be pure' class to be effective.

I felt a little annoyed by the combat system. RTwP is really annoying at epic levels. The high HP count and getting steamrolled / pwned just because one wizard got the spells off is starting to bug me.

Warlock IMO is one of those great PnP class but really pales in comparison with the CRPG 'big bang & multiattack' hollywood nature. Especially in RTwP.

Oh, any tips in improving my shapeshift form attac? I keep getting my dmg resisted, I can't hurt them but they can't hurt me either.

Nightjed

Liturgist
RK47 said:
I felt a little annoyed by the combat system. RTwP is really annoying at epic levels. The high HP count and getting steamrolled / pwned just because one wizard got the spells off is starting to bug me.
the combat is a LOT better when you are alone, once you get npcs you start feeling like there isnt much to do, you cant see shit because of the spell effects and everytime you try to cast something you target gets killed before you can pull out the spell (making you waste your round)
the epic levels make the "spell effects" problems so much worse, character development is gone and even worse, epic feats force you to perfectly design your character to reach the HUGE ability reqs (if you want epic might with a pal you need to kill most of you secondary abilities making the pal not as fun to play with less social skills), forcing you to take "+1 ability" feats to reach something that is not even that good is not fun

RK47 said:
hmmm any good multiclass combo or is warlock one of those 'gotta be pure' Oh, any tips in improving my shapeshift form attac? I keep getting my dmg resisted, I can't hurt them but they can't hurt me either.

well, you can get devil's own luck on lvl1, its the fastest way to get the "charisma to saves" feat by multiclassing (blackguard needs 3 levels, pals need 2 and lawful good), the +4 dex spell is useful if you cant cast cat's grace all the time and dont wear dex equipment, the +6 bluff/intimidate/diplomacy spell can be very useful for all classes, and ive found "use magic item" the best skill in nwn2 so thats useful too (too many damn items are class,alignment specific it didnt happen in other d&d games), the higher level spells are not worth multiclassing for and eldrich blast blows until lvl 10 when you get chain blast (both because low damage and unable to hurt more than 1 enemy per round) and still kinds of sucks until level 15 when you can (finally) hit 4 guys at a time, from there on eb starts getting pretty good (as long as you dont sleep, if you sleep all the time, sorcs and wiz kick the warlock's ass all the time)

in nwn1 a good way to improve your shapeshifts was getting monk levels (wis defense plus most monster weapons count as unarmed attacks and the monk gets "magic bonuses" to those too helping you bypass the resistances), i havent tested it in nwn2 but some faqs recomended it so, try it

Norfleet

Andhaira said:
Not true dumbass. Wizards were superior to sorcerors in BG2 and even in IWD2.
Matter of opinion. Although the pick 2 free spells at level-up does help even the scales a bit. Did BG2 have that one? I seem to recall someone having the DISTINCT PAIN OF NOT GETTING FIREBALLS. That would never happen to a sorceror!

Andhaira said:
Sorcerors have a huge wekness in that they recieve their spells one level late.
Matter of opinion again. Sure, I won't deny getting the spells one level late is a bad thing, but I assert that it is not THAT bad. After all, plenty of other classes never get them at ALL. Better late than never. And once you get them, you'll have more of them to fling around. Besides, I usually am inclined to sacrifice that bonus spell progresion level to take some PrC that will provide me with some useful feature for hurting people in a new and unique way, like EK or something. Not everything dies to magic.

Andhaira said:
Also, for a sorceror to spend a precious pick on something like identify really hurts, even though you need identify.
...so, don't? That's the sort of thing you take high lore on someone for, or just use a wizard. Or, you know, you could just pay the $100 at the nearest merchant. It was probably vendortrash anyway. It's not like party mages don't benefit from more of them. Two fireballs is better than one, even if one of them is only fireball lobber second class.

Andhaira said:
Also, stuff like sleep and grease and charm
Pssh. Sleep. Sleep is for the weak. It only affects wimpy monsters that you could have just killed anyway, being entirely useless against anything that's actually worth disabling, and so the only time it is of any use at all is at a level when saving throws are still a total hit-or-miss deal. Forget that nonsense. I cast MAGIC MISSILE! Grease, on the other hand, is not at all a bad thing to take, since the effect of turning a suitable area of the battlefield into navhaz never gets old. Certainly not a first-pick spell, but seriously, what else did you have in mind? Magic Missile, Burning Hands...Grease or Mage Armor, perhaps? I mean, it's #3 or 4 on the my CRPG spell picklist anyway. Hardly the waste of a spell.

afewhours said:
The spontaneous classes don't have it all easy. As you level up, certain spells become obsolete, and you have to be very careful what spells you pick.
As you level up, you're offered the opportunity to switch out obsolete crap for shinier versions of it, anyway.

afewhours said:
You have to be careful with Fav Soul/Spirit Shammy as well. They're multi-ability dependant. A Fav Soul requires a minimum CHA of 10 + spell's level to cast, but the power of their spells is dependant on WIS.
Oi. Izzat so? Certainly a point against them there.

afewhours said:
Sorcerers are t3h ultimate nukers, and it's best to play them that way. They're especially brutal once you start taking the metamagic feats.
Is there any OTHER use for a mage in a CRPG? Mages have *ALWAYS* been nukers and crowd controllers. I consider the crowd to be adequately controlled when it is on fire.

afewhours said:
A Wizard will potentially have far more defensive options and better skills, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
Pssh. Defensive options? Against WHAT? Defensive options only matter when opponents exist for some other purpose other than to die short and messy deaths. This is practically never the case in CRPGs. Besides, what would you DO with those defensive options? By the time you finish casting them, the battle is over, and 3.5E nerfed the durations on most anything else so that casting them for anything other than task-specific purposes is a waste of time. And a spell slot. Did I mention that sorcerors never render a spellslot useless with deadweight? I mean, yeah, I like my wizards and clerics, but way too often a spellslot ends up being functionally useless because it's filled with the wrong thing, something you MIGHT have needed, but ended up not needing it. If anything, I tend to give my favored utility spell to the sorceror, because if I need it, it'll be there, and if I don't need it, I could alwys use MOAR FIREBALLS. The memorization classes primarily excel at noncombat roles...something there is precious little of in a CRPG. How many times do you get to use magic in a noncombat manner, anyway? Far as I can tell, practically never! Otherwise the quest would be unsolveable for non-mages. Thus, magic is for BLOWING STUFF UP, pure and simple.

Naturally, all these points are reversed in PnP games, where wizards clearly rule the roost. But CRPGs? Given multiple mages, I take one wizard just to collect all the spells, just in case, and the other casters as sorcs.

As for clerics, clerics have a rather handy feature that mitigates much of the drawbacks, because you can always perform your traditional role of "MEDIC!", due to the spontaneous-convert 3E feature. So I'm rather fond of them nonetheless, as they are in many ways just as flexible as sorcerors despite their semi-hardlocked spell memorization: the fact that they can convert to healing spontaneously means that you can still fill 'em with nukes, plus the fact that clerics are capable fighters means you are not reliant on magic as your sole method of making a useful contribution to the fight. Mace in the face works fine.

afewhours

Scholar
Norfleet said:
Pssh. Defensive options? Against WHAT? Defensive options only matter when opponents exist for some other purpose other than to die short and messy deaths.

I'm a bit of a buff whore. Nuking is funny, but it gets old quite quickly. I like to level from Wizard to Eldritch Knight and go wild on the support magic. May not be the most gamist tactic, and it won't kill things as efficiently as nuking, but I like screwing around with the endless spells at my disposal. It's fun.

I pretty much agree with you on the mages=nuke thing in D&D CRPGs. I'd only alter it a little and say mages=haste as well. Nuke/haste spam will get you through anything.

But, meh. It's still not enough to make me roll spontaneous caster classes. Bards get a free pass, but that's about it. I just find them boring. I'm currently playing a Human Rogue with INT 18 straight off the bat. Utterly useless in combat, but I'm a slut for skill points.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Buffing is the most annoying thing to do in d&d cRPG to keep your wizard from dying. I hate the routine of casting stoneskin and premonition and all the shits before each big fight, I just wish there was a big fucking button to click that would execute a script written by my hand to do the buffing automatically according to my order.

Even though I used (am somewhat) to always play a caster class as the PC in cRPGs nowadays i'm leaning more toward the rogue and fighting side. I went through MOTB as a fighter and I never really micro managed my party, i've let all the caster "die" soon in each big fights, sometimes lending a helping hand to a healer if I needed it. Wizards are only good to enchant your weapons and armors and die pitifully.

Nightjed

Liturgist
mjorkerina said:
Buffing is the most annoying thing to do in d&d cRPG to keep your wizard from dying. I hate the routine of casting stoneskin and premonition and all the shits before each big fight, I just wish there was a big fucking button to click that would execute a script written by my hand to do the buffing automatically according to my order.

go get the ai mod here then in the drop down menu hit "buff, medium party" while selecting your fighter and theyll buff themselves, the only problem is that they dont always use items and that the character you are selecting doesnt do anything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom