Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 - Exclusive for the PC...

WalterKinde

Scholar
since there are pc playthroughs already anyone know the system requirements yet?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Mass Effect - system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
Operating System:
Windows XP or Vista
Processor:
2.4+GHZ Intel or 2.0+GHZ AMD
Memory:
1 Gigabyte Ram (XP)
2 Gigabyte Ram (Vista)
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6 series(6800GT or better)
ATI 1300XT or better (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
Hard Drive Space:
12 Gigabytes
Sound Card:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers

Recommended System Requirements:
Operating System:
Windows XP or Vista
Processor:
2.6+GHZ Intel or 2.4+GHZ AMD
Memory:
2 Gigabyte Ram
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or higher.
ATI X1800 XL series or higher
Hard Drive Space:
12 Gigabytes
Sound Card:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers – 5.1 sound card recommended

What a surprise, I have a 6600GT but I think it will go anyway.

Texas Red

Whiner
Minimum requirements are a complete marketing lie. You'd expect a game to be playable with absolutely everything turned off but NO! The lag simply renders them unplayable even though you're supposed to be able to run it.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Minimum requirements are a complete marketing lie.

Exactly. Most games are playable with less than minimum requirements.

You'd expect a game to be playable with absolutely everything turned off but NO! The lag simply renders them unplayable even though you're supposed to be able to run it.

Time to upgrade that Pentium 2 64mb ram you stole from work.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Wow that is some beefy system requirement for recommended playthrough i assume the 2+ ghz requirement probably means a dual core cpu for good playthrough.
And 12 gigs?
Wow the game will have to come on two dvds or something, the required space for Oblivion was around 4gb-8gb when you installed all the needed fan made mods and payware DLC.
At least its not system requirements similiar to Crysis and Assassin's Creed.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I guess from the minimum graphic card requirement that the game supports only pixel shader 3.0.

Starwars

Arcane
I don't know, I don't think it's particularly bad when compared to some other games. My old-ish machine actually seems to pass the recommended requirements. But I mean wtf, the processor info seems rather... limited?
12 gigabytes is hefty though.

Still, I was expecting way worse to be honest.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Gragt said:
I guess from the minimum graphic card requirement that the game supports only pixel shader 3.0.
I wonder why they demand a 6800. My 6600 GT also has a 3.0 pixel shader and runs e.g. The Witcher just fine... and from what I've seen on ME screens, the game doesn't look stunning to say the least.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
My upgraded computer is capable of running this game. I wish I would have waited for the PC version. Oh well.

A bit off topic, but has anyone tried that new ME download content? I hear it isn't that good.

Starwars

Arcane
Read elsewhere that PC users will get the downloadable content thing that was recently release for free. I don't care that much, but I'm sure there will be much hilarity on the Mass Effect forums from the Xbox users.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Fuck them, it's not our fault that those cunts are dumb enough to pay for shit like horse armor.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Lol don't worry we will be joining them soon.
First it was Bioware with the pay addons for NWN which i don't begrudge them the game is old and i even bought the first addons when they did the cd release version, then valve with the halflife episodes, the Sam and Max guys, Hellgate wih the faux mmo payware plan, microsoft with its games for windows live payware plan and finally bethesda with their payware plugins for Oblivion.
They just need one monolithic game publisher to decide that mini addons/mini transactions are the way to go on the pc and everybody will be adopting it.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Elwro said:
I wonder why they demand a 6800. My 6600 GT also has a 3.0 pixel shader and runs e.g. The Witcher just fine... and from what I've seen on ME screens, the game doesn't look stunning to say the least.

ME is obviously not as optimized as it should be. UT3, while being more detailed (to the point of overload), still manages to run fine on Athlon XP CPUs and GeForce 6600 gfx cards. Dunno, we'll see exactly how well optimized it is; from what I've seen, even the 360 version had its share of performance problems so yeah...

cardtrick

Arbiter
WalterKinde said:
i assume the 2+ ghz requirement probably means a dual core cpu for good playthrough

I hope so, but I doubt it. There's nothing in those system requirements to imply that the game is multithreaded. When the hell are RPG developers going to jump on the multithreading bandwagon?! It's not like this is some new technology. It's ridiculous that an e6750 runs The Witcher and NWN2 and apparently Mass Effect worse than a 4 or 5 year old 3 GHz processor.

fastpunk

Arbiter
cardtrick said:
WalterKinde said:
i assume the 2+ ghz requirement probably means a dual core cpu for good playthrough

I hope so, but I doubt it. There's nothing in those system requirements to imply that the game is multithreaded. When the hell are RPG developers going to jump on the multithreading bandwagon?! It's not like this is some new technology. It's ridiculous that an e6750 runs The Witcher and NWN2 and apparently Mass Effect worse than a 4 or 5 year old 3 GHz processor.

Of course it's multi-threaded. It uses the Unreal fucking 3 Engine, which supports even quad-cores. For Christ's sake man! And the 2+GHz refers to a single core. Even Bioshock runs on single cores, why wouldn't ME? It might not be super optimized but not that bad.

cardtrick

Arbiter
fastpunk said:
cardtrick said:
WalterKinde said:

Of course it's multi-threaded. It uses the Unreal fucking 3 Engine, which supports even quad-cores. For Christ's sake man! And the 2+GHz refers to a single core. Even Bioshock runs on single cores, why wouldn't ME? It might not be super optimized but not that bad.

Okay, fine, of course it's multi-threaded. You're right, I was using fuzzy terminology. I guess I should have said "extensively multithreaded" or "well multithreaded" or something. The fact remains that NWN2, for example, maxes out one of my cores to 50% and uses less than 1% of the other, despite technically being "mutlithreaded." I would actually get better performance with an older, faster single-cored processor. Same goes for The Witcher.

The fact that they're not specifically recommending a dual core processor makes me suspect that Mass Effect won't take much advantage of one, which seems to be par for the course for X360 ports to PC.

fastpunk

Arbiter
cardtrick said:
Okay, fine, of course it's multi-threaded. You're right, I was using fuzzy terminology. I guess I should have said "extensively multithreaded" or "well multithreaded" or something. The fact remains that NWN2, for example, maxes out one of my cores to 50% and uses less than 1% of the other, despite technically being "mutlithreaded." I would actually get better performance with an older, faster single-cored processor. Same goes for The Witcher.

The fact that they're not specifically recommending a dual core processor makes me suspect that Mass Effect won't take much advantage of one, which seems to be par for the course for X360 ports to PC.

True, but I wasn't talking about NWN2 or TW, I was talking about ME. And there's no way this game isn't properly multithreaded, UE3 was basically designed for multithreading. Those minimum and recommended specs definitely refer to single core CPUs but keep in mind that a recommended spec doesn't mean you'll be able to play all maxed out. Besides, newer games generally demand more from the GPU than from the CPU, which might explain the low recommendation on the CPU's spec.

Here's a thread on the Bioware forums about the matter. Just read the dev posts, the rest is worthless chit-chat.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=626379&forum=125

fastpunk

Arbiter

DoppelG

Scholar
Everyone knows "exlusive *insert console*" means exlusively that console. Exclusively PC is exclusively PC though. But even then, who the fuck cares that after some time a game gets ported to another system? (say after a year or whatever)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom