Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect

Arem

Scholar
According to some insider info (from two independent sources) our favourite action rpg is coming to PCs (apparently this spring). What a suprise...
Now the question is whether it will be another Vista only game :lol:

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Wow -- this spring? That would please me, although I wouldn't mind them taking some time to polish up some of those problems that I've been hearing about.

I doubt that it will be Vista only. I think that Microsoft my have given up trying to do that moronic crap when they realized that they basically sacrificed the PC version of Halo 2 in an attempt to force people to upgrade.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yes, Fall 2008.

WhiskeyWolf said:
So fast, do they have no shame... ?

They have plenty of shame. They're also owned by EA, who've put certain demands of revenue on them.

Texas Red

Whiner
Brother None said:
Yes, Fall 2008.

If it is Fall, then that means no DA this year(what a surprise), as they would compete with each other. Unless of course they are going to hype DA more to consoles and leave some left over bits for the PCs.

I was convinced that ME is worth playing once it was out, though the reported hours of a single playthrough disappointed me to an extent that I don't much care.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
skyway said:
wouldn't revenue from ME still go to Microsoft?

Good question but no, I don't think so. With Jade Empire, the Xbox publishers was Microsoft, but 2K did the PC version.

BigWeather

Augur
The Walkin' Dude said:
I was convinced that ME is worth playing once it was out, though the reported hours of a single playthrough disappointed me to an extent that I don't much care.

I'm at right about 40 hours in and have the path to the final confrontation open. I've still a large amount of side quests I'm going to do first so I'm probably 10 - 12 hours away from finishing. I've been pretty thorough in my exploration, though. But if you take the time to read all the planet information, codex information, talk through all of the branches with people you're looking at around a 50 hour game. Which, for me nowadays is actually a bit longer than I'd like but oh well, it's been an enjoyable game so far (yes it has flaws, but they aren't fatal to the experience for me).

yarpen

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
Brother None said:
Yes, Fall 2008.

If it is Fall, then that means no DA this year(what a surprise), as they would compete with each other. Unless of course they are going to hype DA more to consoles and leave some left over bits for the PCs.

Main storyline may not be very long (I'd say ~25-30h, without rushing), but the story is very, very good (I'm a Bioware fanboy, so take with grain of salt) and the ending kicks ass. With sidequests it would be more, but sidequests are rather boring, IMHO.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It's not that great...

I've been playing it and I'm not even close to being impressed. I should probably give it more of a chance before I bash it thoroughly, however.

afewhours

Scholar
Marcelo21 said:
How does it stack up against other bioware games?

It's comparable to Jade Empire. It's shiny, cinematic, and fun while it lasts, but that's about it. Characters and dialogue are phoned in, but not outright incompetent. I like a bit of trashiness in my writing, so it entertained me, even if it didn't really engage. The gameworld is quite nice, with a lot of love given to lore and politics.

Its *major* problem is length. You're looking at, what, 10h for the MQ? Probably less if you speed through it.

It's worth picking up if you can forgive its shallowness. It works as a gentle distraction if work and life are getting you down. Think of it as a Hollywood blockbuster as opposed to A Clockwork Orange.

One caveat. If you really can't hack JE's action-lite approach: avoid, because it returns with a *vengeance* in ME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom