Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Massive layoffs at Epic Games

biffthestiff

Educated
That "free game every week" shit was just dastardly, just burning money to bleed out Steam/GOG. I noticed I reduced by GOG/Steam purchases by like 90% since this started (2 games bought on GOG, none on Steam, in 1.5 years). Why bother when I have a huge backlog and 20% of the games on my wishlist end up free on Epic? Now I only buy games if I really want to support the dev and for no other reason.

With this news, I guess premium games will no longer make it to the weekly freebie?

Iucounu

Educated
That "free game every week" shit was just dastardly
"Dastardly" is such a harsh word... I haven't bought a new game in four years, I think --and why would I, when the free ones are usually better anyway? If I'd have to pay for games I might have given up on gaming completely by now. Sure you can get refunds, but that introduces the stress of having to make up your mind in time, instead of just enjoy the game.

Azdul

Magister
That "free game every week" shit was just dastardly, just burning money to bleed out Steam/GOG. I noticed I reduced by GOG/Steam purchases by like 90% since this started (2 games bought on GOG, none on Steam, in 1.5 years). Why bother when I have a huge backlog and 20% of the games on my wishlist end up free on Epic? Now I only buy games if I really want to support the dev and for no other reason.

With this news, I guess premium games will no longer make it to the weekly freebie?
Free games on Epic Game Store are here too stay.

Just Tim Sweeney and his Tencent sugardaddies think that you should stop chasing AAA crap - and get familiar with underappreciated indie productions. Here is the list of all free EGS games from the last month and half:
  • Godlike Burger
  • Soulstice
  • Model Builder
  • The Forest Quartet
  • Out Of Line
  • 911 Operator
  • Spelldrifter
In order to afford them - Tim had to fire one more intern. But it is all for the greater good.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Microsoft and Epic Games Sued Over Video Game Addiction

Microsoft Epic Games Video Game Addiction

Photo by Alex Haney on Unsplash

Have game companies like Microsoft and Epic Games knowingly caused video game addiction in kids? According to a new lawsuit filed in Arkansas, that’s the case.

The lawsuit, filed on October 30, states that that Microsoft, Epic Games, Activision Blizzard, EA, and others “use patented designs, algorithms and marketing containing addictive features and technology” leading to addiction.

These designs and “addictive features”, the claim says utilized data collection of minors, predatory monetization schemes, and feedback loops to keep players more engaged.

“We never imagined when our son started playing video games that he would become so addicted that his education would severely suffer, he would lose all interest in spending time with his friends, and his physical and mental health would be at risk,” said Casey Dunn, the mother who filed the lawsuit on behalf of her child.

“These video game companies have targeted and taken advantage of kids, prioritizing their profit over all else. As a mom, I knew I had to do something to ensure they don’t get away with destroying the wellbeing and futures of our children.”

The Dunn family is suing for monetary recovery, changing how games are designed and offered, and additional “mental health resources for families faced with trying to treat young children addicted to gaming”.

RELATED: UK ‘Gaming Disorder’ Clinic Reports Huge Influx of Patients

The family’s attorney Tina Bullock says that she believes video game addiction is serious, and should be treated as such.

“Gaming addiction is a serious, life-altering disorder that is stealing children’s lives and disrupting families across the country,” Bullock said. “Parents like me often mistakenly think it is a failure on their part when their child becomes addicted, but through this litigation we hope to shine a light on these companies’ reprehensible actions, deceit, and manipulation of our children for their own financial gain.”

As of publishing, none of the named defendants have responded to Insider Gaming’s requests for comment.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Epic Games Store Still Makes No Money - 80.lv

Nowadays, Epic Games appeared in court to address app store fees, during which Epic Games Store's General Manager Steve Allison candidly admitted that the service is currently operating without profitability.
Understandable since they keep giving weekly free games, excellent discounts and higher fee for developers.

Epic is the most pro-consumer and most pro-developer company in the market.

Chuck Norris

Augur

Nowadays, Epic Games appeared in court to address app store fees, during which Epic Games Store's General Manager Steve Allison candidly admitted that the service is currently operating without profitability.
Understandable since they keep giving weekly free games, excellent discounts and higher fee for developers.

Not sure if you're trolling, but they're only offering those favorable and also unsustainable numbers to bleed Steam dry. Epic Games is an evil company that has the most outrageous anti-competitive behavior I've ever seen (excluding hostile take-overs) and it should be put in its place.

Azdul

Magister

Not sure if you're trolling, but they're only offering those favorable and also unsustainable numbers to bleed Steam dry. Epic Games is an evil company that has the most outrageous anti-competitive behavior I've ever seen (excluding hostile take-overs) and it should be put in its place.
EGS exclusivity may seem like anti-consumer practice at the first glance.

However - knowing how buggy most of these games were at release - Tim Sweeney was really doing us a favour.

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
I hope they won't close down the entire store and game client, then I'd lose all my free games. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom