Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MMORPG doomed to succeed?

just like reality tv, the left behind books, ambitious power-craving people, and Paris Hilton's new cd. The world of MMORPGs is as ugly as the girl I just saw in the tight shirt with a third and fourth arm of fat growing under her pasty, shaking arms. If the fat lumps grew a little larger and she could flap them, she could fly away and leave this place. I'd never leave because what would I do without the codex.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Very poetic.

I would say MMOs already HAVE succeeded. I mean, there's a company out there with hundreds of thousand of people who are willing to pay 15 dollars a month for a year or more to run a virtual treadmill. Convincing people that they want your shit is pretty much the biggest obstacle to success and a lot of MMOs have overcome it.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
The future of gaming is here and it is mmos. Sp games are one dimensional in comparison to mmos, I don't think I'll ever buy another sp game.

Direwolf

Arcane
They better not. There not enough decent SP games already and if MMOs become even more popular, then SP games are completely screwed...
Of course the main reason is crappy sequels, bugs, casual gamers, consoles etc., but we can always blame MMOs.

Human Shield

Augur
Tiliqua said:
The future of gaming is here and it is mmos. Sp games are one dimensional in comparison to mmos, I don't think I'll ever buy another sp game.

MMOs are the most souless games on the planet, I hope the future of games are more then graphical chat rooms.

ixg

Erudite
MMOs are not the future of gaming...I don't think most people will pay a subscription for more than one game, so that already puts a limit on it.

And MMOs are boooooring.

DarkSign

Erudite
MMORPGs are the precursor to real virtual worlds where ai, graphics, physics and interaction are as real as can be.

MMORPGs may wax and wane, but they are the future. Everyone wants to escape their reality (if only for awhile) so they will only get more and more popular.

Theoretically if man achieves the afformentioned level of detail...whose to say that those that can afford it wouldnt live in such predesigned environments all the time?

ixg

Erudite
The problem still remains that because everyone wants to have access to every part of the game, it'll never really be like a true world. MMO worlds are a bit static, and you won't have choice/consequence scenarios that really make a difference to the total game, since it would mess up other peoples' games. But yeah, I think there will remain a market for MMOs, I just don't think it will become THE genre.

DarkSign

Erudite
ixg said:
The problem still remains that because everyone wants to have access to every part of the game, it'll never really be like a true world. MMO worlds are a bit static, and you won't have choice/consequence scenarios that really make a difference to the total game, since it would mess up other peoples' games. But yeah, I think there will remain a market for MMOs, I just don't think it will become THE genre.

There is nothing inherent to being online or playing with large groups of people that precludes players making influential choices. Just because current MMOs suck, doesnt mean they always will.

The illegal organisations planned are indeed very difficult to ascend in - partly this is because in order to hit difficult targets, the assassin must not be suspected - assassination is a 'long game' where assassin characters have to be multi-skilled simply to be able to access the areas where the most likely marks will hang out and get away afterwards. Knocking off a trader down a dark alley is one thing, taking out a guild leader for a town in their heavily defended Guildhouse is entirely different, and can involve a protracted period of infiltration, since assassins are required to leave evidence that it was them that did the job WITHOUT getting caught, and potentially an acrobatic abseil-down-the-walls-and-onto-a-fast-horse escape. Or if they're *really* good, just walking out calmly and unnoticed.

Rogue killing (just like Morrowind / Daggerfall) can incur the wrath of Assassins' guilds - Guild leaders in these types of organisations have a great deal of personal power and have had to work very hard to get it. These roles suit paranoid, ruthless, disciplined players. As you'd expect.

That said, I should point out that almost all the social structures we have allow and to some extent require 'delegation' of tasks for faster advancement - tasks come in faster than you can do them, and you get some reward for having subordinates do the task for you. Each structure is basically its own mini-faction, demanding that you look after the players under you, whilst performing the tasks set by the player(s) above.

That's not even a quote from my game..its another person's whom I know casually. MMOs are going to get better.

Data4

Arcane
So... uh... anyone wanna take a crack at predicting what will happen to Tabula Rasa? It IS a Lord British game, so will it break the mold, or just fall to the standard MMORPG template?

-D4

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
MMO market is overcrowded, it's so hard to keep track what's going on. LB's Tabula Rasa is just drowned under so many other titles.

Wiki:
Tabula Rasa has been described to play like a FPS, but with more of a Grand Theft Auto view.

lol, FPS with GTA view. Yeah right.

Human Shield

Augur
DarkSign said:
There is nothing inherent to being online or playing with large groups of people that precludes players making influential choices.

Except non-stop complaining by fans if anything changes without their permission.

Crichton

Prophet
lol, FPS with GTA view. Yeah right.

This sounds exactly like star wars battlefront, there are plenty of 3rd person shooters out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom