Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth 2: Soulblighter

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Has anyone played Chimera?

The Chimera campaign has decent enough maps but when you hear the first briefing, you know it's just going to be a fanfiction tier aping of the real thing. It's just a vomit of exposition that bears little to no resemblence to the originals.

Then you play through the scenario thinking, hmm, not too shabby after all. Then the next brefiing plays and once more completley deflates any tension or sense of mystery thats beeing built up. It's such a shame.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Recently finished both Myth 1 and Myth 2 and they are amazing.
Wha ti also liked is how i could issue orders while paused, and slow down or speed up the game.
I also used a little mod to expand the zoom level so i could zoom out a lot more and see more of the battlefield.
Onto Myth 3 next.

Humbaba

Arcane
Myth 2 is the only RTS I can say I am really into. Turns out I don't like base building and prefer to just command a couple of my dudes.

Lagi

Savant
Myth 2 is the only RTS I can say I am really into. Turns out I don't like base building and prefer to just command a couple of my dudes.

I enjoy Swine .
01_4K_1.jpg

I really like the big map that are not artificially shape for the mission, they feel like some cities. And the logistic concept (you need fuel, ammo, reparis, you can tow damaged vehicles). And all that is in very approachable form visible on game (not like some excel spread sheet stuff from hex war games).

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey guys, how did you beat the last mission? I played the game 20+ years ago and I still remember the last level where you have to throw Balor's head into the Great Devoid. I just now looked at a strategy guide that tells you how it's supposed to be done. I never figured out the "right" way to do it. Soulblighter kept killing all my dudes before the dwarf could throw the head into the pit. I tried going toe-to-toe with Soulblighter and lost. I tried putting everyone on one side of the pit and using them as a distraction to get my dwarf close enough to throw the head. But Soulblighter was too quick. He killed my party and then ran around the pit and killed the dwarf. I tried setting all my satchel charges on the ground and luring Soulblighter on top of them, but it didn't do enough damage. So then I tried putting the head on the ground on top of a big formation of satchel charges. That looked promising, but the charges couldn't launch the head quite far enough, and if I set it up any closer, Soulblighter would kill the dwarves while they were dropping their explosives.

Eventually I had to send some berserkers in from one direction to get Soulblighter's attention while the dwarf runs in from the other direction. When Soulblighter killed the berserkers and came for the dwarf, I made the dwarf throw the head. Eventually I was able to time it just right, and when Soulblighter killed the dwarf, the dwarf exploded, and launched head into the pit.

0wca

Learned
Hey guys, how did you beat the last mission? I played the game 20+ years ago and I still remember the last level where you have to throw Balor's head into the Great Devoid. I just now looked at a strategy guide that tells you how it's supposed to be done. I never figured out the "right" way to do it. Soulblighter kept killing all my dudes before the dwarf could throw the head into the pit. I tried going toe-to-toe with Soulblighter and lost. I tried putting everyone on one side of the pit and using them as a distraction to get my dwarf close enough to throw the head. But Soulblighter was too quick. He killed my party and then ran around the pit and killed the dwarf. I tried setting all my satchel charges on the ground and luring Soulblighter on top of them, but it didn't do enough damage. So then I tried putting the head on the ground on top of a big formation of satchel charges. That looked promising, but the charges couldn't launch the head quite far enough, and if I set it up any closer, Soulblighter would kill the dwarves while they were dropping their explosives.

Eventually I had to send some berserkers in from one direction to get Soulblighter's attention while the dwarf runs in from the other direction. When Soulblighter killed the berserkers and came for the dwarf, I made the dwarf throw the head. Eventually I was able to time it just right, and when Soulblighter killed the dwarf, the dwarf exploded, and launched head into the pit.

A horse of course

Soulblighter is undead and vulnerable to the Journeyman's heal, iirc. Or at least frozen by it for a few seconds, allowing you to hold him up for a bit by repeatedly using the mandrake roots.

Quatlo

Arcane

Soulblighter is undead and vulnerable to the Journeyman's heal, iirc. Or at least frozen by it for a few seconds, allowing you to hold him up for a bit by repeatedly using the mandrake roots.
Holy shit I've never thought about that. Great tip!

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
You can actually kill Soulblighter by healing him with a mandrake root. The only difficulty is to apply the healing without getting interrupted -- to do so you'll need to sacrifice a couple zerks while your journeyman gets the job done. After that you'll have free reign to approach the crater and toss the head in.

A horse of course

Soulblighter actually has more than one attack iirc, one of which has a ridiculously showy wind-up animation that lets the journeyman get him before the interruption. In any case, I don't think his attack is an instant/95% chance kill like the trow kick on Legendary, so you only need to have the zerk standing next to your journeyman tank one blow.

rado907

Savant
Myth 2 is one of the best games ever and has aged well. I replayed it 7 years ago and there were community patches than made it playable on modern machines. The story was good, the gameplay was good, the balance was good, the looks were good - the game is a great representative of what we had in the late '90's golden age of gaming. Big thanks for the Steam clones posted here, all I remember was a cancelled one from a few years ago.

A horse of course

I was going through the Tain looking for any mods containing Skrael, and found an amusing review of one of the maps:

Untested mapspam. Loads of sloppy placements and things causing imbalance in play ON TOP of the unit imbalance. When making this map, the person operating Fear™ & Loathing™ used no thought, no plan, no testing whatsoever. So there is no reason to bother downloading, in my opinion. Save your hard drive space for a Cremisi or Fury map. Someone who takes the work of others and signs his name to it for no reason other than to caress his own fragile ego is not really a mapmaker and is definitely not a "Mapmaking Team". None of these maps were planned or tested or have any concept behind them. These hundreds of slightly altered meshes with "Zak" added to the pregame and credited as the author are not fun, some not even playable. Most are absurdly imbalanced with glaring ineptitudes, but the author neither cares nor ever even opened his franken-plugin to test before uploading it and demanding everyone download all 26 gigabytes of borked plugins. What mistakes could such an expert cartographer possibly have made? What needed elements could he have omitted? Well all of the plugins contain lovely bits of baby-sick such as: 1-hit-kill special units CTF flags on the other side of the map from the team start FFAs where you can actually shoot your neighbors from the starting positions, team starts at wildly varying distances from the flag/targets/goals/balls, units selected from different plugins which have completely different health/stamina/etc. - making some units seem invincible and others pathetically weak - and you are clueless until after trade.... enough issues to warrant we all demand this guy actually try to test his own maps and make sure they work?

Because right now they are all absolutely bereft of any plan or even reason to exist, there are no intentions to create anything new or even fun. Simply put, Zak has done absolutely NOTHING other than use all of his spare time adding multiple-start FFA variants to every 2-team-only map ever created and adding 2-team-only variants to every FFA map ever made. Regardless of whether or not they fit. He made a 12 start map where there are only 2 entrances to the hill.

The author's response to any and all of the above criticisms? "You're just jealous." "Stop being a fggt."

I'm boycotting any and all Zak maps until he actually thinks up a reason to edit his next one other than to make every map have every option and add his name. There had better be a twist or even just one thing unique added to the next upload from this clown because right now his maps are pretty much equal to his playing style, which is suiciding, host crashing, dropping, joining games and seeing how long he can delay a game in pregame, sitting there, unchecked before getting booted. His maps are just one big troll. The epic troll is that he got everyone to download dozens of gigabytes worth of maps that are nothing more than untested, barely playable waste of hard drive space. This review applies literally and fairly, without prejudice to every plugin and map Zak has altered and added his name to. You can help stop this nonsense by joining me in boycotting these mapspam thievery of hard work from the original mapmakers who actually had a vision and a plan, this guy is doing nothing other than shouting "HEY GUYS! LOOK AT ME! GUYS? LOOK WHAT I MADE!" Some maps are DESIGNED to have 2 starts and they don't really work with more, while some are DESIGNED to have many starts and don't work well as a 2-team map. Zak doesn't care, he's just collecting pokemon. Unbalanced, unplayable, ill-conceived pokemon.

Zionist Agent
Jon God made an updated version of The Fallen levels, apparently fixing a lot of the issues (messed up scripts/map placement, myth 2 text etc.) and bringing it even closer to the original game. Haven't tried it myself yet: http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/project-magmas-the-fallen-lords
Good post for spekkio ’s thread on unofficial patches

For the record, Jon God told me he actually hotfixed a couple of issues after I made that poast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom