Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights 2 install problem

aries202

Erudite
Do you have any programs such as Roxio, Nero, Daemon Tools or maybe even virtual drives on your computer ? I couldnøt install NWN2 at first since I had Nero on my computer. When I un-installed Nero, NWN2, installed just fine.

inwoker said:
why formatting is bad?
Because zero filling is the only way to go.

edit:
aries202 said:
Do you have any programs such as Roxio, Nero, Daemon Tools or maybe even virtual drives on your computer ? I couldnøt install NWN2 at first since I had Nero on my computer. When I un-installed Nero, NWN2, installed just fine.
Weird, I have Nero and Daemon Tools and I could install both NWN2 and MotB without problems.

Saxon1974

Prophet
aries202 said:

I don't think so, but I will check when i get home.

Im tempted to take my PC in get proffesional help (As professional as is available that is), but it's sort of become my personal quest now. :evil:

Zhirzzh

Scholar
The Vanished One said:
aries202 said:
Weird, I have Nero and Daemon Tools and I could install both NWN2 and MotB without problems.

Ditto. Alcohol and DVD Decrypter are fine as well.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Quick question on swapping out memory.

If I don't know which memory was original and which sticks were added, does it matter which ones I switch out first?

I dont think I will be able to tell which stick it is and I have 4 500 DDR memory sticks and so I think If I do have a mem issue Im just going to have to swap them out one at a time and retry the install.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Have you had any other "wierd" problems with your computer, besides just not getting NWN2 to update? While memory could be a problem, I'm just wondering.

Like do other games run fine etc..? It just almost seem like a bad install... dunno.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Well I have had the same error installing a different game (On a different file of course), and I was having occasional random reboots but I got a fix from microsoft that seems to have fixed that.

I do have occasional crashes playing NWN1, but I wonder if thats because of the age of the game. Most games work just fine.

But for the most part my PC works just fine.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
hmmm ok. Well as others said, maybe run that mem test and see if anything comes of it overnight.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Well great. I uninstalled Nero just to see if that would make a difference even though I didn't think it would. Well apparently the Nero Express I had came with my pc so now I can't reinstall it since it's not free software.

Is there any other recommended software that can create a boot disc image from a DVD drive?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Test your goddamn RAM already, that seems to be the most likely thing given the problems you've described.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If I don't know which memory was original and which sticks were added, does it matter which ones I switch out first?

if it may be a simple conflict between two memory sticks (like it was in my case) - then no

also install -everest-. it will show you your memory sticks, incl. their names and specs. and slots. so if you remember the manufacturer/specs of your new ram stick - it will help you to find the slot where it is.

professional help? man - don't pay a penny to anyone. problem may be simpler than you think.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Just switch one, then the other. That and the installs won't take more than 30 min.

Edit: No, it doesn't matter which you do first.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Saxon1974 said:
Well great. I uninstalled Nero just to see if that would make a difference even though I didn't think it would. Well apparently the Nero Express I had came with my pc so now I can't reinstall it since it's not free software.

Is there any other recommended software that can create a boot disc image from a DVD drive?
Did you let some shop build your system or was it a complete system (Dell, etc)?
If a shop built it for you Nero was probably part of the DVD drive package and the shop "should" have provided a CD with Nero. Otherwise there are probably 30 day trial versions of Nero for download. If you don't find anything you might try the homepage of some serious computer (read: not gaming) magazine. They usually have lots of downloads with freeware and shareware. You can probably find a suitable substitute for Nero there. Or if you speak German try Chip.de or computerbase.de ;)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nero is a PoS.
it can't continue multi-sessions started by other software and also often fucks up cd/dvds

Saxon1974

Prophet
It was the memory. I took out the last 2 memory modules to take my PC back to 1 gig of ram and then installed NWN2 without any issues.

Im suspicious the guy at the computer shop might have put memory in my PC that it was not fully compatible with, or one of the sticks went bad.

Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully this will help someone else out.

:D

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
RAM isn't 100% guaranteed to be good to begin with. I've had brand-new RAM from newegg test faulty just after installing it.

It's not a compatibility issue, that's not how RAM works. It's also unlikely both sticks are faulty, you can test them individually if you care to.

I also recommend getting some new memory, because 1 gig isn't a whole lot to go on. Especially for NWN2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Saxon, did you try putting at least 1 of the 2 sticks back? they can't be both incompatible/faulty.
also try not to put it into the 2nd slot if you have the other memory stick in the 1st slot (if the memstick is 1gb as well). newer mobos try to run in dual-channel mode when they find identical-by-amount-of-memory sticks in slots #1 and #2 (depending the mobo construction) - and on some of those mobos the sticks in those slots by different manufacturers that use different production process may lead to conflicts.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I have 4 sticks that are 500 each.

If its just one stick that is bad, is it ok to just leave 3 in there to bring it up to 1500? Wasn't sure if it had to go from 1gig to 2gig or if you could go from 1 to 1.5 gig.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok, Im good to go at 1.5 now.

Thanks to all for the help, especially skyway.

I have to say the support on this board is much better than taking in my pc and paying for it! I should be paying you guys!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom