Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas DLC thread

Beastro

Arcane
Sawyer loved Zion Canyon and wanted to include it in the game and it shows. He clearly loved making the dlc, the o ky problem is he didn't know what to put into it that would make it enjoyable.

The thing that worked with gun pendantry is that guns are fun, but it seems that part of him just falls flat if applied to things like settings with New Vegas being an odd mix of good groundedness and too much of nothing in places.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dead Money: It is the best thematically speaking, I liked alot how the theme of "Sometimes you just need to let go." was very well executed, everything is stuck on the past, the characters, the villain, the cassino, the lore and even the gameplay as you are also stuck on a nightmare you wish to escape and you might also sucumb to the same obcessive greed of the cassino and end up stuck there forever. This theme fits really well on a post apocalypse game, as it is a recurrent theme on this genre of the mistake of the past being relived forever.

At the end of it, I felt I played a really nice post apocalyptic short story.

Honest Hearts: The most aesthetically pleasing of the DLC, its theme is of the uncertain future, the new generation grows lost, without a purpose as the old generation died taking everything with it. The transmission of civilization is so broken, that the new generation mistifies the past, creating new mythologies and there is a suggestion, that maybe on desperate times, knowing the truth might not be the best idea. At same time you have Joshua Graham, the most interesting character of New Vegas on a conceptual level.

I liked the ideas around it, the survivalist tale and an attempt of trying to show how new culture can develop, however, I just didnt like the execution, contrary to Dead Money, what you do in Honest Hearts, the gameplay, feels like generic filler. Joshua Graham didnt have the time he needed and the main quest feels rushed and ends on a very anticlimatic way that deflated the whole thing.

It is a mid DLC, there is nothing truly bad there but when the best thing about your DLC is lore notes about a character, you kinda screw things up. I didnt regret playing but it was very short of achieving what it could had been.

Old World Blues: AKA, the crazy DLC, to me, it seems Avellone just decide he wanted to take that retarded Bethesda idea of having some crazy evil doctor doing experiments for LoLs and decided he would try to make it work. He sort of did as the voice acting and dialogue is truly fun and this DLC has the best gameplay of the four.

I really liked it, the main issue however, is that if you are seeking a truly post apocalyptic story, you wont find it, this is mostly a LoLs DLC, it isnt something truly awful and of bad taste like Mothership Zeta from Fallout 3 because some serious work came here, each doctor has a tragic and interesting backstory to try to make it work but if you despise the idea of you talking wih your own brain at some point, you wont like it.

Lonesome Road: This DLC is a disappointment for me, Ulysses was built up as the character that would finish the DLCs plot but his ideas felt convoluted and the whole DLC felt rushed. I tried liking it but in the end, it felt like a linear shooting gallery without much of a purpose.

std::namespace

running simulators
you people should all kill yourselves

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Dead Money is very much aesthetic. Vibe. The red cloud plus bomb collar make for some restrained exploration and it feel very much 3D, nothing in F3 come close. The stories are is nice, but well, there's some lacking in more storytelling about Vera vs Dean, or more about crazy Elijah him being nowhere near crazy enough. Or not and me being wishful for the best DLC in term of story and exploration... Suitable for any time before level 16, considering the lvel of the loot.
+++ Note that there's AWOP mod expand this DLC, and later on incorporated into DMT mod.

Honest Heart is 3D exploration in the wild open and it feel like a safari. It's like Fallout 3 wild open once again, but much more colorful, trees, and water. joshua story is also pretty good, but that's about the only main theme of the story. The branch on Daniel, or Waking Cloud, is too undeveloped. Honestly, if they push Follow-Chalk into Waking Cloud's one of many suitors, it would create more gossip to talk about. As such, there's only talking about Joshua, and not much. Suitable into end game, since White Legs can have high level equipment, which make for persuasive main opponent, as they fight two and push all back.
+++ There is mod to provide an intermediate area between Zion and MOjave, but there's a dearth of extensive modding on Zion itself.

Old World Blues is a combo of 3D exploration, and Fallout 3 high level combat, with a huge variety of hostile. Stories take a big beating, because the crazy abominations take stage and keep telling their tales. Good enough if you like crazy tales, but nowhere crazy enough to be REALLY interesting. Overall this DLC feel like Point Lookout.
+++There's a dearth of extensive modding on Big MT itself. The tiny details, yeah, but not big project.

Lonesome Road is deserty. The rambling of a mad man mix in with the howling of sandy zephyr and crackle of radioactive broken equipments. For a pure FNV, the ramblings provide a possible origin for Courier Six, which is very nice in storytelling: we dont like rootless drifters. But with TTW active (or Fallout New California), it make clear Ulyssess is off his rocker, absolutely schizo. Combat and exploration is hard to say~ It's not disctinctive like 3 other dlcs to make a sentence to announce (or denounce) it.
+++There's a dearth of extensive modding on The Divide itself.
I really like the way you broke these down. I had never thought about them in those terms.

deuxhero

Arcane
Dead Money is good, but has no replay value
HH had promise but was rushed at the end.
OWB has a lot of good stuff, but is ultimately a dungeon crawl in a game with meh at best combat.
LR is done for character rewards (items, attribute bonus), not because it's good.

I will say that GRA actually did a good job of what it was designed to, console load order imposed problems aside. The new weapons are fun and mostly well integrated into the game's existing balance (which is surprisingly good).

Eazy-E

Literate
Sawyer loved Zion Canyon and wanted to include it in the game and it shows. He clearly loved making the dlc, the o ky problem is he didn't know what to put into it that would make it enjoyable.

The thing that worked with gun pendantry is that guns are fun, but it seems that part of him just falls flat if applied to things like settings with New Vegas being an odd mix of good groundedness and too much of nothing in places.
so there was no actual plan for dlc other than just egocentric developer whims of wanting to include such and such place

Eazy-E

Literate
Dead Money: It is the best thematically speaking, I liked alot how the theme of "Sometimes you just need to let go." was very well executed, everything is stuck on the past, the characters, the villain, the cassino, the lore and even the gameplay as you are also stuck on a nightmare you wish to escape and you might also sucumb to the same obcessive greed of the cassino and end up stuck there forever. This theme fits really well on a post apocalypse game, as it is a recurrent theme on this genre of the mistake of the past being relived forever.

At the end of it, I felt I played a really nice post apocalyptic short story.

Honest Hearts: The most aesthetically pleasing of the DLC, its theme is of the uncertain future, the new generation grows lost, without a purpose as the old generation died taking everything with it. The transmission of civilization is so broken, that the new generation mistifies the past, creating new mythologies and there is a suggestion, that maybe on desperate times, knowing the truth might not be the best idea. At same time you have Joshua Graham, the most interesting character of New Vegas on a conceptual level.

I liked the ideas around it, the survivalist tale and an attempt of trying to show how new culture can develop, however, I just didnt like the execution, contrary to Dead Money, what you do in Honest Hearts, the gameplay, feels like generic filler. Joshua Graham didnt have the time he needed and the main quest feels rushed and ends on a very anticlimatic way that deflated the whole thing.

It is a mid DLC, there is nothing truly bad there but when the best thing about your DLC is lore notes about a character, you kinda screw things up. I didnt regret playing but it was very short of achieving what it could had been.

Old World Blues: AKA, the crazy DLC, to me, it seems Avellone just decide he wanted to take that retarded Bethesda idea of having some crazy evil doctor doing experiments for LoLs and decided he would try to make it work. He sort of did as the voice acting and dialogue is truly fun and this DLC has the best gameplay of the four.

I really liked it, the main issue however, is that if you are seeking a truly post apocalyptic story, you wont find it, this is mostly a LoLs DLC, it isnt something truly awful and of bad taste like Mothership Zeta from Fallout 3 because some serious work came here, each doctor has a tragic and interesting backstory to try to make it work but if you despise the idea of you talking wih your own brain at some point, you wont like it.

Lonesome Road: This DLC is a disappointment for me, Ulysses was built up as the character that would finish the DLCs plot but his ideas felt convoluted and the whole DLC felt rushed. I tried liking it but in the end, it felt like a linear shooting gallery without much of a purpose.
in what way Ulypussys "build up" nigga there is like one dialog about another courier refusing to deliver a package??? 90% of players will never even see this shit. At any rate superfluous fluff to the story of the Mojave, and not worthy of basing dlc around, symptomatic of the writers imposing their personal "cool ideas" to the detriment of the entire setting and game

CHEMS

Scholar
OWB: Too much "wacky science xDDD" for my tastes, it stuck out like a sore thumb, feels like some kind of fever dream, there's interesting mechanics and it's very creative, but gets old fast.

Lonesome Road: I like it, though it's too linear, it's a fun challenge. Ulysses motivations are just plain retarded though. "Oh you brought a detonation device to the divide and everything blew the fuck up, i'll blame you even though you didn't knew nothing about that and i'm gonna nuke everyone for it". Seriously retardaded writing in my opinion, but his speeches are entertaining nonetheless.

Honest Hearts: Boring, everything about that was fucking boring. Zion was boring, Joshua is fucking boring, Daniel is a wussy and also boring, the White Legs are boring, everything in this DLC feels so damn slow, holy shit.

Dead Money: Now this one i liked a lot. In my opinion is a solid 10/10. The setting is nice, the characters are interesting, there's a lot of attention to detail, plays like a good movie. Dean Domino's a very interesting character with some nice gimmicks, passing his barter check when you first talk to him will force you against way later in the DLC, just a small detail about his huge ego that's such an important part of his character. Good to actually have some closure with Ellijah too. Too bad no one gives a fuck about the message the DLC tries to convey. "Letting go" my ass, i doubt it anyone actually left all those gold bars in the vault.

Renfri

Cipher
Finished playthrough of Fallout New Vegas today (main game 4th time and DLCs 2nd time), and here are DLCs from best to worst:
1. Dead Money
2. Lonesome Road
3. Old World Blues
4. Honest Hearts

Old World Blues has too many fetch quests, running back and forth same places. DLC has cool Toaster, but it doesnt fix issues with gameplay. There is plenty of humor involved, but most of it isnt great. Honest Hearts has that one cool character, otherwise there is nothing else going on. Dead Money is basically best DLC, but still 8/10 only some gameplay things are keeping it down. Otherwise Dead Money is really great: story and characters, also satisfying ending. Lonesome Road is decent overall. It's not awful, but not brilliant either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom