Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 New Interview re: protagonist

Llyranor

Liturgist
http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/n ... onist1.php

I think you guys will like this quote:
"I think our protagonist is closest to the Vault Dweller, because there’s nothing overtly special about you. What makes you special are your mission, your choices, and decisions."

Drakron

Arcane
Yes because making references to games that did not suck makes their product just like those games.

obediah

Erudite
PR ninja said:
"I think our protagonist is closest to the Vault Dweller, because there’s nothing overtly special about you. What makes you special are your mission, your choices, and decisions."

Either that, or 40 lvls of 3.5E munchkining and hoardes of magic l3wtz.

gromit

Arcane
Hey! Hey! Someone specifically stated that they won't be using the "chosen one" cliche, which we constantly roll our eyes at. Let's roll our eyes at them!

:roll:

Given some of those questions, I'm not surprised that we ended up with at least one quote with that minty hype-by-reference aftertaste. I mean, "Which of these three characters is the protagonist most like?" Yeah, seriously. At least the answer was "VD, because there are no particular defining characteristics. Are you paying attention, or what?" Too bad live interviews are so rare these days, it'd remedy the situation of an entire half of the interview being based on a premise that is shown untrue in the first question. :D

And "will the protagonist have any ties to famous Forgotten Realms characters we may know of?" Were they expecting a "We can't reveal that information at this time (wink wink)," or what?

Drakron

Arcane
wallace said:
Hey! Hey! Someone specifically stated that they won't be using the "chosen one" cliche, which we constantly roll our eyes at. Let's roll our eyes at them!
:roll:

But that could be said without the name dropping.

That is what I am against, they linked NwN2 to Fallout for no other reason that name dropping.

Jora

Arcane
Drakron said:

That is what I am against, they linked NwN2 to Fallout for no other reason that name dropping.
It must be because of your partial blindness that you didn't see the question:

GB: How would you compare and contrast the protagonist from NWN2 to the likes of Fallout's Vault Dweller, Torment's Nameless One, or KotoR II's last Jedi?

Balor

Arcane
Nah, that was just an insult directed VD (as this site's admin). Notice as they named him "nothing special'? That's their revenge for him bashing NWN.

Drakron

Arcane
Jora said:

GB: How would you compare and contrast the protagonist from NWN2 to the likes of Fallout's Vault Dweller, Torment's Nameless One, or KotoR II's last Jedi?

No because I am not going to GameBanshee to check the interview and so only seen the quite posted here that lacks the question.

And its not last Jedi but Exile ... GameBanshee loses points for not know it and who ever is being interviewed loses points from not correcting then.

obediah

Erudite
Jora said:
Drakron said:

I hadn't read the interview because it wasn't required for the jab I took, and I hated NWN, so my interest in NWN2 is understandably low. But, I figured I'd use my good dead of the day to give the guys a fair shake and found

stupid fucking person said:
plus you get to select a background for your character... If this sounds overwhelming, ...

Sounds like NWN2 will be just as D&D3/Diablo schizophrenic as it's predecessor. With the rats nest of feats and stacking rules 3.5E is, how the fuck could anyone that enjoys it be overwhelmed by picking a background?

conflicted developer said:
The protagonist’s background is really in large part up to you....But no matter what you’re a villager of remote village of West Harbor, and have been your whole life.

Well I'm confused already. What are the odds that most of the backgrounds make absolutely no sense for a hilljack in a tiny primitive village that has never left home?

There’s a lot of gray area, too. As an example, at one point in the story there’s a wicked lady who is on the eve of being put to the headsman’s axe. She really is as guilty as sin, but she begs for clemency and the ultimate decision is placed in your hands. Is it a good thing to be merciful? Perhaps she will turn over a new leaf? Although, she did a marvelous job of trying to ruin your life and others before. You could make arguments either way, and that’s what fun about the shades of gray in RPGs.

I may be alone here, but I really hate the invasion of modern ethics into fantasy settings. Why not give the orcs machie guns?

Some other stuff sounds okay or potentially neat. But the fact remains that combat in NWN SP was so dreadfully horrible, and the D&D system is so dreadfully matched to the diablo mechanics, and combat is such a large part of the game - that I wouldn't buy it if the roleplaying was the best ever.

Twinfalls

Erudite
You know, I'm keeping a really open mind about NWN 2. I'm quite looking forward to it. I think it's going to surprise a lot of people. Just a hunch I have. So does anyone have any module ideas they're kicking around, or anything, blah?

Jason

chasing a bee
Volourn and RP are planning a module I think. I'm definitely looking forward to NWN2, as well. It's not being made by Canadians so there is still the potential for goodness. And nothing in any of the previews has me concerned.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Same here...truly hoping NWN2 will be a good and enjoyable experience, there's a lack of good games anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Volourn and RP are planning a module I think. I'm definitely looking forward to NWN2, as well. It's not being made by Canadians so there is still the potential for goodness. And nothing in any of the previews has me concerned."

A. Yes, we are. that said, atm, I'm still in the slow process of finishing up my NWN module(s).

B. It's funny you bash Kanandians, and then Rp (who has awesome ideas), and my planned NWN2 module when I happen to be Kanadian...

R00fles!

C. While I'm looking forward to NWN2, and I think it has soem greta improvements in store; there's also some utter crap that they're adding.

D0uble R00fles!

Jason

chasing a bee
I have every right to bash Canadians because a Canadian rodeo clown killed my father when I was young. Let's never speak of it again. I don't know about the Portuguese because they haven't killed any of my family members yet.

But, grabass aside, I hope you guys let us know about your modules when they're done. I'd like to check them out.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
have every right to bash Canadians because a Canadian rodeo clown killed my father when I was young."

If only they had killed your mom when she was pregnant with you so we wouldn't ahve to read your wining about it. :D :wink:

"ut, grabass aside, I hope you guys let us know about your modules when they're done. I'd like to check them out."

Okay dokay.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
You know, I'm keeping a really open mind about NWN 2. I'm quite looking forward to it. I think it's going to surprise a lot of people. Just a hunch I have. So does anyone have any module ideas they're kicking around, or anything, blah?

Yeah, me and Volourn are in the process of developing a Neverwinter Nights 2 module. We plan on developing a story that has a definite beggining and a definite end, from which the PC cannot escape; but to give enough expression to the players so the PC's advancement and destiny is ultimately up to them.

We're also playing around with the concept of making the PC both important and secondary to the story. The PC will be alien to the gameworld, easilly abusable and exploitable by some, feared and disliked by others. He'll be a pawn for several entities, but this does not preclude him making himself relevant in the world. Again, this will be up to the player, and we plan on making it so depending on his attitude troughout the game, the PC can fall under the shadows of greater beings or outright match them in power.

There will be an overaching plot from which the player cannot escape, and while there are common story elements such as what one would call a hero and a villain, we hope to make it less standard than what it seems at first glance. The story will focus more on the feud between the so-called hero and the so-called villain, and while the PC's accidental involvement between their dispute will gradually become more important, it still won't be about the "chosen one who must save the world". Rather, we want to make the player be shown both sides so he can make his own mind about who is right - and who he'd like to support. If he wants to support either, that is. There'll be enough reasons for either scenario.

I think it's safe to say the larger part of the story will be a guideline; it will only become the driving force of the game into its later stages.

As for roleplaying, we want to make the player experience the gameworld, we want to put the world back into gameworld. Not just seeing the sights and greeting the locals: we want to do our best in creating a place where the player can interact with everything (that is humanly possible to allow for), learning and questioning what he comes upon. I think nearly everything will have its own story which the player can learn about, and even influence to a degree, be it something as simple as an NPC or as complex as a city. Wheter you're talking to a dwarf, orc or dragonkin, or are just plane hopping, we want to make the player experience it in several ways.

Through some of this we plan on including situation which will enable the player to form the PC's own identity, be it trough actions or inactions. Deciding on wheter one should slay an innocent in order to save hundreds can have consequences as dramatic as just standing and watching an old man being robbed. But ultimately none of these will ever be negative to the point of making progression a pain in the butt. While some decisions will make it harder on the PC, advancing will still very much be possible.

In short, we want to make a module that's fun to play, and roleplay.

Also, shrimp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom