Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN2 review at GameSpot - 8.6

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
TheGreatGodPan said:
Drakron said:
Romances are a option to character development.

You all push for PS:T but what about Annah, Deionarra and Ravel that loved the Nameless One?

Its only bad when its done for the heck of it, KotOR2 is a example of it.
They always suck, including in PS:T.
<s>Au contraire</s> O contrare, I thought the Deionarra romance bit was really well done. I didn't pursue the one with Annah (though I did bite her when the option presented itself) because it seemed a bit forced and I didn't realize that Ravel loved TNO until I just read it here. But Deionarra was well done and not your typical fantasy love story.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Baphomet said:
Ladonna's post makes me think of a question - does anyone who can get dates care about cRPG romances? I sure as hell don't.

I welcome romance as an option in any computer RPG. Actually, most games are so focused on fighting, that I welcome anything you can do besides fighting.
Romance is hard to do well and I don't think it's ever been done well, but what Bioware and Obsidian did in previous games was better than nothing.

There is way too little romance in computer RPG:s. There is way too little of almost anything but fighting. I would like more of everything and anything, as long as it's not turned into a stupid mini-game.

Mini-games I hate. :x

Take the persuasion system in Oblivion for instance. The idea that you should be able to influence NPCs by telling jokes or flattering them is great. But what you get in Oblivion is probably the worst implementation of a great idea in a game ever. It's so absolutely and completely stupid and ridiculous, that everything else in the game seems brilliant in comparison. And that's saying a lot. But don't get me started...

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
SPOILERS AHEAD IF MY MEMORY IS RELIABLE

Deionarra is dead before the game begins. It's not really an option or part of the plot, but part of the prologue. Similarly, you don't really get the option to play as the Paranoid Incarnation (not that I would expect the game to provide that), you just learn about him in the past and finally meet him/you at the end.

I'm actually a bit unclear about the Nameless One's previous incarnation. Perhaps someone explained things to me in an earlier thread and it slipped my mind. I know that someone said there was a blind archer that accompanied him. Morte and Deionarra were his other companions. Morte somehow lied and and as a result caused TNO to die, which is how he wound up in the pillar of skulls (so he must have been a companion before Deionarra and was human at the time). I don't know what exactly Morte did though. Deionarra got stuck in the Fortress of Regret or whatnot, but TNO and Morte wound up in the crypt. They couldn't have been dragged back by the street urchins, so apparently they knew how to get out even though the player doesn't later on. I'm still unclear why dying in game does not cause memory loss or by what mechanism memories of the big three incarnations are recovered (other than through sensate stones).

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
Then again, wearing fullplate +2 and the NWN2 uber tower shield +1 for an ac of 26 at level 6 (actually level 4) probably is the reason.

That could explain something. I have not even seen a fullplate +1 when at level 10. Getting the right loot can make that difference. You probably don't play hardcore either.

aboyd

Liturgist
TheGreatGodPan said:
I'm still unclear why dying in game does not cause memory loss or by what mechanism memories of the big three incarnations are recovered (other than through sensate stones).

Unfortunately, the memory loss & recovery is one of the few mysteries that isn't solved over at the PS:T Fix Pack site. They have comments from Avellone on just about everything else. Oddly, the best result I could find in a Google search was one of my own posts, here:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 607#163607

Apparently, my own mortality is slipping away, as I don't recall writing that. :)

-Tony

Hazelnut

Erudite
Limorkil said:
Baphomet said:
Ladonna's post makes me think of a question - does anyone who can get dates care about cRPG romances? I sure as hell don't.

I agree. After a long day choosing the correct responses to give my wife, the last thing I want is some computer generated tart expecting the same thing.

:lol:

kris

Arcane
Hazelnut said:
Limorkil said:
Baphomet said:

I agree. After a long day choosing the correct responses to give my wife, the last thing I want is some computer generated tart expecting the same thing.

:lol:

If game would be anything like real life the best responses are:
"yeah"
"uhum"
"I agree"
"How does that make you feel"
"yes"

Demands a wisdom of 16+ though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You probably don't play hardcore either."

Stop the bullshitting.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
aboyd said:
TheGreatGodPan said:
I'm still unclear why dying in game does not cause memory loss or by what mechanism memories of the big three incarnations are recovered (other than through sensate stones).

Unfortunately, the memory loss & recovery is one of the few mysteries that isn't solved over at the PS:T Fix Pack site. They have comments from Avellone on just about everything else. Oddly, the best result I could find in a Google search was one of my own posts, here:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 607#163607

Apparently, my own mortality is slipping away, as I don't recall writing that. :)

-Tony
Hey, at least you're not me asking the exact same questions! I'd never heard of the Fix Pack site, I'll see if I can find it.

aboyd

Liturgist
The good page on the Fix Pack site is the "crap" page:

http://www.planescape-torment.org/?page=crap

It contains all the answers to the miscellaneous questions people often have about parts of Planescape: Torment. Most of the answers come directly from posts the developers made.

Avin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Does TOEE have MP or a DM? No?

Game over.

Toee has DM, it's a classic D&D module even before a electronic game. Words are so mean...

Game over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom