Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old DOS RPGs that don't use many keyboard buttons?

Stabwound

Arcane
Okay, this might sound like a weird request at first, but I'm looking for old (early 90's and before) rpgs that don't use many different keys. The reason being that there is a DosBox port for the PSP, which only has 12 mappable buttons, 4 of which being the up/down/left/right buttons, although they're best mapped to the corresponding keys. The analog stick can also be used to control a mouse or joystick, although it's quite irritating to use as such.

Unfortunately, I've tried Might and Magic 4/5, and although they'll run, they're a bit choppy. Dark Sun also works, but it has load time before every creature/character action, which is really annoying. Basically, the games have to be a bit less graphically intensive than that, I guess. Wasteland seems to work pretty well, and even supports a mouse.

Anyone have any suggestions? I realize these requirements really narrow the selection down, but there must be something, right? :lol:

Kavax

Scholar
Try the Quest for Glory series. Really good (and funny) games, and they only require a mouse (Analog stick in your case)

Have you tried C64 RPG's? Some of them only required a joystick. Games like Legacy of the ancients, Legend of Blacksilver, etc, allow you to hold down the joystick button and scroll up or down to pick your option.

The Goldbox games can be played without a keyboard as well. At least on C64 and Amiga. Pretty sure the dos versions can also be played without the keyboard.

mondblut

Arcane
Goldboxes, Wizardry, Ultima 6-, many others are mouse-driven. Although annoying to play with a mouse alone even with a mouse proper, and must be horrible with analog joystick

8utt3rs

Educated
Dosbox for PSP doesn't seems to work prefectly.

You may try playing Nethack and Angband for PSP,since they have a decent running speed, and a friendly control scheme.

Ultima 7 (Exult PSP for PSP version) runs smoothly in PSP, but the control really gets on my nerves

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom