Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Opinion: Deadfire has the best quest design of any CRPG

Reinhardt

Arcane
"Deadfire is open from the start!" But almost all islands is just one room fight just like small locations from Kingmaker. And you need to clear ~45 small "one room fight" locations in kingmaker just to open road to hidden boss. In Deadfire you have like 20 or so islands total with any content.

"Big monsters!" I remember only kraken from base Deadfire and it's just recycle from first game. Others are added with dlcs. So it's not because Deadfire is better, it just have more dlcs at this time because it was released half year earlier.

Also kingdom upgrade>useless ship upgrades

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
"How many people finished it" is also a shit metric for how good a game is
Agreed, it's possibly more relevant that nearly half of all Kingmaker players never get as far as founding a barony, ie the "kingmaker" part

Only 60% of the people who played Deadfire got to Neketaka, compared to the 55% who founded a Barony and getting to Neketaka takes much less time.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The more damning statistic is that only 10% finish chapter 3 of Kingmaker. That's 2% less than the amount of people that finish Pillars 1, and half of what finish Pillars 2.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason it has garbage reviews and low completion rates isn't because it's 'too hardcore' or 'too buggy,' but because it's mediocre Russian shovelware.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
The more damning statistic is that only 10% finish chapter 3 of Kingmaker. That's 2% less than the amount of people that finish Pillars 1, and half of what finish Pillars 2.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason it has garbage reviews and low completion rates isn't because it's 'too hardcore' or 'too buggy,' but because it's mediocre Russian shovelware.
Actually, you are incorrect, 15.2% of people completed chapter 3 of Kingmaker:

Ez2qAYE.png

Finishing Chapter 3 of Kingmaker takes as long as completing the entirity of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, I have played and completed both.

Chapter 4 in Kingmaker has an 11.1% completion rate:

iSLokXg.png

I think it is more interesting to consider why the massive dropoff rate at these points and it is likely a combination of a shorter player attention span and the fact that these are the points at which Kingmaker becomes buggy.

Okagron

Prophet
I guess the OP never heard the concept of "dropping a game because i'm busy playing another game". Not everyone plays the game from start to finish, sometimes they drop it and go play something else, and in some cases never actually come back because some other game is taking their time.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You know what must really eat at Obsidian? They spent all this money, millions of dollars on Deadfire, and they really made the attempt to have this game be a true hit. Oh they tried real hard, they even hired a whole group of voice actors that have their own fandom and are known in the gaming industry, pulling out the stops so they can finally enter that pantheon of CRPG greats. 4.4 million dollars in crowdfunding alone! In the pitch video they defrosted Feargus from his cryogenic sleep for the occasion, this was THE game for Obsidian. The SLAMMIEST OF DUNKS.

And they were dispatched by an unknown developer. Not even their precious black-ops team of Critical Role voice actors could stand up to an Avellone-approved companion. Yeah, enjoy your bisexual pirates crew that sail around on a ship which has cannons that only fires TEXT. What a bunch of frickin' geeks, hah. In Kingmaker you actively participate in drunken goblin parties and create for them a national anthem.

What do you do in Deadfire? Drink from coconuts or something? Wear a lei of lilies? Fall in love with fishmen voiced by Matthew Mercer? Yeah, I think I'll take my incline elsewhere.

Reinhardt

Arcane
The more damning statistic is that only 10% finish chapter 3 of Kingmaker.
You need more time to finish first 3 chapters in Kingmaker than to finish Deadfire twice. Also you can just rush Deadfire in 30 minutes.

Unwanted

Товарищ

Unwanted
I dont see how OPs post is a complement? You basically kill everything on the map anyway and then do the shtick vs the impossible mob. So all those options are actually 1...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom