Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Panzer General 2 and WinXP

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Any way it can happen? I've tried compatibility mode obviously, 256 colors, no visual themes, pretty much all that I've ran across so far. The game starts, and I can even more the cursor, just not over the menu buttons, crashes at that point...

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Hmpf, works fine on XP here... Even without compatibility mode. Maybe you got some tweaks/programs running or something?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah, I could run it too, compatibility mode and I was using SP1. Sorry that was long ago I cant remember now.

You might also have to use the DirectXTool and disable Direct3D, HW acceleration and such.

LCJr.

Erudite
Do you have a 8000 series Nvidia card? If so that's your problem.

LCJr.

Erudite
Welcome to the club. Nvidia has really dropped the ball on backwards compatibility. I've been checking into ATI lately, they're better about backwards compatibility but not perfect.

Maybe I'm getting too cynical or paranoid but when I look at the member list for the PC Gaming Alliance I see a group of companies that have nothing to gain from me playing older games. They only gain if my old games become unplayable and I keep upgrading my hardware to play the new games coming out.
http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/en/about/members.asp
PC Gaming Alliance (PCGA) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to drive worldwide growth of PC gaming. Its membership includes leading computer hardware and software companies from around the world.

To provide an open forum where members cooperate in developing and promoting solutions that drive the PC gaming industry forward. PCGA encourages the exchange of information and views to promote PC gaming and shares promotional activity designed to grow PC gaming among members of the group, related industries and consumers.

On my gaming to-do list is look into virtual machines like VirtualPC and VMWare Player.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
You can try your luck with emulators some are extremely good but in the end no one can ever be perfect.

A much better idea is to keep some recent computer, I have an Athlon XP1700 and my previous XP3200 under lock and key. How I wished I had not given my Pentium 90 to a friend - who later on simply threw it away though I'd told him not to - because that system was ideal for running MS-DOS and soundblaster in hardware, I would need it now for games like Buzz Aldrins Race Into Space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom