Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If you want to go pet-less try Forester Hunter on Lann. He starts with Combat Reflexes which unlocks Seize the Moment for Tactician, which is really good for Boss fights. Later you can add Shake it Off as well.

Then you can just leave Aru on the bench (since he'll cover both Ranger and Druid spells) and use some of the other companions like Greybor.

He’s a great Shield Basher.

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
Created a portrait pack. 71 different.

353-1659327309-2082680214.jpeg

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderwrathoftherighteous/mods/353?tab=files

not sure how it holds up to the other packs, i looked briefly at one, it seemed like it was just taken from the web (like googled for fantasy images and then cropped to fit).

Stoned Ape

Savant
So, just tried out a small party for bonus early experience run through Kanabres for a slight boost to level for chapter 1.

The XP earned for this should be the same for Core difficulty and above. If playing on a lower difficulty, you need to select the extra enemy option in difficulty settings. Doing this will invalidate achievements.

Start with XP for active party members only.

Switch it off just before new members join, then back on again.

Complete Shield Maze as normal (don't forget to grab every item* on the map leaving screen, then back out and sell it to the Mongrel Merchant for an early gold boost).

*do this one item at a time, then click the X on the top right of the screen. You will automatically transition if you click the collect all button.

You should be almost at level 4 at this point.

Pick up the little side quests at the Defender's Heart *except* collecting Woljif.

Buy whatever scrolls and potions you think you'll need (I tend to invest between 6-8k on consumables as I don't want to be resting at any point soon. Attack spell scrolls such as Burning Arc and Fireball are extremely useful if your main character is an arcane caster. Also buy a protection from fire (communial) scroll and probably a Death Ward).

-Don't forget to pick up the Pitax Cellar location from the barkeep, the house quest from Gwerm (the fat noble you rescued from the caverns), the library from Staunton, and the two extra locations (Silken Threads and Topaz Solutions) from Anevia after talking to her a second time.

Go to the Market Square and clear it *except* for picking up Ember.

Travel to either the Silken Threads Altelier or the Tower of Estrod. Unfortunately, Nenio will join up on the way in a random encounter so from now on you'll have a crew of 5 and slightly less XP per kill.

However, despite the annoying wizard joining your party, you should hit level 5 after clearing either one of these locations.

Clear whichever of the two locations you didn't clear initially.

Complete Gwerm's house, Topaz Solutions, the Tirabade residence, and the Party House (Daeran will join to end the last of your XP boost*) in that order. Go back to Market Square and pick up Ember. Complete the Dezna quest.

*at this point switch off 'only active characters gain XP.'

You can now have a rest.

Clear out the Pitax Wine Cellar and the Library. Use the storyteller to teleport back to the tavern.

Collect Woljif and complete his quest.

Depending upon how many random encounters you had while wandering the city, you will either be at or just below level 6.

Return to the Defender's Arms and rest before the tavern battle. (You should definitely be at level 6 after the battle, it's worth 835 + 690 XP reward if completed with no tavern damage)

After completing the tavern brawl, revisit the market square and re-clear it for the extra XP and items.

You are now ready to speak to Irabeth ant start the Grey Garrison assault.

After clearing the garrison, you should be close to level 7.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
I mean, they give you a Resist Cold and Prot Cold Pot now. Why nerf him the whole game for one optional fight that Cam or a pet can already tank? Truly don’t get this.

Lann is the one companion that can be profitably multi-classed (Wend probably can but straight Fighter is REALLY good) and there are a lot of directions he can go but… you gotta use the Bow. He’s priced into that.

Not like you’re flooded with archers.
I've used Lann pure zen archer on my first playthrough, then divine hunter (16)/zen archer (4), empyreal sorcerer(19)/zen archer (1), druid (19)/zen archer (1)

This time I want to try playing Lann as a crusader and Arue as a Ranger (8)/Eldritch Archer (12) just because I've not tried them like that yet, and it's more fun to try different things with the companions instead of just repeating the same stuff.

I'm also probably going to do something different with Regil and Greybor this time, too (not made my mind up yet as to what though).

EDIT: I'm also going for no pets this time, so no horse for Seelah, even though the steed is far, far better than divine weapon bond.
Yeah I get that but I try to do those things without nerfing myself. It just gives him a dead feat/level. Seelah makes a better Crusader than Lann. You can always try to get there with the Snap Shot on him even if you do multi.

And with Aru already having 8 lvls in Ranger going a different direction is superbad. She has enough CHR try to make her a Ranger caster if you want to switch things up there.
I've decided to not go for changing Aru, it would hurt too much to lose her instant enemy/shared ability from Ranger.

On the other hand, I don't think you'll like what I've done to Woljif:

Woljif-Archer.jpg

Just finished off all the tasks in the camp at the beginning of act 2 and grabbed just enough XP to reach 7th level.

I'll be aiming to grab Elemental Barrage with him after the chapel.

Also, as Lann and Cam are my front-rankers, Seelah is being used as a bardiche-wielding heavy-hitter; I'll work her towards using Vital Strike.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, actually sounds like a decent plan for Woljif. Elemental Barrage is more reliable then sneak attacks and maguses have means to make sure their attacks stick. Bonus Hellfire Ray (or Elemental Asessor, perhaps!) spam with Spell Combat can't hurt either. Just get Debilitating Injury from rogue level 4.

Desiderius

Patron
Nah so many Rogue abilities are melee specific. Been there done that. Do people just not like Reduce Person for some reason? And Elemental Barrage is massively overrated.

If you want another ranged toon Cam sets up much better for that. And she already has the Barrage package if you're stuck on that (I prefer taking her Winter Witch with Second Spirit and maxxing Meta on Snowballs - and eventually Polar Ray - with Secret Hex and Favorite Meta). Anything that scales by Mythic level just isn't that good because they backloaded so many of the levels.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nah so many Rogue abilities are melee specific. Been there done that. Do people just not like Reduce Person for some reason? And Elemental Barrage is massively overrated.

If you want another ranged toon Cam sets up much better for that. And she apready has the Barrage package if you're stuck on that (I prefer taking her Winter Witch with Second Spirit and maxxing Meta on Snowballs - and eventually Polar Ray - with Secret Hex and Favorite Meta). Anything that scales by Mythic level just isn't that good because they backloaded so many of the levels.
Yes, I have not found a way to reliably use Elemental Barrage except with that dragon pet that gives you bonus random elemental damage with each attack.
You basically need to turn on different elements with characters like Camellia each round and it is even harder for other characters.

RunningWolf

Learned
Though about Kineticist and Demon in particular and decided that its a meme. Outside of limited Demonic rage, the damage from Deadly earth is something like 250-ish? Decent considering its unavoidable AOE, but wont be oneshotting much, like either casters or melees can.
Principal anti-synergy of class and mythic in that Kineticist doesn't need to rest much, but Demon needs to rest more than anything else in the game.
Before 13 its pretty shit in both control and damage.
Annoying lingering AOE every fight.

Don't see any upside to playing the class other than "i want to".

ArchAngel

Arcane
Though about Kineticist and Demon in particular and decided that its a meme. Outside of limited Demonic rage, the damage from Deadly earth is something like 250-ish? Decent considering its unavoidable AOE, but wont be oneshotting much, like either casters or melees can.
Principal anti-synergy of class and mythic in that Kineticist doesn't need to rest much, but Demon needs to rest more than anything else in the game.

Lingering AoE should be fixable with dismiss ability?!
As for kineticist, Trickster focusing on Rays is probably better option.

Desiderius

Patron
Free Finesse and DEX-to-dam prices Wolj into melee. His (very good) defenses there require more buffs than people are used to using in P:K so he can seem a little fragile at first I guess. Too many game-long decisions being made on the basis of too little information.

Wrath gives you more rests than P:K and Abundant Casting so it shouldn’t be a problem keeping Mage Armor, Reduce, Shield, Cat’s Grace, and Blur/Image up (Image prior to a tough fight, Blur for an area), with Barkskin from Cam and Heroism from wherever. Bubble Buff makes it all painless. You don't have all that yet in Garrison so maybe he seems fragile there? You do once you get out until you lose him and that's the time where he both slays and you most need it (he can tank/kill half of Garg cave duo with Yaker).

Wolj and Yaker.jpg

Can hardly see him up there because he's Reduced I guess but he took on that whole ramp with Yaker and Bookworm's Headband made him immune to the Holds the Clerics like to cast.

Wolj6stealthworldmap.jpg

Obv he's good before Garrison for several reasons - here his Stealth let's you avoid random spawns for when you need to conserve rests before Defense.

Wolj 7 vs Smilo.jpg

Image good vs Hard Smilos guarding Keen Longbow

Wolj7 casting Slow.jpg

Latest thing I've done with him is add Transmutation magic with Mythic Focus. He can cast Slow with Swift Action using Darven's Hat. Then later Obsidian Flow for Difficult Terrain and turning on Fire Items.

wolj7stunhighclericgarg.jpg

This was when Nenio's scrolls were bugged with super high DCs. Now they're just high, and Wolj can cast them.

wolj7vanishtrickery.jpg

Rogue gets bonus to Perception with level making them the perfect scout. Wolj comes with his own Vanish to disarm inconvenient Traps undetected.

Wolj8interruptHardShiv.jpg

Likewise his own True Strike to interrupt casters while rest of team is on the way. Lann + Bless Weapon stole his glory here a little bit.

wolj8vsShivUnfair.jpg

Prior pic was on Hard, this is Unfair.

You lose him shortly after that, but by the time you get him back you can start using his rnd/lvl spells like Sense Vitals, Stunning Barrier, and Displacement and really go off.

Wolj10owning MassiveDemon.jpg

You can tack on Vivi if you want some utility after ES12 (unlocks Double Debilitation) or maybe you can pick that with Vivi on top of ES 10 (when Debilitating kicks up another -2) but just like it's hard to beat a Pal in this setting it's hard to beat ES when you've got this many casts to work with. Most P:K companions could go a lot of different ways without wasting what they started with but that's much less the case with Wrath.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

There's items that make it kind of ridiculous along with the Mythic abilities. Can use the Touch since no Jewb I guess. Been afraid to play it yet since highly likely it's still only partially functional.

Pretty damn good in that crappy low-level DLC can say from experience.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

If you want another ranged toon Cam sets up much better for that. And she apready has the Barrage package if you're stuck on that (I prefer taking her Winter Witch with Second Spirit and maxxing Meta on Snowballs - and eventually Polar Ray - with Secret Hex and Favorite Meta). Anything that scales by Mythic level just isn't that good because they backloaded so many of the levels.
Yes, I have not found a way to reliably use Elemental Barrage except with that dragon pet that gives you bonus random elemental damage with each attack.
You basically need to turn on different elements with characters like Camellia each round and it is even harder for other characters.
Actually, It's easier with a Magus like Eldritch Archer - with Enduring Arcana...

RunningWolf

Learned

Waiting for dismiss animation after every encounter is the annoying part. As well as positioning in fights.

If you wanna be a rayblaster then generic hellfire spammer looks like a better kineticist.

Desiderius

Patron

Actually, It's easier with a Magus like Eldritch Archer - with Enduring Arcana...
Min per activation is enough, she gets plenty, especially by the time Barrage would be relevant. Can also just give melee ES Wolj Martial for AreeSu’s Kukri if youre set on Barrage. That way you dont lose your DEX-to-Damage and have to start over on another class.

MC EA is great with Cleaving Shot and the Keen Heavy XBow (is that fixed yet?) but not so much with three dead levels tacked on. It’s already a little slow-developing.

Desiderius

Patron

Waiting for dismiss animation after every encounter is the annoying part. As well as positioning in fights.

If you wanna be a rayblaster then generic hellfire spammer looks like a better kineticist.
You get the second Ray at what CL 15? Most of the game is done by then. Kinnie does more damage until the third one comes in with some nice debuffs tacked on, no muss no fuss.

RunningWolf

Learned
Hellfire blaster isn't limited to hellfire ray. Its a full arcane blaster. I just call it that for ease of communication. Full arcane wipes the floor with Kineticist from level 1 to level 13. Level 13 is where Kineticist stops being dogshit but its also not long before Arcanes start to melt faces.

Desiderius

Patron
Hellfire blaster isn't limited to hellfire ray. Its a full arcane blaster. I just call it that for ease of communication. Full arcane wipes the floor with Kineticist from level 1 to level 13. Level 13 is where Kineticist stops being dogshit but its also not long before Arcanes start to melt faces.
Have you done Kinnie in Wrath with the Mythics and items? I know you get one when you save Storyteller and that’s well before lvl 13. The other one is for sale in Ch 2 I think. You end up with 17-20 crit range which I guess you can widen further with Trickster.

Too much Deadly Earth tunnel vision. Celerity alone would be a great pick-up way before that.

They did some kind of speed kill challenge and the guy was one-shotting Jeslyn and Minagho with Kinnie.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
Free Finesse and DEX-to-dam prices Wolj into melee. His (very good) defenses there require more buffs than people are used to using in P:K so he can seem a little fragile at first I guess. Too many game-long decisions being made on the basis of too little information.

Wrath gives you more rests than P:K and Abundant Casting so it shouldn’t be a problem keeping Mage Armor, Reduce, Shield, Cat’s Grace, and Blur/Image up (Image prior to a tough fight, Blur for an area), with Barkskin from Cam and Heroism from wherever. Bubble Buff makes it all painless. You don't have all that yet in Garrison so maybe he seems fragile there? You do once you get out until you lose him and that's the time where he both slays and you most need it (he can tank/kill half of Garg cave duo with Yaker).

View attachment 26744

Can hardly see him up there because he's Reduced I guess but he took on that whole ramp with Yaker and Bookworm's Headband made him immune to the Holds the Clerics like to cast.

View attachment 26737

Obv he's good before Garrison for several reasons - here his Stealth let's you avoid random spawns for when you need to conserve rests before Defense.

View attachment 26738

Image good vs Hard Smilos guarding Keen Longbow

View attachment 26739

Latest thing I've done with him is add Transmutation magic with Mythic Focus. He can cast Slow with Swift Action using Darven's Hat. Then later Obsidian Flow for Difficult Terrain and turning on Fire Items.

View attachment 26740

This was when Nenio's scrolls were bugged with super high DCs. Now they're just high, and Wolj can cast them.

View attachment 26741

Rogue gets bonus to Perception with level making them the perfect scout. Wolj comes with his own Vanish to disarm inconvenient Traps undetected.

View attachment 26742

Likewise his own True Strike to interrupt casters while rest of team is on the way. Lann + Bless Weapon stole his glory here a little bit.

View attachment 26743

Prior pic was on Hard, this is Unfair.

You lose him shortly after that, but by the time you get him back you can start using his rnd/lvl spells like Sense Vitals, Stunning Barrier, and Displacement and really go off.

View attachment 26745

You can tack on Vivi if you want some utility after ES12 (unlocks Double Debilitation) or maybe you can pick that with Vivi on top of ES 10 (when Debilitating kicks up another -2) but just like it's hard to beat a Pal in this setting it's hard to beat ES when you've got this many casts to work with. Most P:K companions could go a lot of different ways without wasting what they started with but that's much less the case with Wrath.
Yeah, I've played with Woljif as a straight ET a couple of times; he's extremely effective. Also multi-clessed him with Vivi (both as a 12/8 and a 3/17 spilt) and yes, he is strong (unless you get ambushed on the overland map by a pack of plagued smilodons and you can't get his buffs up in time).

Again, I wanted to experiment with him and so far, I've had zero problems running him as a ET/EA.

I've been playing exclusively in TB mode. Woljif was very effective at getting off ranged spell-strikes from stealth to set up a chain charge from my melee characters in the surprise round. I sailed through Grey Garrison without using a rest. He might not be the perfect character to turn into an archer, but he still does a really good job.

He'll be missing for Drezen (probably between level 8-10), but I'll get Arue then, and when I pick Woljif up again at level 11 he'll be an 8th level EA, which is a decent start for barrage (acid dart+2 elements from imbue and the last from the lightning bow from a succubus I'll find pretty quickly; there's loads of them about after all).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the party composition so far, and if anything it feels more overpowered than gimped (and I've even taken an EK level on my sorcerer!).

Desiderius

Patron
Any Rogue (including subclasses) without Double Debilitation is just uninteresting. Its the distinguishing feature of the Class and one of the strongest in the game. People jump thru hoops to get +2 STR or whatever when that’s +1 AB/Dam while Double Debilitation is effectively +2/+2 AB/AC for whole team (untyped) with additional +4/+4 AB/AC for Rogue itself (kicks up to +6 at ES 16).

Without that you’re a glorified Greybor with three dead levels. I mean you could make Daeran a Sylvan Sorc or Ember an Eldritch Scion but what’s the point?

The ironic thing is that even as OP as melee Wolj is he often doesnt make the team by the time he comes back because by then Nenio can consistently control the whole battlefield which is something I may need at that point over AB/AC and damage/melee resilience.

Usually depends if my MC is melee or not and/or INT-based.

RunningWolf

Learned
Have you done Kinnie in Wrath with the Mythics and items? I know you get one when you save Storyteller and that’s well before lvl 13. The other one is for sale in Ch 2 I think. You end up with 17-20 crit range which I guess you can widen further with Trickster.

Too much Deadly Earth tunnel vision. Celerity alone would be a great pick-up way before that.

They did some kind of speed kill challenge and the guy was one-shotting Jeslyn and Minagho with Kinnie.
The only Kineticist items i know are the diadem which add 4d6 damage at most prior to 13 and a crit ring. All of it is act 3 skeletal merchant gear. You get a better diadem in act 5 but who cares at that point. That's a pathetic amount of damage by my standard. Its maybe great for a ray blaster at that point, but a proper Arcane blaster can do that damage to all targets in AOE.

The tunnel on Deadly Earth is because its objectively the best Kineticist power. Nothing else comes even close to it.

You can do a lot of damage with aspects. Im not saying Kineticist cant do big numbers, just that he cant do them every encounter, which is why i call Demon Kineticist a meme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom