Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Patrician III: Rise of the Hanse

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Patrician III is an amazing game. It's one of those games of the past that are true classics. It's basically Patrician II with an expansion pack, so one can skip playing Patrician II. The Guild (Europa 1400: The Guild) is also nice, but unfortunatelly plagued with bugs.
Patrician 3 is so good. An underappreciated classic like Emperor or Hinterland. Played the crap out of this game after I played several trading focused flash games on the old flash game sites. One of them was like flying wind ships or something. Victoria 3 wishes it was as cool as Patrician 3.

Axioms actually attempts to capture *some* of the old P3 magic, though without the sweet visual stuff.

What are emperor and hinterland?

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom is the culmination of that 90's Sierra owned city building series. Each game introduced slightly new/better mechanics in a new setting (ancient Rome --> Egypt --> Greece) but based on the same general formula, and then this final one was set in ancient China. Never played Hinterland though.
Yeah Emperor was the best city builder until Banished IMO. So much fun and unique setting.

Hinterland is a sort of Majesty-like game but you have one character you can control to go on quests and stuff. I would say if Majesty 1 was 9/10 Hinterland was 7.5/10 or so. Majesty 2 was like 5/10.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Patrician III is an amazing game. It's one of those games of the past that are true classics. It's basically Patrician II with an expansion pack, so one can skip playing Patrician II. The Guild (Europa 1400: The Guild) is also nice, but unfortunatelly plagued with bugs.
Patrician 3 is so good. An underappreciated classic like Emperor or Hinterland. Played the crap out of this game after I played several trading focused flash games on the old flash game sites. One of them was like flying wind ships or something. Victoria 3 wishes it was as cool as Patrician 3.

Axioms actually attempts to capture *some* of the old P3 magic, though without the sweet visual stuff.
What do you think about Railroad Tycoon 2? It's my favorite tycoon game next to Patrician 3.
I never really played tycoon games. I'm not super interested in modern/contemporary settings.
It's not really a "tycoon game" as in part of the "X tycoon" series. It's just unfortunately named. It has a pretty nice economics model and a stock market model which allows you to perform a 19th c. "robber barron" style hostile takeovers or undermine the purchasing power (PP) of your competitors. It spans the 1850s-1990s period, but it's mostly intended to be played in the golden age of railroads - 1850s- early 1900s

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
And now I found a new nasty tactic.

Assume you have a competitor outside of city wall. He's well developed.
There are three roads that approach the city. In case of siege these businesses would be destroyed.

So where would you put your vineyard?

In case you'd want to continue support city, it's obvious it shouldn't be in the same position as vineyard of your competitor.

But, assume you have money and can stomach small loses... THen the answer is obvious. Build ONE vineyard on the same road as businesses of your competitor. If enemy sees your wineyard and decide to attack into direction of your vineyard, enemy army destroys ALL, and your competitor is screwed.

Norfleet

Strictly speaking, that has nothing to do with whether you build a vineyard there at all. It's caused by building outside of the walls (which kinda makes having a wall rather pointless). However, if you fail to keep the Prince satisfied, he will besiege the city. If it's not your problem to do so because you're not even an official, well, then, it'll happen or not and there's nothing you can do about it.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The siegers go where the defenses are the lightest. Basically where there's the least amount of cannons. Otherwise it's random.

But I love your enthusiasm.

Norfleet

The siegers go where the defenses are the lightest. Basically where there's the least amount of cannons. Otherwise it's random.

But I love your enthusiasm.
Well, it's not quite random, either: It depends on which city is annoying the Prince. Once you become mayor, you can definitely get sieged a lot more by annoying the Prince.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it's not quite random, either: It depends on which city is annoying the Prince. Once you become mayor, you can definitely get sieged a lot more by annoying the Prince.
No, no, no. I mean, yes: you're 100% correct. But I was just saying that each town has 3 entrances. The entrance that is chosen is usually the one with the least amount of defense.

Norfleet

Yes, but you don't have to do anything to get your rivals burned down, and in most cases, you probably can't, unless you're in charge of annoying the Prince to get him to siege the city and burn down the shit of people who put their shit outside the city.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom