Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Peter Thomas confirms no Friendly Fire in Dragon Age 2

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kaanyrvhok said:
Crooked Bee said:
Really? Well, console games *are* harder than PC games nowadays, unfortunately, so that just may make sense.

DA:O had incompetent and unimaginative design. As concerned as they were for making the game accesible to the console audiance they failed to include a basic and useful control that would have made combat a lot easier and better. So they patched the game and reduced the difficulty instead of simply adding the control.

Ah so that's the reason. Thanks, now I see what Bio was up to. Removing or reducing something instead of fixing it seems to be their usual approach. ;)

Dantus12

Educated
The problem starts for me here :

Starting out the game, players are tasked to select from three builds to carry over from the first game if they don’t have a save to upload. The three builds are as follows verbatim:

“Hero of Ferelden” (Default )
Ended Fifth Blight by killing Archdemon and survived. Placed Alistair on the throne.

“The Martyr”
Young Dalish Elf who died to kill the Archdemon. She left the kingdom ruled by Alisair and Anora.

“No Compromise”
Dwarven noble took command of Grey Wardens. Exalted Alistair, sent Loghain to his death against Archdemon, and left Anora as Ferelden’s ruler.

Source :
http://pc.gamezone.com/previews/item/dragon_age_ii/

If and only if they go by these default choices , meaning that they have the most impact on the game, than some imported characters are rather pointless.

The problem is that none of the default choices even remotely matches mine.

DA2 known character classes:

Carver is warrior and Bethany is a mage, that leaves Isabella and Varric as rogues.
Fenris and Avelline are warriors too.
Those that played Origins know that they did the same thing, you could not open the Ostagar chests.

The devs explained that there is no lock bash.

I see it as limiting the party build , not about the appearances.
The fact that they removed the loyalty system now forces a class build based on needs and looks , instead of going by the " personality" of your character.

Only reflecting on Origins however. It may or may not have any impact with the general removal of all customizations , NPC personality's and a protagonist that is becoming very " set in stone."

The devs said that the game is shorter than Origins and longer than Awakenings.

It took me 10 hours for a 100 % playtrough of Awakenings. So, paired with the reduced combat, and the general gameplay changes I wonder how much impact will anything have.

CrimHead said:

A case of completely missing stupidly obvious sarcasm.

Crimhead, Crimhead. Don't make a fool of yourself. I wasn't saying you were missing the point, I was saying Bioware was. I was agreeing with you.

Konjad said:
Crooked Bee said:
As to the reason why, it's explained by none other than DGaydar himself:

DGaider on Bioboards said:
Why can't it simply be a toggle?
Because it has a profound effect on the difficulty. Hence it being attached to the difficulty.
Or that, anyhow, is what I assume. Attaching things to toggles is great, but if someone flips that on and doesn't know that it will suddenly make their "Easy" game not quite so Easy anymore... well, that wouldn't be good.

:facepalm:

That's an insult to the audience I think.

Yes, it would make sense that Gaider meant that in a condescending tone. He often says things that piss board memers off, and keep in mind that it was him who wanted Throne of Bhaal to be more of a challenge from the outset but had to settle for the ascension mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom