Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity 2: The endings are all immensely horrible. [Heavy Spoilers]

Yeah, I agree. They could have turned the whole Asteroid reaction into a really interesting arc, too - where maybe you are the lone witness trying to convince the factions to take this fucking thing seriously and they think you're a tinfoil idiot, or some of the factions realise it's a real doomsday but keep it under wraps and you decide what to do, so on and so forth. But that simply didn't happen. Obsidian have said how this disconnect is a massive flaw that came about from partly trying to squeeze in too many themes without being able to properly blend them together.

I mean, this is exactly how real life works, right

The tinfoil thing is a great point. Before the meeting, I half expected the factions to question the Watcher about a piece of info that's so outlandish. But no, they all apparently just take him for his word. It's what they do after the reveal that's hilarious to me. They basically bicker like mewling children, instead of powerful heads of their respective factions. I mean, even in Skyrim, the Empire and the Stormcloaks were able to sit down and hammer out a deal...and by Talos, they were having a civil war no less!

Doesn't Wael kill Eothas if you give him the body in FS? Or does he show up after the wheel is already destroyed.

Dunno mang. The Loredump NPCs in FS claim that Wael's titan can stop Eothas' titan, but I rammed a red hot poker up Wael's ass and used his body for crafting material.

I normally just ignore DLC endings because 9 out of 10 times they are bullshit lol...

What was up with that dragon? Why was it there? It's the kind of thing that makes you wonder if the designer building that encounter ever thought "Why are we putting a robot dragon here?" but held their tongue. Eothas is definitely too big for you to fight conventionally, but he is an obvious candidate for a memorable final boss after chasing his giant green form the entire game. Well, I suppose that technically the final boss is one of the factions you've pissed off showing up in the absolutely final encounter - but that was so forgettable I am currently questioning whether that actually happened after you spoke to Eothas.
mystery.png

I really liked the 4 faction set-up. I would have prefered if the game had no god nonsense and instead focused entirely on the factions' struggle for control over the region as well as their differing opinions on dangerous new technology (luminous adra). The Skype Gods were really the worst of the worst. Zero player agency and railroaded scenes, but without the visual spectacle of a AAA cutscene. Just pictures to look at while the narrator drones on.

Woedica, the goddess of justice, tyranny and Skype, kind of explained that they meshed 3 dragons into one to guard the Lost City. I'm not sure if they put that explanation there at some point post-launch, but it's one of those things that you need to dig very deep in order to find out.

It also just occurred to me that Bereth literally did nothing to help you with confronting Eothas. She could've empowered you in some way to put you slightly more on an equal footing with Eothas. I mean, she could also just possess you like Eothas possessed Waidwen during the Saint's War.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Woedica, the goddess of justice, tyranny and Skype, kind of explained that they meshed 3 dragons into one to guard the Lost City. I'm not sure if they put that explanation there at some point post-launch, but it's one of those things that you need to dig very deep in order to find out.
Yeah, I think that was added in the main story patch, after I played it. But my concerns are less with the in-universe explanation to why it was there, and more with why the game practically ends with a big fight against a robot dragon that was never mentioned until now. There was no build-up for it either, it's just kinda there. You come ashore, you fight it, you talk to Eothas. And that's the Lost City of Ukaizo, ladies and gentlemen. It's like you said, you don't even realize it was the "final boss" before the credits roll.

Yeah, I think that was added in the main story patch, after I played it. But my concerns are less with the in-universe explanation to why it was there, and more with why the game practically ends with a big fight against a robot dragon that was never mentioned until now. There was no build-up for it either, it's just kinda there. You come ashore, you fight it, you talk to Eothas. And that's the Lost City of Ukaizo, ladies and gentlemen. It's like you said, you don't even realize it was the "final boss" before the credits roll.

I totally agree. The appearance of the robot dragon was extremely sudden. It's also emotionless, characterless and has no important bearings on the story at all...It's like the worst final boss lol...

I also have another question for some people in this thread. So you guys are saying that it makes sense that you can't dissuade Eothas from destorying the Wheel because he's too powerful. But then...why are you allowed to persuade him to destroy every living thing outright? (The Rymrgand Ending) It seems way more far fetched than persuading Eothas, the God of Redemption, to refrain from destroying the Wheel and potentially endangering everybody, seeing how Eothas is supposedly having a Neutral Good alignment.

Silly Germans

It is kinda funny how the game actually promotes/demotes(?) the player into a "Watcher" with its finale. Like an unintentional fourth wall breaking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom