Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Planar Conquest - Very reminiscent of Master of Magic - Opinions?

mindreader

Novice
Background: There once was a kickstarter called Worlds of Magic. Years later apparently the game came out and was buggy as hell (more than the original MoM). Then they decided to port the game to mobile for the money (survival). It came out, races and planes were dlc locked. May 30: A rebranded version of the game Planar Conquest is released on steam to little fanfare, but it caught my eye. All races and planes are unlocked on PC by default.

Reviews so far indicate that it is pretty decent, has very few bugs, and is very similar to master of magic. Differences:

* Unlike every other 4x game, apparently the AI is on point. Or it cheats a lot. I can't quite tell from the steam reviews. In any case, it is very aggressive and I've seen it take people out early on a few occasions in let's plays (they were mostly playing blind and greedy).
* The original swords, shields, resistance system has been replaced with dnd style dice rolling, savings throws, AC, criticals, etc.
* The spells are more numerous, rebalanced, and based on earth, wind, water, fire, life, death, but also broken them down by effect (augmentation, summoning, destruction, etc), so you can have, for example, a wizard with only summoning spells, or merely guarantee your wizard has a lot of destruction spells.
* There are more traits you can have, many from MoM, but there are also negative traits allowing you to pick more spellbooks or more positive traits to compensate.
* Instead of having one magical plane, instead it has seven planes, prime material aka planet earth, and one for each of the above, with its own bonuses, tile types, resources, etc. You could start on any of them.
* The UI is a little shitty because it came from mobile (left clicks only), but the let's players I've seen seemed to do okay. There have been multiple unsubstantiated claims that "the devs are working on it".
* Graphics are decent, they are not the same as was in the mobile version, but there is a lack of larger scale animations (like summoning, vanquishing), pictures of cities, and music the original had. Units, however, are in 3d and fully animated.
* Races are high men, orcs, dwarves, dark elves, gray elves, draconians, myrodents (klackon), unhallowed (undead). Undead are special in that every city they take over becomes undead, and also use corrupted tiles as food. Every faction seems to have many more (or are perhaps entirely composed of) unique units.
* A lot of quality of life things. Buildings and units can be queued up. Spells can be cast, and then stored for later. For example, saving up a spell of return, not that you'll ever need it. City UI shows all cities instead of one at a time. You can bookmark favorite spells.
* There is some 10 city soft limit, presumably to decrease late game micromanagement, but I don't know how well it works in practice.

Explorminate overview: https://youtu.be/u-XNa3K_bTs
Dev tutorial series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLCc3wgdno

I'm posting this because this is by far the most promising MoM-alike I have ever seen. The game is not getting much press and I'm extremely curious to see if anyone on the codex has an opinion I would actually rely on.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
We talked about it briefly on the WoM thread.
Check out the first, superearly impressions by covr and myself from here. Covr is less impressed than I am, but well, those are the two available opinions ATM.

I think if you loved MoM you're going AT LEAST to like this. Possibly more than that (too early to tell, also they're working on it still).
I mean I read in the Steam forums that there's a special feature on the Paradise plane ONLY that lets you resurrect dead Heroes.
Haven't found it yet, but see, this is what I'm talking about. It's a small team and the game ain't certainly perfect but these guys understand what they're supposed to be doing with a MoM "sequel".

Last edited:

mindreader

Novice
Ah, I didn't realize there was a worlds of magic thread, I pretty much missed the boat on that version. Thank you!

Edit: Thank you for actually checking out the game unlike damn near everyone else in that thread. And I think I'm going to get this. I'm just too excited to pass it up.

I loved master of magic, but I played it much later than everyone else did and I see its flaws, even with mods. Many of which are fixed in this game.

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
The spells are more numerous, rebalanced, and based on earth, wind, water, fire, life, death, but also broken them down by effect (augmentation, summoning, destruction, etc), so you can have, for example, a wizard with only summoning spells, or merely guarantee your wizard has a lot of destruction spells.

I've bought original, boxed copy of WoM. Inside there was a book with all the spells, probably based on some concept documents as it contains three times more spells than in the WoM/PC :) I did not managed to see different and new spells in PC however I hope that some of them exists.

JarlFrank This thread should possibly be merged with this one http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-worlds-of-magic-thread-its-out-sorta.81221/

mindreader

Novice
Master of magic has 40 spells per school, or 200 by my count? I can't seem to find an exact count in PC, but looking through some spell lists and steam comments, the spell list is at least 300. I'm counting 55 life spells alone back in their mobile game release, who knows what they added since then. Apparently magic was massively overhauled since worlds of magic.

I do see a few copy pastes, ie freezing weapon, shocking weapon, etc., but not an alarming amount of them.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, some of the spells exists in more then one category. But looking at this now... who knows, there may be even 200+ spells.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Yeah, some of the spells exists in more then one category. But looking at this now... who knows, there may be even 200+ spells.
the exact count is 312 spells in Planar Conquest. There were a few more in WoM, but we decided to overhaul the system and get rid of some of those less functional, overlapping or just bugged to hell and back.

kris

Arcane
Edit: Thank you for actually checking out the game unlike damn near everyone else in that thread. And I think I'm going to get this. I'm just too excited to pass it up.

Thank you? Plant detected.

I was burned by WOM, I will avoid the fire this time.

mastroego

Arcane
kris: hmm, if you have WOM, you should have received Planar Conquest for free. Didn't you?

Honestly, I think if PC was the thing actually released as the direct result of the WoM kickstarter, there would have been no complaints.
It's a legit product this time around. Sure it's still perfectible and hope they'll work precisely on that.

rezaf

Cipher
I just don't get it, how come a game released in 2016 can have an UI much, much worse than what MoM did two decades ago in 320x200?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom