Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Planescape Torment technical difficulties.

Orderian

Literate
Hello again Codexians! How are you all? I was wondering if you could afford me some more advice/help? After getting back into the game, Im noticing that PS:T seems to be using only 1 Core from my CPU and as such my shoddy old laptop is spinning up the fan to cool it, resulting in a very distracting noise. Is this normal? Can I fix it? My laptop isnt great, but I feel it should run a game from 1999 without too much stress.

Here are my specs: Compaq Preasrio CQ61. Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @ 2GHZ. 4MB RAM. Windows 7x64.

Id be grateful for any assistance. :)

It's perfectly normal that it uses only one core - programs back then weren't written with multiprocessing in mind. Not sure about the fan though. The game probably runs at whatever speed it can get out of the CPU, which means that on newer systems it's producing mostly heat. That might be annoying, but shouldn't be a problem.

Orderian

Literate
Awesome, thank you. I have Core Temp running showing me where the Loads are etc. I did recently set my laptop to boot up with both cores and I have tried setting PS:T Core Affinity to both CPUs and/or using the second CPU to see if that helps. Its just loud and annoying, the new Enhanced Edition games dont do this, were they optimized for more than one core?

No Great Name

Arcane
Your processor should be fine even with a single core. System requirements for Planescape Torment specify 1.33 GHz only.

rohand

Cipher
Do not worry about any of the classic IE games hardware-wise, you should be fine.

It does look like your laptop may have some dust problem in its cooler. Have you tried vacuuming it or stg?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Clean out your laptop properly, it's most likely a dust issue. Don't just vacuum the ventilation ports - open the bad boy up completely. One of my older laptops got a 12-month life extension after I did that. There is no way for you to get PST to run on two cores but you could force it to be on the second one while Windows uses the first one - this might help share the load a tiny bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom