Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planetside Free for a Year

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
DarkSign said:
That's us :)

Hold on there, hombre, you still need to create your game.

spacemoose

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
All of the guns in Planetside are so nerfed to the point where none of it makes sense. You can kill an advanced armor with three or so shots of a shotgun pistol, but it takes 6+ guided rockets to kill someone in light armor.

disagree, its actually very well balanced right now. every weapon has a specialty that its good at, and if you try to use it for something else, you will probably get your ass handed to you. as you mentioned, rockets don't hurt infantry much, this is because they are meant as AV weapons, not AI

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yes, but that also doesn't make any sense. Rockets are filled with explosives. It doesn't make any sense that something that can hurt a heavily armored tank or a guy in power armor can't hurt a guy in light armor.

As for the other guns, it still holds true. The only gun which is efficant (er, adjective form of efficacy) is the mini chaingun. The rest are pretty spammy in nature.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
It doesn't make any sense that something that can hurt a heavily armored tank or a guy in power armor can't hurt a guy in light armor.

I think it needs to be balanced in that respect because it is stupid-easy to get any of those big guns when you access one of the consoles near the regeneration tubes. Also the anti-armor weapons are just as weildy and easy to use as normal guns in Planetside, unlike the real world. You shouldn't be able to shoot and hit another combatant who is firing their SMG into your stomach, nevermind even keep the launcher on your shoulder.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yes I understand that it is done so for balance reasons. It's still stupid. The anti-armor weapons are actually MORE wieldy and easy to use. Tribes had the same problem, "balance" was attained by making all of the guns frustratingly difficult to use. Now, I did pretty good at Planetside (low ping + experience with Tribes), but it's not much fun.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
The anti-armor weapons are actually MORE wieldy and easy to use.

Now that I think about it, yeah, you are right. I know I usually switch to my rockets when flying with my reaver when attacking some infantry, just because it is a pain to try and hit the infantry with my machine gun and I am sure to at least get some splash damage with the rockets.

Maybe if there was some kind of auto-aiming feature that helps you hit targets when you are using a relatively smaller gun compared to using rocket launchers or main tank guns it would be better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom