Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pool of Darkness....

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Goldbox game GOLDBOX GAMES WHATS UP with that!

Times to fire up winuae to find out....so ..any advice?

:smug:

deus101

ehm...what kinda disk image copy did i get involved in?

I can raise every attribute to 18...and there are some chars here allready where someone also added 18 to everything...the fuck.

deus101

whoooops....DANG DRM!

*need to download the manual*

deus101

hmm....maybe this can be my LP project...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Strange choice for your first Goldbox game, but I wish you luck.

deus101

yeah...i probably should have started with Pool of radiance no?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes. Or Champions of Krynn/Gateway to the Savage Frontier.
PoD is the good game, but too high-level for my taste. But if you like this - play PoD and don't listen to me.
;)
I prefered to drag my party through all four games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's not so much that it's high level or the 4th game, but simply that it was pretty much designed "for the experienced Gold Box gamer." For those who thought the previous 3 games were way too easy. Playing it first is therefore an... interesting choice. Definitely worth blind LPing if that's what you'll do.

jaylittle

Scholar
deus101 said:
yeah...i probably should have started with Pool of radiance no?
PoR is the best in the series. However I really liked PoD myself. It is extremely high level though. But what other game allows you to travel throughout the innards of a God and manipulate his organs in various ways?

PoD rocks but it is quite difficult. The end battles are extremely tough. There are a series of three of them and you'll need to be extremely well prepared for them. Start with something a bit easier to bite off and chew. PoR is a good choice as is Curse of the Azure Bonds. Secret of the Silver Blades sucks for the most part.

kmonster

Augur
If you feel skilled enough start a blind PoD longplay. It's definitely doable.

If not start with Secret of the Silver Blades, it's far easier and you can import your characters from there into PoD to start with more XP and better equipment.

Advice: Read the Manual

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The difficulty is directly related to the number of fighter/mages you have in the party. (ranger/mages to be specific)

jancobblepot

Educated
Hi! Newfag here.

I want to play Pool of Radiance... Which version should I play? I loved the NES version, but I want the real thing.

jancobblepot said:
Hi! Newfag here.

I want to play Pool of Radiance... Which version should I play? I loved the NES version, but I want the real thing.

If you don't care about sound: dos version. It is nice and quick, with little hassle.

If you like sound: Amiga version, though it can play a little slowly in emulators.

If you are like me, ie a C64 fag: C64 version. Good sound as well.

Graphics are just about the same for all versions. And to be honest, the sound effects are not the be all and end all of the Goldbox games. PC dos version is probably the best if you want the easiest option, and want to continue your characters on through the series. Same goes if you play through the Krynn series, the Savage frontier series, or the Buck Rogers series.

deus101

I think a blind LP of PoD would be fun for you guise, but don't expect me to finish it completely...

I'll boot up again and try to finish that fight at the gate attleast(if i can find the damn thing, you know the first quiest i got from the town hall).

deus101

Blackadder said:
jancobblepot said:
Hi! Newfag here.

If you don't care about sound: dos version. It is nice and quick, with little hassle.

If you like sound: Amiga version, though it can play a little slowly in emulators.

If you are like me, ie a C64 fag: C64 version. Good sound as well.

Graphics are just about the same for all versions. And to be honest, the sound effects are not the be all and end all of the Goldbox games. PC dos version is probably the best if you want the easiest option, and want to continue your characters on through the series. Same goes if you play through the Krynn series, the Savage frontier series, or the Buck Rogers series.

SID Chip :love:

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The difficulty is directly related to the number of fighter/mages you have in the party. (ranger/mages to be specific)

Yep. The game forces you to powergame to win. That one of the issues with 2e because they better be dual class fighter/mages

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Note that the Amiga version (at least the Amiga version I played 20 years ago) is bugged. The Cloaks of Displacement make you immune to physical attacks.
So anyone planning to take characters from Secret to Pool would be better off using the DOS version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom