Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pope Amole II's YT review of 2.03 enemy immunities and game balance

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
really? didn't konw it was a codexer. cool stuff! Feel free to change the title to Pope Amole II YT review.

btw, popes, i disagree p. much 100% with you on the 2.03 changes. :)

only means slicken isn't insta-win anymore. forces you to utilize other spells.

yes, the overload of immunities to already lackluster martial class abilities only serves to highlight how... lackluster they are, but it doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of combat.

whoever was REALLY relying on their barbarians shouts was doing it wrong, and i know you would agree with me on this. the barbarians only useful ability is carnage for AoE-melee disabling/draining.

max INT fighters can easily land 10+ second prones on enemies that can be proned with their knockdowns, so the +20% dmg is just a bonus. i also think you're underestimating the effectiveness of armored grace since now these changes make the fighter the undisputed king of single-target DPS if built for it. a dual-wielding fighter with high deflection, high endurance, high accuaracy and high health that can further boost their ACC every fight with an instant-cast ability with a recovery time of ZERO?

yes please!

@PopeAmoleII

Drudkh

Learned
So, here i am, (hello everyone) a person who's created an account just to discuss a game that i'm totally disgusted with but addicted to at the same time like some folks here.

I just watched this vid earlier and after reading aweighs' comments i had to defend Pope Amoles' anaylsis.

This new patch is so inept and idiotic, it's only reasonable that it has been crafted by a company like Obsidian.

The so called buff of the Fighter is not only minuscule, but has been outweighed by the all the lazy/arbitrary immunities given to plenty of the enemies; the knock down+long duration build of the Fighter has been completely obliterated. (that was a weak build anyways, but alteast it provided variety) Leaving the Fighter as a point and click class with almost no micro (which is the opposite of the directors intention i thought) has been achieved. (Atleast the class is now closer to BG so i guess that's good?)

The Barbarian did actually have some useful (just good enough to invest in during the first half of the game) non frenzy and carnage skills with the barbaric yell, which has been almost completely nullified with all the new enemy immunities. This gives the class even less strategic variety.

So ultimately, what are we left with? The immunities that have been added solely effect the strategic options of classes that aren't even the among the best, (although as Sensuki has pointed out, pre fight positioning matters infinitely more than strategy in this mess of a combat system) and a patch which makes important boss encounters even more RNG focused with less possibly strategies... They still haven't even implimented an option to disable autosave so we aren't flooded with useless old saves polluting our load menu... They impliment the pumpkin head gimmick and on the very same patch acknowledged that it's broke... what? Fire everyone.

Ziem

Arbiter
okay so now just make all these shitty debuffs actually impactful instead of mmostyle "-5% this, -5% that, -5% nobodygivesafuck" and it might actually be good
heres hoping that they will figure this out by the time they start working on poe2

jk obsidian never made a game with good combat so they probably never will

ArchAngel

Arcane
This patch is a step in a good direction, but they need many more.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
totally disgusted but addicted is a perfect description for the PoE. :)

i'm officially taking a break from poe until TWM2 comes out, am having tons of fun with bg1.

sensuki, a wholeheartedly think you should give twm1 a try, or even just a POTD playthrough with 2.03 patch. i think you'd enjoy it MUCH more than ever before. of course i understand you might be burnt out, since you been in this shit since the very moment sawyers spermatozoid penetrated roguey's eggs, so it's cool, but TWM and 2.03 will provide a vastly different experience.

what i don't know if you will enjoy it though. i can guarantee you'll enjoy disengagement more, since it's, um... gone. it is a 100% completely trivial non-issue. might as well enable no-engagement now every time with IE mod and disable the arrows because now, more than ever before the game simply does not give a fuck about engagement. it is the very definition of a feature that does nothing now. enemies (mostly the ones in TWM, but all of the enemy ai was updated) have better targetting clauses, though it's still PoE. i'm not gonna bullshit you. just better than before. you might have to move your units away BEFORE the PotD-swarm blitzkriegs thru your martial units, very very similar to what i'm experiencing currently on bg1, btw.

tldr my point is i woudl greatly enjoy and appreciate your sensuki input on 2.03/twm :)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Even if I was considering giving it another shot (I'm not), the IE mod does not work with the latest versions, and I won't play without it.

I'm sure there are lots of people who'd love to see me give it another go and hear my thoughts. Personally I'm more interested in what Roguey thinks :lol: That should be a fun read

Most recently I've been thinking of playing Dark Sun Shattered Lands, because I never finished it back in the day.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't understand why roguey hasn't played it. but he's never shown the kind of keen eye for the crude numbers like i've seen from posters like you, from sea, from the eponymous euro-grognard i'm referencing ITT, and etc. oh, yeah, meant to say and from Crooked Bee. Bee's analysis/play-through/philosophical evaluation/dissertation on Wizardy 4, the Vecna one, was absolutely mind-blowing and made my balls drop and my synapses orgasm. so much respect!

p. sure roguey will just copy/paste sawyer mitochrondial thought symbiosis dressed up in super concise and coherent writing that will avoid circular logic and squared argumentation of the subject matter. tldr "2.03 poe is flawed gem bestowed by sawyer on unwashed peasants like so many prometheus lighting the fires of immunity: blindness on Oozes."

prove me wrong roguey.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Roguey wants to wait until there are no more patches. To be honest, that's a pretty good idea if you only intend to play a game once through.

Drudkh

Learned
It's weird that you label the anylasis of the vid you posted as "Grognard" aweigh, because i agree with it and i'm not a grognard by any means. I'm sad to admit that i haven't even played d&d in real life (no nerd friends) and i don't even mind cool downs. It just seems obvious to me that the immunities added to this patch really are totally arbitrary rather than the devs making a proper effort.

Just for example take some of the status effects of this game in general, stuff like poison even matters less in this game than a final fantasy game. I can play thru PotD with no prob without even worrying about the trivial immunities. (everything besides stun/paralyze) All that matters is pre fight positioning and a custom party with proper builds and weapon varieties, then you can pretty much auto attack.

Also, when it comes to the IE Mod, we shouldn't have to wait for the IE Mod to be updated with each patch, the devs are too prideful to scrap the rubbish disengage penalty system, so we have to pay for it along with the silly no pre buffs allowed before engaging enemies which is a shallow and contrived way of making the game more difficult. Oh, and i forgot the arbitrary gear restrictions which further punishes folks that wanna stack certain attributes simply for the fun of making a character focused on a certain attribute. (why?) Make the game harder by giving the enemies more effective and powerful skills rather than give the player less build tinkering and combat options.

Good choice of username. Autumn Aurora!

:D I know it's off topic but Autumn Aurora for life man. Even if the band has kinda been weak in the past years, the talent for composing is still there.

Sensuki

Arcane
Yes, I only listen to the first three albums really - Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora and Blood in Our Wells.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Same gear stacking is not a good idea Drudkh , and it makes game harder to balance. IE games didn't have it, 3e D&D games did and you too easily made OP characters.

Sensuki

Arcane
I also thought that the suppression system was a good idea, at least for that particular game. Not required in every game.

Drudkh

Learned
Yes, I only listen to the first three albums really - Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora and Blood in Our Wells.

Well, many would probably say that's all you need :D Those are my three faves as well followed by Microcosmos, also the album they released earlier this year is pretty good as well. It's interesting how they're kinda elders in the genre, but their particular sound might be called "hipster black metal" nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom