Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portal 2

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
As much as I rank the first one as one of my favourite purchases (well, technically it's a 'procurement' since it was free with Steam's 'Look at us! We're on Macs now!' event), I'm kind of reserving any potential excitement for the sequel until after it's been released, commented on by friends and internet, and, for lack of better term, 'demoed' for my personal use.

Why? Well, one of the things I liked most of the setting and style of the first game was it kind of compared to Metroid (well, pre-Super to be specific, as even the GBA titles threw in some character specifics/interaction in mix) in sake of character anonymity and reaction to the environment. With what I've been hearing of the sequalization of the series (which did provoke more than a few shocked question marks in my head when first announced) and the 'additions' therein, I'm really afraid that Valve is going to Other M the shit of it.

But, meh, we'll see how it turns out I guess.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
MapMan said:
For those who liked Portal and would like to play more of the same but much harder then try Portal: Prelude

http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-prelude
Do you know if there's a way to make that work with a pirated version of Portal? I'm having trouble here. Apparently the mod is supposed to go into your Steam Games list and be activated through that.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I suppose the actual game was fairly enjoyable, but that fucking song at the end sell annoys the hell out of me...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Dicksmoker said:
MapMan said:
For those who liked Portal and would like to play more of the same but much harder then try Portal: Prelude

Do you know if there's a way to make that work with a pirated version of Portal? I'm having trouble here. Apparently the mod is supposed to go into your Steam Games list and be activated through that.

Are you a cheap enough dude to not be able to buy Portal?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I addressed that problem by getting it when they released it for free :smug:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Gragt said:
Dicksmoker said:
MapMan said:

Are you a cheap enough dude to not be able to buy Portal?
15 dollars for 2-3 hours of content...yeah I'm that cheap.

Multi-headed Cow

DriacKin said:
I suppose the actual game was fairly enjoyable, but that fucking song at the end sell annoys the hell out of me...
I still love cake is a lie, weighted companion cube, and the song at the end, it's just that they got splattered all over the internet which is a bit annoying. When I was actually playing the game brand new however it pleased me greatly. I still get a kick out of it when I replay Portal once in a blue moon.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Destroid said:
Twice as long! A whole 4 hours worth of gameplay, where is my wallet!
Moar like 20 minutes rite?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1U5RUVENNE

Dicksmoker said:
There must be. I've played it.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Don't play Portal: Prelude. It's completely based on trial-and-error and trick jumps. It also has very annoying text-to-speech "voice acting".

Play Portal: The Flash Version MapPack instead. It's so awesome that many of its maps were officially included in the 360 version.

Wild Slop

Arcane
The flash version is fun. Though I'd wager many levels are best left in the 2d side view.
Playing that in 1st person would cause motion sickness.

Drog Black Tooth said:
It also has very annoying text-to-speech "voice acting".

You mean the character that is supposed to be an emotionless AI? Oh my god she doesn't sound like a real human!
*edit* Yeah, silly me..

taplonaplo

Scholar
Dicksmoker said:
Think you can jog your memory a bit old chap?
I torrented the shit down and i had nothnig to do but doubleclick to start.

Portal prelude wasn't so bad, yea it needed trick jumping and trial and error, but i'm fine with that. Having to shoot a wall behind a stair on the other hand was just a cheapshot tho. At least you got the idea what you had to do most of the time, unlike with some maps in the FV pack where you could really get fuckin lost.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a fun little mini game with good atmosphere. That said it should be given to people free for signing up to Steam and not sold for $20. Of course if you get it in the Orange Box for around $30 (and assuming you will play HL2 and TF2) it's a decent throw-in.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Drog Black Tooth said:
Don't play Portal: Prelude. It's completely based on trial-and-error and trick jumps.
After finally getting it to work and playing it for several hours now, I'm inclined to agree with this. Currently on Test 9 and not really enjoying it that much. I've had to look up several stages but beside that, there aren't that many changes in dynamics from level to level. Portal kept adding new elements with each map, making them seem fresh. Beyond that, I think the fun of Portal is in the puzzle solving aspect, not tricky platforming and shooting mechanics.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
15 dollars for 2-3 hours of content...yeah I'm that cheap.

Valve was giving it away for free last summer. You missed out, bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom