Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Posting my first RPG codex thread, recommend me games

Suprore

Novice
For a while i've wanted to get more into playing PC rpgs, so i thought today could be the day i made my first post on rpgcodex and asked for your wisdom.

Here's a little about me/my criteria:

1. I'm asking for game recommendations because I was playing SoulBringer until i accidently saved behind and impassible trap i had previously unknowingly glitched through, and am not hardcore enough to load my save from hours earlier just to grind through bullshit to get back to where i was.

I've played all the infinity engine games, and fallout, and Bloodlines, and part of arcanum, (didnt like it, more on that below), and all of the bioware games, and fuck bethesda. I've never played wasteland, and i'm not sure i want to. I like roguelikes.

I thought the Age of Decadence combat demo sucked. Completely missed the point of interesting abilities, just made me pick between a few different flavors of slugfest every fight.

I seriously hate combat mechanics that involve a d&d or jrpg style combat. Pretty much any game where you click on your opponent and they take 1-6 damage, and then you take 1-6 damage, but eventually your heroic charms and massive stockpile of healing potions wins out. Additionally, turn based games where i'm not making any kind of big tactical decision each turn. I vastly prefer shitty realtime to shitty tbs, it's easier to overlook. Combat systems i DO like are games like xcom, silent storm, jagged alliance -- fallout squeaks by as sorta fun as long as you grab the extra criticals perk.

I already played the witcher, i liked it, i didn't finish it, I got tired of 30 minute loading screens and walking past monsters forever.

Hybrid heaven is probably my favorite console RPG.

I downloaded LOTR: online last night.

What RPGs should i play, codex?

Suprore

Novice
Man i've read these forums now and then for a while but i'm not going to know all of your circlejerk references, who the hell iis drog?

larpingdude18

Educated
Suprore said:
I thought the Age of Decadence combat demo sucked. Completely missed the point of interesting abilities, just made me pick between a few different flavors of slugfest every fight.
drog.gif

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1493064

Suprore

Novice
so this is all about me thinking age of decadence had boring combat?

It struck me as an awkward lovechild between fallout and Final Fantasy Tactics/front mission (predominately for how it used the grid) made by somebody who had never had fun in his life.

The game still looks cool, im just sure as hell not going to play a combat character if it ever comes out.

Black

Arcane
Say what you want, but Drogg was quite clever to make an alt in 2009 because he knew he might have to use it one day.
Just proves that Master of Arcanum is a force to be reckoned with.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
These shitty Drog alt's need to stop.
Nah, they're by far the most fun alts. I'd take Drog over shitty Prosper spam any day. Besides I'm becoming quite good at spotting the Drogginess!

You also gotta give him credit, this alt's almost 2 years old.

Suprore

Novice
You guys are dicks. I'm just going to try rogue survivor i guess.

spekkio

Arcane
Claiming that any long time lurker wouldn't know who Droog-Kun is was auto-fail, Droog-kun...

:decline:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Suprore

Novice
How could a human being love arcanum and yet bitch about aod's combat? I thought it was shitty considering the goals but i would rather play it a hundred times than clear the starting area of arcanum once on tbs mode.

Eyeball

Arcane
Suprore said:
How could a human being love arcanum and yet bitch about aod's combat? I thought it was shitty considering the goals but i would rather play it a hundred times than clear the starting area of arcanum once on tbs mode.
Because most people who love Arcanum do so in spite of the combat. FOs combat is one of the big best things about the game, in my opinion, and when one of the major selling points for AoD is Fallout-y combat, you're bound to get people criticising that it's different from what they see in their wet dreams.

I feel for you, by the way. I've been reading these boards on and off for years and I still can't understand 1/3rd of the faggotass inbred memes. You are also a man of wealth and taste for liking Hybrid Heaven, which is a retarded but amusing game. How is suplexing a frog-faced mutant NOT awesome?

Otherwise, you might want to play Divine Divinity 1, Divinity 2: DKS (NOT Beyond Divinity, that one sucks ass), New Vegas, Morrowind & Daggerfall (by Bethesda but both fucking good), Arx Fatalis (REALLY fucking good), Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, Mount&Blade or VtM: Redemption (if you want an interesting, well-told story and don't mind a crappy interface). If you like MMOs, City of Heroes is the only one requiring a modicum of thought and teamwork and is ten times better than the other asshole MMOs for this reason.

That's just off the top of my head. There's a ton of shit you haven't delved into, although admittedly, a lot of it is just that: Shit.

Suprore

Novice
Played M&B, vtm, divine divinity. Also ultima underworld years and years ago when i was young. I remember it being really cool. Is #2 significantly better/worth playing?

Wiill check out arx fatalis. Have heard of it a lot, always got the impression it was more dungeon crawl and less rpg.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Suprore said:
I seriously hate combat mechanics that involve a d&d or jrpg style combat. Pretty much any game where you click on your opponent and they take 1-6 damage, and then you take 1-6 damage, but eventually your heroic charms and massive stockpile of healing potions wins out. Additionally, turn based games where i'm not making any kind of big tactical decision each turn. I vastly prefer shitty realtime to shitty tbs, it's easier to overlook. Combat systems i DO like are games like xcom, silent storm, jagged alliance -- fallout squeaks by as sorta fun as long as you grab the extra criticals perk.
My copy of Fallout has pumped up damage of most of weapons and modified critical hit tables. Critical hit in the head is guaranteed 4x damage, the same for the eye shots. Torso critical is guaranteed 3x damage. More, every step of critical hit to these location adds another .5x of damage. So, max damege from a head critical is 8x.
And unlike in the other damage mod, a critical hit is usually required for an instant kill as the damages dealt by weapons aren't so ridiculously high.
Also, I decreased the HP boost from stim-packs. Now they really heal only minor wounds.

It makes combat much more tactical.

Hegel

Arcane
Worry not OP, they think I'm Drog's alt as well.

Little they know, but I'm Andyman's horn. :smug:

torpid

Liturgist
Suprore said:

How could a human being devote countless hours of his life to modding a game, then turn around and devote countless more hours to creating alts for the sole purpose of raging about that same game?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Suprore said:
My copy of Fallout has pumped up damage of most of weapons and modified critical hit tables. Critical hit in the head is guaranteed 4x damage, the same for the eye shots. Torso critical is guaranteed 3x damage. More, every step of critical hit to these location adds another .5x of damage. So, max damege from a head critical is 8x.
And unlike in the other damage mod, a critical hit is usually required for an instant kill as the damages dealt by weapons aren't so ridiculously high.
Also, I decreased the HP boost from stim-packs. Now they really heal only minor wounds.

It makes combat much more tactical.
Im not familiar with Fallout modding scene - what is this are you talking about ?

Also:
Say what you want, but Drogg was quite clever to make an alt in 2009 because he knew he might have to use it one day.
Just proves that Master of Arcanum is a force to be reckoned with.
and:
You also gotta give him credit, this alt's almost 2 years old.

Eyeball

Arcane
Additional suggestion for game to play: Wizardry 8.

Seriously, if you like JA2, this is a MUST-PLAY. It's essentially what you get when you cross Eye of the Beholder with JA. Turn-based, lots of races and classes, skills rise through use as well as leveling up, LOTS AND LOTS of fighting.

Seriously. This game is fightylicious, see the Wizardry 8 thread for more details on that specific aspect of the game.

But if you like a combat-heavy RPG with good tactics, excellent RPG system and a very solid difficulty level that isn't afraid to rape your tender butthole if you step around the wrong corner, Wizardry 8 is actually without equal. Get it.

Epsilon

Cipher
Or Wizards & Warriors :smug:

My summary so far? Go and buy the game if you like old school RPG's. Go and buy it if you don't know much about the older RPG's like Ultima Underworld or Bards Tale. Chances are that you will fall in love with Wizards & Warriors nevertheless. It's epic, it's fun, and it's a game many RPG fans will play over and over again.

If Drog alts are to be successful they need to stop feigning ignorance of Drog's existence

torpid said:
How could a human being devote countless hours of his life to modding a game, then turn around and devote countless more hours to creating alts for the sole purpose of raging about that same game?

Maybe someone can link to a specific event but I imagine the codex broke Drog much like it did with Volourn. They gave up and went full derp. Never go full derp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom