Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Profanity in games

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Sceptic said:
Dirk Diggler said:
There were some pretty fucking :monocle: writers who weren't afraid to scrawl out a curse word now and again buddy.
That's pretty much the whole point.

When the "now and again" becomes "every other page"...

Delivery's also got a lot to do with it. I was kinda surprised when someone pointed out earlier that AP had swearing. I don't remember any of it. Why? because it was used naturally enough that I didn't really notice it, and it didn't stick. ME2, on the other hand...
The reason ME2 profanity didn't fit that well is because it was mostly limited to that one character. Having Sheppard and a few others swear as well at times would have helped a lot. Also it doesn't fit with the first game.

Eyeball

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Eyeball said:
I actually think Max Payne 2 might have a place in the history of bringing the word "fuck" to a wide videogame audience. Sure, FO2 had a lot of profanity in it unless you were playing the sanitised ELV version and Kingpin was fucktastic, but neither game really had that wide appeal due to slow gameplay in the case of FO or just mildly dull gameplay for Kingpin.

Max Payne 2, on the other hand, featured more F-bombs than a Joe Pesci gangster movie and had widespread appeal, not so much due to its own gameplay, which was mediocre, but because of it being the sequel to an extremely popular game. I think MP2 might be the missing link here.

It should also be noted that the GTA games didn't have profanity until San Andreas, where it was kind of required, being a "badass ghettopimp nigga from tha hood yo" type of story.
Have you played GTA 1?

As for fuck bombs, soldiers in some countries tend to use fucks as punctuation marks.
I did play GTA1 - it had no swearing in it. My version was European, though - was there an international fuckniggershitfaggot version?

Eyeball

Arcane
On the topic: I recommend fans of GTA3 and Scarface to play the Scarface game. It plays like Vice City with a more developed economic model (dope running), an excellent voice actor impersonating early 80ies Al Pacino and more fucking fucks than you could fucking fuck fuck FUCK!

Seriously, it has a "taunt" button which you can either use to yell badass things at enemies after killing them for more points or simply scream "Shitass fuck!" and other pleasantries at random passersby. If you ever wondered what it would be like to be a homicidal drug addicted midget with Tourettes syndrome, Scarface is the game for you.

spectre

Arcane
On the topic: I recommend fans of GTA3 and Scarface to play the Scarface game. It plays like Vice City with a more developed economic model (dope running), an excellent voice actor impersonating early 80ies Al Pacino and more fucking fucks than you could fucking fuck fuck FUCK!
Ye gods, the controls on this shit were atrocious. Still, that Al Pacino impersonation was solid gold.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Eyeball said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Eyeball said:
I actually think Max Payne 2 might have a place in the history of bringing the word "fuck" to a wide videogame audience. Sure, FO2 had a lot of profanity in it unless you were playing the sanitised ELV version and Kingpin was fucktastic, but neither game really had that wide appeal due to slow gameplay in the case of FO or just mildly dull gameplay for Kingpin.

Max Payne 2, on the other hand, featured more F-bombs than a Joe Pesci gangster movie and had widespread appeal, not so much due to its own gameplay, which was mediocre, but because of it being the sequel to an extremely popular game. I think MP2 might be the missing link here.

It should also be noted that the GTA games didn't have profanity until San Andreas, where it was kind of required, being a "badass ghettopimp nigga from tha hood yo" type of story.
Have you played GTA 1?

As for fuck bombs, soldiers in some countries tend to use fucks as punctuation marks.
I did play GTA1 - it had no swearing in it. My version was European, though - was there an international fuckniggershitfaggot version?
I played a Polish version it had tons of profanity.

Eyeball

Arcane
As in "Game was in Polish" or "Non-pussified English version released for the benefit of the savage Polacks?"

Jim Cojones

Prophet
It might have been a version translated by pirates. The game wasn't translated officially until four years after it was available in English. And non-official ones often changed a lot in the script.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jim Cojones said:
It might have been a version translated by pirates. The game wasn't translated officially until four years after it was available in English. And non-official ones often changed a lot in the script.
Original 1st edition of GTA in Poland came with a diskette that had an official polish translation patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom