Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS3/XBOX360 - What decent JRPGs did I miss?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I could dig the forum but it may be fun this way.
There aren't so many relevant JRPGs from this era so I think I can share an exhaustive list with my opinion about the ones I remember having played.

The very good ones :
- Tales of Vesperia : Combat is stupid but decent because you have a lot of skills to try throughout the game. Everything else is at least good, the dungeons are good, the cast (the villains, your characters, and more) is globally very good, the world is big and when you visit a location after a while there's generally new side stuff. Probably the most polished JRPG of the era on par with Dark Souls in my opinion.
- Resonance of fate : Mostly a dungeon crawler. Very good one-shot combat if a little repetitive, the characters you play are somewhat cool, the story is good as long as it's serious, but character developpement is a little limited (what's there is fun, though).
- Demon's souls, Dark souls : good dungeon crawling with good RT combat (which is rare)

The good ones :
- Blue dragon : Class system and classic turn-based combat (good point), exploration is correct, the game looks great, the story has some good parts but many dialogs and the villain suck.
- Lost odyssey : First, the short stories to read are great. Kaïm and Satie (the two main playable characters) are decent even if far worse than in the stories to read, the rest of the cast is far worse. The combat system and character developement are good but not great. The story is not very good. The exploration is also a little weak (backtacking is meh compared with Tales of Vesperia and even compared with Blue Dragon).
- Valkyria chronicles : the only SRPG I have played unless I miss something. I like many things in the game, the presentation and the graphisms especially, which are sometimes disputed ; the story and dialogs aren't good, and the score based on the time is annoying : it's hard to choose between no caring and feeling that you don't play the game well or caring and feeling that...you don't play the game well either.
- Eternal sonata : Good combat system ; the story sometimes switches between different parties. The game sometimes looks very good. However the characters and story are a little too much on the cute part and the game is a little short.

The decent ones :
- Ni No Kuni : I love the story but side quests suffer from quantity over quality, the non-combat spell system is unfortunately very limited (it could have been great). About the combat, it's average Real Time with AI-controlled companions, which I don't like. The exploration isn't good because of many little things (too linear, side bosses who appear only after accepting a quest).
- Nier : Very good companions, the story is generally decent with some brillant moments, the humour is a success here ; alternative gameplay parts are good too ; some bosses battles are cool. However the side quests suck, the combat mostly suck. Having to replay a part of the game several times is annoying.
- Enchanted arms : The monster collection part is well done (I managed to get all of them, which was cool), the character are not charismatic at all for some reason, everything else (combat, exploration, story, dialogs, humour) is correct but never brillant. Game is finally a little dull.

The mediocre ones :
- Star ocean 4 : the last hope : Combat is vaguely fun and not completely stupid due to the point systems, the main story is OK and there's some side stuff, the insectoid monsters and the bosses are generally very cool designed ; unfortunately there's also an unbearable MMO-side quest system about finding 20 bear skins, etc...and the dialogs between you characters are often ridiculously annoying, which impede you from enjoying the story.
- Infinite undiscovery : the annoying characters ruin the dark story, combat is stupid real time with a AI companions, the game is short.

The "I didn't bother to finish" (could be renamed "I briefly tried”) ones :
- The Witch and the Hundred Knights : Funny trash story ; its Hack&Slash gameplay looks fun at least in theory but I never get into it. I think it's not a game for me and people who like Hack&Slashs should maybe give it a try (I died several times).
- Wizardry : Labyrinth of Lost Souls : I was cooled down by the low number of races (and classes)
- The Guided Fate Paradox : the gameplay, at least at the beginning, is not good enough to get past the look of the game and the stupidity of the setting (it's annoying stupidity, not funny absurdity like in Makai Kingdom or The Witch and the Hundred Knights)

So what other JRPGs on PS3/360 should at least be tried?

Just in case, the ones I intended to play, feel free to take this into account or not :
- Natural Doctrine
- Tales of Xillia & ToX 2 (I read that only the second one is good, but I'll probably still play both)
- Dark Souls 2 (waiting for the “ultimate edition” to be at low price on one of the consoles)
- Dragon's Dogma : I didn't really intend to play this one but the opinions here are very positive, unfortunately I only own the original version, not Dark Arisen, and I heard it is very inferior
- FF13, I briefly tried it but I have better FFs to play first, especially War of The Lions.
- Tokyo Jungle
- Disgaea D2, but I still have to finish the first Disgaea

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for ps3 / xbox 360? man, that's a tough one. not many good JRPG's for either console. I notice you didn't list The Last Remnant for xbox 360 and that one has positive feedback around these parts. it's also available for windows PC though.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow you pretty much had all the ones on my rader, though there is Operation Darkness. The controls suck ass but I think it's a worth a shot. It's one of the only other SRPGs on the 360 and it has nazis and werewolves. There's a demo on the now antiquated Xbox store if you want to see if you can tolerate the bad camera.

The PS3 probably has a lot more in this area. There's Trails of Cold Steel, Lost Dimension (tally to the games with Vita port next to Natural Doctrine), and other games I've never tried but never want to such as Ar something series, Atelier, Neptunia etc. Trails of Cold Steel being part of the Trails in the Sky series and Lost Dimension being some sort of weird SRPG meets Survivor (the TV show) thing were people vote off/kill whoever is the traitor per chapter. They look pretty nice to me.

Tokyo Jungle is more of a weird beat 'em up. I dunno what to call it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i've been kinda thinking about getting into the Atelier games. been hankering for some generic JRPG goodness. from the gameplay videos i've seen on youtube the Atelier games seem like shameless rip-offs of Tails Of~~ games but with traditional turn-based JRPG combat instead of real time combat.

i just haven't played 'em out of laziness and because, well, there's crawlers to play.

Siveon

Bot
They're not much like Tales Of at all, the driving shtick of Atelier is to kill shit to create shit like potions or whatever. Most of the new ones on the PS3/Vita/PS4 don't even have a big bad I think. I just never wanted to try them because they're so damn expensive due to being niche of a niche. Plus the PS3 versions have less stuff in 'em. Each Vita game costs like 30-40 bucks and I don't really care that much for an investment like that.

Now if you want some by-the-book JRPGs, look at the PS1. Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire, Lunar, etc. Ofc the SNES fills that bill too.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
sure, but the problem is i kind of already played every jrpg for nes/snes/ps1/ps2. hell, playing jrpg's on those systems is basically my entire childhood and adolescence. i still remember learning english words from playing Star Tropics and the Goonies game on the NES.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks, bros.

for ps3 / xbox 360? man, that's a tough one. not many good JRPG's for either console. I notice you didn't list The Last Remnant for xbox 360 and that one has positive feedback around these parts. it's also available for windows PC though.
Oh yes, I remember the beginning of the story of The Last Remnant being bad, but people like it here. I'll give it another try, thanks.

Operation Darkness
Nice but, damn, it seems that it was not released in Europe. Ban Microsoft.

Trails of Cold Steel
Thanks, I don't really like school settings, but I may give it a try.

Lost Dimensionl
Totally forgot about this one, thanks, I need to give it a try.

other games I've never tried but never want to such as Ar something series, Atelier, Neptunia
Same for me. I tried Ar tonelico on PS2 and it was terrible ; I fear that Neptunia is almost of the same vein.

i've been kinda thinking about getting into the Atelier games. been hankering for some generic JRPG goodness. from the gameplay videos i've seen on youtube the Atelier games seem like shameless rip-offs of Tails Of~~ games but with traditional turn-based JRPG combat instead of real time combat.

i just haven't played 'em out of laziness and because, well, there's crawlers to play.
Atelier Iris : Eternal Mana was a cute little game, I hate the direction the art has followed in the PS3 episodes. But that's good call, not impossible that I try one someday.

Tokyo Jungle is more of a weird beat 'em up. I dunno what to call it.
OK.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Disgaea has remakes on the psp. Not that i know if they're worse or better, but hey, they're 2d games. At most you'll lose some cringeworthy weeboo FVM. BTW, Mana Khemia 1 & 2 also has a remake/port on the psp but only 1 is translated. Then again, i think MK was a ps2 game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
unfortunately for some reason my brofisting abilities were revoked because i dug up old Blobber threads asking for recommendations for blobbers to play in GRPG and I pasted the list of available blobbers found in this thread.

it hurts a little, i won't lie; but anyway from now on i'll simply post "Brofist!" and tag the Codexer.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
- Dragon's Dogma : I didn't really intend to play this one but the opinions here are very positive, unfortunately I only own the original version, not Dark Arisen, and I heard it is very inferior
Not very inferior, but you would miss out on some improvements to the base game (in particular, expansion of fast-travel that cuts down on tedious backtracking resulting from the aborted Open World conception) and more importantly completely miss out on the expansion dungeon, Bitterblack Isle, which is enormous and better-designed than the existing dungeons. Also, the PC version has a modding community.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
folkore isn't exactly an RPG "RPG" tho, it's basically an action-game with medium-to-light RPG template thrown on top. it's also one of those games where the game disc is 80% cut-scene data and 20% left over is the actual game. it was meant to be a graphical showcase at its time of release.

one question cryptrat: why limit this thread to xbox360/ps3? we both know there's jack shit in those consoles in terms of good JRPG'ing. have you played jrpg's like, say... Mother 3? it's quite simply the motherfucking best jrpg ever made. also have you even ever played any of the dragon quest games? how about SMT: Nocturne for ps2?

let's start with what you've played first and we can wittle down some jrpg options afterwards, with more information on hand :)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Disgaea has remakes on the psp. Not that i know if they're worse or better, but hey, they're 2d games. At most you'll lose some cringeworthy weeboo FVM.
Thanks, I'll look for the most convenient versions to play.

I hear Folklore is very good, if hard to come across.
Thanks, I forgot that this one exists, it looks cool.

why limit this thread to xbox360/ps3? we both know there's jack shit in those consoles in terms of good JRPG'ing.
[screed]
Because we already have a lot of threads about the best JRPGs ever made, a thread about the decent JRPGs on these recent consoles is useful too. Everyone here has a PC, so it's easy to find the closest to our taste emulable/downloable games because a lot of players played them (except for those only recently fan-translated or not translated at all), but much less players have played the PS3/XBOX360 games. We could have missed some good game (Lost Dimension, Natural Doctrine, Operation Darkness? It's not like every codexer gave his/her opinion about theses games, maybe they're exactly the games I want to play and I just don't know).
As examples Tales Of Vesperia is probably the best Tales Of I've played, Resonance of Fate has a very cool setting and a fun and unique battle system, and Eternal Sonata is a JRPG with a turn-based tactical combat system which is far from unique but not the norm either ; these games are definitely worth playing and they are rarely mentioned.

have you played jrpg's like, say... Mother 3? it's quite simply the motherfucking best jrpg ever made. also have you even ever played any of the dragon quest games? how about SMT: Nocturne for ps2?
To answer your questions, my favourite JRPGs are FF6, Earthbound and SMT:Nocturne, and I still have a lot of JRPGs to try on previous systems. Mother 3 is one I still have to play, and for some reasons (mostly localization ones) I only started playing the Dragon Quest games recently, for now I play them chronologically, 1 was mediocre, 2 was good (puzzle/exploration part was great). But let's stick to recent console JRPGs here, this thread doesn't need to become a thread about best JRPGs.
[/screed]

Side question : What about the PSTV? Judging by the size of the catalog on the playstation store no game seems to work but I remember reading that it wasn't that bad. Considering I would buy it to play Vita games and don't care about any other functionality, is it worth buying or not?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the pstv is huge in jap-land. basically any game that comes out for psp/vita in japan can be played in the pstv. other than that factoid i know absolutely nothing about the thing. i don't even know if it's a monthly service or if it streams or what the fuck. seems to me the Vita's a better bet as eventually it'll get reverse-engineered and vita-owners will have a motherfucking 720p hand-held gaming device-slash-tablet/computer due to its built-in traditional console controls including dual sticks and shoulder buttons AND its huge track/touch-pad in the backplate + motion/axis control functions.

can you imagine in a few years popping in your vita memory stick and booting up the cracked OS of the moment and being able to access instantly not only every single game/emulator from previous console generations but also being able to boot up dosbox or a WINE-equivalent and playing an RTS game or a motherfucking Fallout game thanks to the sweet trackpad? i don't know if you've actually used the vita's back-pad but although it takes like 20 mins to wrap ur brain around using it after that it is SUPER natural. they really hit it out of the park with that specific idea: the back-plate track-pad. too bad almost no game released for the Vita naturally even uses it. its potential is insane!

then when you're bored of gaming on your cracked vita imagine then connecting to either the nearest wi-fi or if you are a millionaire and bought the 3G/4G versions connecting to your data connection and streaming whatver the fuck you want and torrenting whatever because the thing is craaacked yo. it's a fantasy for the time being but i have faith the thing will get cracked.

Yup, I never tried the series because I am not fan of Action-fighting 1 versus 100 but I should at least give it a try someday.

None sane person would play Drakengard games for their gameplay and those who tried were instantly mocked by gaemz themselves.

Just suffer for like... sickest story ever?

Or be smart and watch LP instead.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The Atelier games aren't bad. I've played Meruru which is definitely the most :desu: of the bunch. They're basically C&C games with a timer ticking down until the game ends. They aren't aimless, but they do lack a traditional Big Bad Evil. In Meruru the goal is to restore your Kingdom back into its former glory by restoring the town, attracting people to come back and live in it etc.. The biggest turnoff for me was how easy the games combat is, but I guess that isn't the focus of the games anyway. The crafting was pretty good though, if you can get into that kind of stuff. The Mana Khemia games for the PS2, made by the same devs, are muuuuuch better games, though. The Atelier games feel like stripped down versions of Mana Khemia as they lack the dungeon crawling and challenging combat that Mana Khemia provides.

The Kingdom Hearts remakes for the PS3 are good, if you haven't played those before. Dragon's Crown is a beat em up / RPG hybrid and I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes fantasy beat em' up games with amazing art. White Knight Chronicle games are kinda generic jRPGs but they're decent and get the job done if it's a generic jRPG that you want to play. Oh, and never EVER play the Last Rebellion. It is the worst game I have ever played.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The Atelier games aren't bad. I've played Meruru which is definitely the most :desu: of the bunch. They're basically C&C games with a timer ticking down until the game ends. They aren't aimless, but they do lack a traditional Big Bad Evil. In Meruru the goal is to restore your Kingdom back into its former glory by restoring the town, attracting people to come back and live in it etc.. The biggest turnoff for me was how easy the games combat is, but I guess that isn't the focus of the games anyway. The crafting was pretty good though, if you can get into that kind of stuff. The Mana Khemia games for the PS2, made by the same devs, are muuuuuch better games, though. The Atelier games feel like stripped down versions of Mana Khemia as they lack the dungeon crawling and challenging combat that Mana Khemia provides.
Thanks, I enjoyed the first Atelier on PS2 and the first Mana Khemia so it looks like I will have to give some Atelier on PS3 a try, but this art...

The Kingdom Hearts remakes for the PS3 are good, if you haven't played those before.
Thanks, I don't feel a urge to play the series right now, but I tried the first one and it looked OK, so not impossible that I play them someday.

Dragon's Crown is a beat em up / RPG hybrid and I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes fantasy beat em' up games with amazing art.
Yup, just like Dragon's Dogma, I didn't intend to play this one, but considering the praise it gets, I probably should at least try it.

White Knight Chronicle games are kinda generic jRPGs but they're decent and get the job done if it's a generic jRPG that you want to play.
My problem is that I think I won't like the combat system. As you say that additionally it's pretty generic, I probably won't try this one.

Oh, and never EVER play the Last Rebellion. It is the worst game I have ever played.
OK. :)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you know what jrpg is very good? motherfucking xenogears. ppl think they know, but not really; that game is AWESOME. xenogears 4 lyfe. man, what a disappointment the sequeles were. oh well.

also what about top-down view action-RPG's that are NOT Zelda-clones? I'm talking: (SNES) Soul Blazer (SNES) Illusion of Gaia (SNES) Terranigma (SNES) Brainlord...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom